Ransom

• Standing Ovation? +448/-22
Re: The Virtues of Proverbs
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
Folks, I have made clear on another thread that I am bewildered and dismayed by Joe Combs' sins. I am not an admirer of him.

And now, we juxtapose . . .

No ifs, ands, or buts, Joe Combs was the best teacher I had at HAC

Talk about powerful teaching, and it was better than almost every sermon I have ever heard.

But Joe amazed me as he cited verse after verse about the value of wisdom:

Apparently, there's a very fine line between "I am not an admirer" and "I kiss the ground he walks on."

Go ahead, Vince, tell us something else disingenuous . . .

Furthermore, Joe never went far enough to show us that HAC had serious spiritual problems (as did Joe).

Sure, and Tomas de Torquemada had some slight discomfort around Jews.
Take care,
Scott

insanely liberal - ALAYMAN
little runt bully - The Rogue Tomato

Vince Massi

• Standing Ovation? +36/-7
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 08:44:43 PM »
No, Ransom, I said that Joe was the best teacher at HAC and he was. I do not admire him today.

Instead of misquoting me, Ransom, why don't you disagree with me by quoting Scripture showing that wisdom is unimportant?

Vince Massi

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 07:35:39 AM »
Understanding--the ability to benefit from wise counsel. Proverbs 1:5-6

1) Gives you the ability to see how goodness works 2:9
2) Gives you happiness 3:13
3) It preserves the other virtues 5:1-2
4) Impossible to attain without wisdom 10:23 Wisdom and understanding are often listed together and they overlap.
5) People who have understanding seek knowledge 15:14 There is a doctrine that you should not listen to Christians who expose a leader's sins, but understanding goes against that doctrine.
6) Listening to rebuke increases your understanding 15:32
7) Understanding is increased by keeping God's Word rather than man's word Psalm 119:100

Ransom

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
Instead of misquoting me, Ransom

I didn't misquote you, Vince. You just don't like what I quoted.
Take care,
Scott

Vince Massi

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »
Ransom, instead of misquoting me and making false accusations, why don't you show knowledge? Cite Scriptures that show that understanding is not important.

Ransom

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »
Ransom, instead of misquoting me and making false accusations, why don't you show knowledge?

I showed knowledge of Joe Coombs - who, along with his wife, is currently serving a 179-year prison sentence for the sexual abuse and torture of his adopted daughter - that you were obfuscating through weasel words about "serious spiritual problems."

Someone who raped little girls and burned them with a curling iron, while teaching a Bible class in a church college, is in no moral position to be teaching me, you, or anyone else about "wisdom."  Clearly, you have never learned any, either.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:42:01 AM by Ransom »
Take care,
Scott

Vince Massi

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »
Proverbs 18:1-2 is difficult to translate but shows us an important truth.

Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom.  KJV

A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; He rages against all wise judgment. New King James Version

Holding on  to a false doctrine while claiming to be a fundamentalist, a Christian can find himself constantly being defeated by wisdom (the ability to apply knowledge to a specific situation). So he starts preaching isolation, while labeling it separation. You cannot listen to Billy Graham! or the Southern Baptist Convention! or Jerry Falwell! or Bob Jones University! or the charismatics! or Adam Clarke! or Strong's Exhaustive Concordance! or anyone showing the sins of the leader's group!

Eventually, the leader isolates his group enough that his followers cannot learn the errors of their leader.

Some time back, a successful Christian blogger attacked another successful blogger. The second blogger responded with an avalanche of knowledge, the attacker turned to insults and false accusations, and the second blogger continued to use wisdom and knowledge (the ability to recall truth), citing Scripture and actual events.

Badly defeated in a debate that was getting a lot of visits, the attacker began blasting his own followers for checking the second blogger's site to see the other side of the issue. He realized, correctly, that knowledge was an enemy to his cause.

The Proverbial virtues stress the importance of gaining and spreading knowledge. 18:1 tells us that a person who opposes wisdom (the ability to apply knowledge to a specific situation) is meddling with virtues he does not possess. He is hostile and unfriendly because these virtues are an attack on himself.

When you see angry teachers, teachers who rely on false accusations, and teachers who support isolation, Proverbs 18:1 tells us that they are interfering with virtues they do not possess.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:39:23 PM by Vince Massi »

Ransom

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 10:51:49 AM »

1 Timothy 5:8 is easy to translate and shows us an important truth: "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

If a man who refuses to provide for his family is no better than an unbeliever, then how much worse is a man like Joe Combs who tortures and rapes his child?

And who in his right mind would approvingly post Bible teaching from this inhuman monster?

Well, Vince Massi, apparently. God gives more discernment to two-year-olds for free, than your typical Hyles-Anderson student gets when he pays for his edumucashun.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:56:11 AM by Ransom »
Take care,
Scott

BandGuy

• Standing Ovation? +23/-1
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
That's pretty sad if he was the best teacher you had in "college".  You would have been better off with Ergun Caner.

Ransom

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »

Since all the major translations seem to agree on its meaning, it doesn't, in fact, appear all that hard to translate. Though I have little doubt that the rapist lacked the requisite skills, so in his case, it was probably true.

However, you are correct that it shows an important truth:

Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire;
he breaks out against all sound judgment.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding,
but only in expressing his opinion.

In fact, after reading your inaccurate and self-contradictory monologue about irresistible grace, I'm inclined to believe that you also failed to grasp its significance.
Take care,
Scott