greggordon

• Standing Ovation? +0/-0
The Publican and Pharisee, A Lesson in Pride and Humility
« on: February 13, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
[Post deleted. See admin note below.]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:47:20 PM by FSSL »
Greg Gordon

SermonIndex audio sermons

The honorable Rev. FSSL, Litt.D., Hon.D.

• Standing Ovation? +177/-671
Re: The Publican and Pharisee, A Lesson in Pride and Humility
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. - Proverbs 11:2

Pride and the Devil... read more here: https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/205275-the-publican-and-pharisee-a-lesson-in-pride-and-humility/

Admin note: articles posted elsewhere need to be shortened and a URL given to that article.
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM! I am the resident "skeptic, critic, purveyor of doubt, self-contradicting, silly, weak-minded, ridiculous, inconsistent, superstitious zealot, deceptive equivocator, hell-bent, disbeliever, contemptuous, doubter, hypocrite, thumb twittler, lying, jackass...

bgwilkinson

• Standing Ovation? +195/-7
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:48:07 PM »
I recognized immediately the Orthodox icon, The Publican, and The Pharisee, it is one of many that are in my Orthodox Study Bible. They are so helpful for telling Bible stories. Are you by chance Orthodox?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:52:43 PM by bgwilkinson »
"Variety of translations is profitable for finding out the sense of the Scriptures." Augustine
"Love the Scriptures, and wisdom will love you." Jerome
"Even boys who are brought up learning the Scriptures, become most religious." Julian

Lucian Hodoboc

• Standing Ovation? +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:25:59 AM »
I'll address a point from your article here because I am an Orthodox, but I am not allowed to post on that site because the admin doesn't like me and has blocked my posting permissions. You stated that "The reality is all giftings given to brethren in the body of Christ is to serve and help others, not ourselves.". While that is partially true, we also have to make a living by using the gifts (talent, strength, intellect etc.) we have been given by God. There are plenty of Bible verses that support the idea that we are entitled to request remuneration for our work in order to be able to survive and provide for our families, so, in part, it is our job to help ourselves too through our gifts.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/he_who_will_not_work_shall_not_eat