tobytyler

• Standing Ovation? +16/-0
FBC invitation
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »
Usually, the live stream will turn off as the invitation is beginning.  This morning, Easter morning, the live stream continued as Pastor Wilkerson started to read the names of those making professions of faith.  This was the first that I've seen since his coming to FBC, and I was shocked how he asked each person 3 questions, making it much more personal for the new converts.

This reminded me of how Lee Roberson led the Highland Park invitations and how Clarence Sexton leads the Temple Baptist, Knoxville invitations.

My question to the current FBC members, has the way of baptism also changed?  Does Pastor Wilkerson baptize some of the converts?
If the pastor doesn't baptize, who does?  I know Colsten and Moffitt held the duties for decades, and I was wondering if that too has changed.

So far, I like the changes that have been made.  (The choir now needs to use a hymnal as more than 2 verses are sung!)

longlivedunkin

• Standing Ovation? +6/-0
Re: FBC invitation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
Pastor Wilkerson has baptized someone a time or two at their request... Moffitt, Vogel, Woosley, Lutz, and a handful of other men are the usual "baptizers." Colsten is just not able to do it anymore for obvious reasons..

It is nice to see the pastor making it a little more personal for those professing faith. Not so mechanical and assembly line-ish.

tobytyler

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »
What role does Dr. Auclair now have at FBC?  Does he baptize?  Does he teach at HAC or oversee any of the HB schools?

myeyesareopen

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
I am not an authority...since no one really knows what anyone's role is at FBC...
(people who were said to have resigned or been laid off are sitting on the platform, have they been rehired? who knows? and what do all those people do who are on staff, anyway? who really knows!)

But, BA's wife continues to work at the grade school, she is the librarian. Up until recently, BA was one of the baptizers. Haven't seen him up there in a couple of weeks, but he could be ill or on vacation.

As far as I know, he works in the publishing or advertising world now.

patriotic

• Standing Ovation? +174/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »
Pastor Wilkerson has baptized someone a time or two at their request... Moffitt, Vogel, Woosley, Lutz, and a handful of other men are the usual "baptizers." Colsten is just not able to do it anymore for obvious reasons..

It is nice to see the pastor making it a little more personal for those professing faith. Not so mechanical and assembly line-ish.

Is he bring referred to and called "Pastor" Wilkerson instead of "Brother" Wilkerson? 

I have no problem with "Brother", but I like "Pastor So-and-So"  better than either "Brother So-and-So" or "Preacher".  There's a whole lot of difference between being a preacher and being a pastor.  I think many "Preachers" and "Brothers So-and-So" have forgotten how to be "Pastor So-and-So". 

longlivedunkin

• Standing Ovation? +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:49:41 AM »
I am not an authority...since no one really knows what anyone's role is at FBC...
(people who were said to have resigned or been laid off are sitting on the platform, have they been rehired? who knows? and what do all those people do who are on staff, anyway? who really knows!)

But, BA's wife continues to work at the grade school, she is the librarian. Up until recently, BA was one of the baptizers. Haven't seen him up there in a couple of weeks, but he could be ill or on vacation.

As far as I know, he works in the publishing or advertising world now.

myeyesareopen is correct... He may still baptize but he's not on church payroll. Hasn't been for a couple years now. Works for a printing/graphics company in South Holland, IL I believe...

sword

• Standing Ovation? +133/-1
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »
It would be nice to know what staff people are still at FBC / HAC and who has left. I hear one thing this week and the opposite the next week.

Can someone please start a thread on who is where and how they are doing.

BALAAM

• Standing Ovation? +279/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 05:06:32 AM »
It would be nice to know what staff people are still at FBC / HAC and who has left. I hear one thing this week and the opposite the next week.

Can someone please start a thread on who is where and how they are doing.

I have a close relative on the church staff and it is amazing to me how little they even know. You would think they have first hand information but I probably hear more about staff members at the college and other ministries than the staff at the church do.

Still There

FBC invitation
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »
Yes, we are calling him Pastor Wilkerson.  And, I love how he does the invitation and how he asks each person who has accepted Christ as their saviour.  It was funny on Sunday, he even wore a blue shirt instead of white.  OMG.  I don't think anyone on the platform has ever worn anything other than white.  The kids at HB love it when he comes out to the schools.  He and Mrs. Wilkerson goes out to the lobby as soon as church is over and greets people.  It is so different.  As far as singing it's a hoot.  He starts the morning service with telling people what page to turn to and begins singing.  We sing all verses.  He's got Mrs. Colsten all flustered and Bro. Cuozzo, he's in a cloud sometimes.  Pastor can sing, too. 

kaba

• Standing Ovation? +185/-2
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »
Still There, I wish you guys the best. Pastor Wilkerson sounds normal! Hearts can be mended-I know the Great Physician :)