IFB X-Files

• Standing Ovation? +204/-0
Re: Joe Combs and "sheveral vershies"
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »
It's hard to believe what a wicked man he was at the same time he was preaching this message.  Sad!

Of course that's the question I've always wondered about.  Exactly "when" did he start the abuse of his "adopted" child?  This message was preached around 80-81 so I'm not sure of time-line.

Elsa was 22 in 2000 so she would have been 2 in 1980.  I don't believe the abuse started till she was older.  I'd like to think I want to give Combs the benefit of the doubt that he was not hurting this child until after I had his classes.
Barney and Betty Hill give IFB X-Files a 5 Star rating!

Kenneth Arnold should have never seen us!

Thomas Mantell wasn't chasing Venus!

RAIDER

• Standing Ovation? +253/-6
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
It's hard to believe what a wicked man he was at the same time he was preaching this message.  Sad!

Of course that's the question I've always wondered about.  Exactly "when" did he start the abuse of his "adopted" child?  This message was preached around 80-81 so I'm not sure of time-line.

Elsa was 22 in 2000 so she would have been 2 in 1980.  I don't believe the abuse started till she was older.  I'd like to think I want to give Combs the benefit of the doubt that he was not hurting this child until after I had his classes.

Good point.  I had not done the math on that.

rsc2a

• Standing Ovation? +380/-112
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »
What is a New Testament example of someone who lived a 'double life', like the OT men mentioned...you know, the "Do As I Say Not As I Do" types. Don't do the things I've done wrong in my life...but do listen to me when I am speaking the words of the Lord.

Is there anyone like that in the New Testament? Or is Jesus supposed to make a difference in our lives?

Peter. ;)

Quote from: myeyesareopen
When you get right down to it, what do we really learn from some of those OT guys, except "What not to do." They are good examples of flawed persons. Which is of course what each of us is. But once we hit the NT, when the payment is made and grace is unleashed...it's different. In the New Testament you don't have a philanderer with 1000's of wives being held up as someone to listen to but not emulate...it is different, isn't it?

We learn both from the OT. We learn both from the NT.

Some people are so hung up on the OT -- using it almost as an excuse to be a rotten Christian (yes, I torture and rape my daughter but hey -- I'm one heckuva Bible teacher so it 'evens out' -- I mean, David murdered someone so I didn't go THAT far!) that they think it is an ok model to follow...

Agreed.

To me, in a rather simplistic overview, the OT is God saying: "Without the Perfect Sacrifice and without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, this is the best you are going to do..." And then in the NT, once the Sacrifice is made and the Spirit indwells, we have access to something they did not have in the OT. So it SHOULD make a difference, and we shouldn't excuse ourselves our sins on an OT standard when the NT standard is what is now in place.

To be fair, the NT is also saying, "Without the Perfect Sacrifice and without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, this is the best you are going to do..."

Don't know what I'm trying to say, rambling and musing.

:)
"So let's suppose I raped your family." - Ransom

Norefund

• Standing Ovation? +58/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »

Aren't we all.
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down

Allen45Fan

• Standing Ovation? +3/-0
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
I have "What you do with the Bible determines what God does with you" wrote in my Bible still today. One day at College he gave me some advice that I wished now I would have listened to.  But this was even before he was even married. I enjoyed his classes. I learned a few things. To this day I find it hard to believe all the things he was convicted of doing. Today I couldn't take his advice or listen to him preach.

16KJV11

• Standing Ovation? +180/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
What is a New Testament example of someone who lived a 'double life', like the OT men mentioned...you know, the "Do As I Say Not As I Do" types. Don't do the things I've done wrong in my life...but do listen to me when I am speaking the words of the Lord.

Is there anyone like that in the New Testament? Or is Jesus supposed to make a difference in our lives?

When you get right down to it, what do we really learn from some of those OT guys, except "What not to do." They are good examples of flawed persons. Which is of course what each of us is. But once we hit the NT, when the payment is made and grace is unleashed...it's different. In the New Testament you don't have a philanderer with 1000's of wives being held up as someone to listen to but not emulate...it is different, isn't it?

Some people are so hung up on the OT -- using it almost as an excuse to be a rotten Christian (yes, I torture and rape my daughter but hey -- I'm one heckuva Bible teacher so it 'evens out' -- I mean, David murdered someone so I didn't go THAT far!) that they think it is an ok model to follow...

To me, in a rather simplistic overview, the OT is God saying: "Without the Perfect Sacrifice and without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, this is the best you are going to do..." And then in the NT, once the Sacrifice is made and the Spirit indwells, we have access to something they did not have in the OT. So it SHOULD make a difference, and we shouldn't excuse ourselves our sins on an OT standard when the NT standard is what is now in place.

I don't know if anyone in the church of Corinth was living the double life that you are speaking of, but Paul sure had some tough reproofs and instructions to those Christians who were 'sanctified and called to be saints' there.
My arm has been TWISTED by RAIDER so it aint my fault.

kaba

• Standing Ovation? +185/-2
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
I don't admire Hyles, Schaap or Combs, because of their double standards. They preached hard on sin, but yet where doing the same thing they were preaching against. I can admire the men in the old testament that did have sin in their lives, but they learned from they mistakes and they continued to serve the Lord-. I get tired of people trying to compare what Hyles and Schaap did to the faithful men in the Bible-no comparison. Just like some like to compare Dave Hyles to David in the Bible-so many differences.

Evans covered up what Dave did to his daughter! He was bought! Just found out Evans' son divorced his first wife, first wife wasn't allowed to tell anyone at the college because Evans did want anyone to think badly of him! REally-I guess once you cover up one thing it is easy to just keep playing the game and cover up some more!!

myeyesareopen

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
I don't know if anyone in the church of Corinth was living the double life that you are speaking of, but Paul sure had some tough reproofs and instructions to those Christians who were 'sanctified and called to be saints' there.

True, of course. I was thinking more along the lines of the "named main character" types.

RAIDER

• Standing Ovation? +253/-6
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 03:16:23 PM »
I took every class that I could from Combs.  I only remember one "wierd" thing that he said in a class.  It was my junior or senior year.  I believe it was a psychology class.  He was talking about men getting so busy that they forget about their wife.  He said, "Some of you guys ought to go home, walk in the door, and rape your wife".  Now everyone in the class knew what he meant and the Hackers were shouting "Amen" and "Glory", but it felt a little wierd.

16KJV11

• Standing Ovation? +180/-0
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
I took every class that I could from Combs.  I only remember one "wierd" thing that he said in a class.  It was my junior or senior year.  I believe it was a psychology class.  He was talking about men getting so busy that they forget about their wife.  He said, "Some of you guys ought to go home, walk in the door, and rape your wife".  Now everyone in the class knew what he meant and the Hackers were shouting "Amen" and "Glory", but it felt a little wierd.

I have to admit, that is weird, and I have never thought of a physical relationship between my wife and I in that context at all!
My arm has been TWISTED by RAIDER so it aint my fault.