The honorable Rev. FSSL, Litt.D., Hon.D.

• Standing Ovation? +177/-671
Northland is now Southern Baptist
« on: October 17, 2014, 06:50:12 AM »
Yes... many alumni are not happy. Here is my take (non alumnus)

1. What is so bad about SBC? Nothing different than any other fundamentalist group.

2. Now Northland will have a legitimate accreditation instead of the TRACS system. All alumnus of Northland will benefit.

3. Northland would have gone the way of Pillsbury... defunct.

4. The SB didn't need Northland..Northland needed the SB.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:52:14 AM by FSSL »
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM! I am the resident "skeptic, critic, purveyor of doubt, self-contradicting, silly, weak-minded, ridiculous, inconsistent, superstitious zealot, deceptive equivocator, hell-bent, disbeliever, contemptuous, doubter, hypocrite, thumb twittler, lying, jackass...

4everfsu

• Standing Ovation? +135/-2
Re: Northland is now Southern Baptist
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 08:44:58 PM »
All good points

Binaca Chugger

• Standing Ovation? +380/-3
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:10:45 PM »
What is Northland? 
Not that I'm saying, but I'm just saying that that's what they say.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
A camp that became a college that became a university that is now a satellite campus.

There we have it!  A camp to campus!
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM! I am the resident "skeptic, critic, purveyor of doubt, self-contradicting, silly, weak-minded, ridiculous, inconsistent, superstitious zealot, deceptive equivocator, hell-bent, disbeliever, contemptuous, doubter, hypocrite, thumb twittler, lying, jackass...

Thomas Cassidy

• Standing Ovation? +43/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »

1. What is so bad about SBC? Nothing different than any other fundamentalist group.
Nothing. It is true there is a broad spectrum of SBC churches from liberal to arch conservative, but the same can be said of IFB.
2. Now Northland will have a legitimate accreditation instead of the TRACS system. All alumnus of Northland will benefit.
TRACS is legitimate accreditation and is recognized by the US Department of Education.

3. Northland would have gone the way of Pillsbury... defunct.
Yes, and for the same reasons. Both appealed to a too-narrow group of churches/parents/students. (My wife is a Pillsbury alum.)

4. The SB didn't need Northland..Northland needed the SB.
Yep.
"Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be, the last of life for which the first was made." Robert Browning

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »
TRACS is legitimate accreditation and is recognized by the US Department of Education.

True. Eventhough TRACS is recognized as legitimate accreditation, TRACS is a joke and has a real credibility problem. Boyce has stellar accreditation.

That is what I tried to communicate, albeit poorly.

kaba

• Standing Ovation? +185/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
What is Northland?

A "College" in the upper Wisconsin woods. Beautiful country.

Binaca Chugger

• Standing Ovation? +380/-3
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
What is Northland?

A "College" in the upper Wisconsin woods. Beautiful country.
Look folks, if it aint HAC, it aint significant!       8)
Not that I'm saying, but I'm just saying that that's what they say.

Dr Bob

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 06:28:40 PM »
Northland never was known for high academics, but it was mission-oriented and taught students to "serve".  I like that (but wish they had a good education, too).  8)

While Northland may drift toward to bottom of academic institutions we all thank God it was not a HAC type "kawledge" that did more harm than good.

Vince Massi

• Standing Ovation? +36/-7
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 09:00:36 PM »
I don't know the details of Northland's decision, but it worked for Falwell. Although he kept his university independent, he took his church into the Convention. This allowed Falwell to get better teachers and better academics.