illinoisguy

• Standing Ovation? +0/-0
Re: The Easter Parade, or, The Gipper Shoulda Stuck to Football...
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 01:55:21 PM »
I would not put any credence in any conclusions by Sam "Gyp the People" or anyone else quoting from Alexander Hislop's "The Two Babylons," a book that has been thoroughly discredited as a source of reliable information.  In recent times the main proponent of Hislop's book was Evangelist Ralph Woodrow, whose book "Babylon Mystery Religion" popularized Hislop's teachings.  Woodrow came to realize that Hislop's book was based on false conclusions.  He withdrew his own book from publication and sale, and repudiated Hislop's teachings in his more recent books "The Babylon Connection?" and "Easter - Is It Pagan?"  Evangelist Woodrow is a friend of mine and we have discussed these things in person.

robycop3

• Standing Ovation? +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 01:52:12 PM »
 Same ole, same ole.

The Gipper just can't get past the FACT that, in all 29 appreaances of "pascha" in the New testament, it refers to PASSOVER. It's the same word JESUS used for passover.(Unless one thinks Jesus observed Easter!LOL) Pascha COULDN'T'VE been referring to Easter back then cuz Easter didn't then exist !

Just face it, KJVOs; "Easter" in acts 12:4 is a GOOF !

prophet

• Standing Ovation? +373/-5
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 05:03:29 AM »
Mark 14:1 (Tyndale Bible)
​ After two dayes folowed ester and the dayes of swete breed. And the hye prestes and the Scrybes sought meanes how they myght take hym by crafte and put him to deeth.

Mark 14:12 (Tyndale Bible)
And the fyrste daye of swete breed when men offer ye pascall lambe his disciples sayd vnto him: where wilt thou that we goo and prepare that thou mayst eate the ester lambe?

Mark 14:14 (Tyndale Bible)
And whither soever he goeth in saye ye to ye good man of ye housse: the master axeth where is the geest chambre where I shall eate ye ester lambe with my disciples.

Mark 14:16 (Tyndale Bible)
And his disciples went forth and came to the cyte and founde as he had sayd vnto them: and made ready the ester lambe.

Matthew 26:2 (Tyndale Bible)
Ye knowe that after ii. dayes shalbe ester and the sonne of man shalbe delyvered to be crucified.

Luke 22:8 (Tyndale Bible)
And he sent Peter and Iohn sayinge: Goo and prepare vs the ester lambe that we maye eate.

Luke 22:1 (Tyndale Bible)
​ The feaste of swete breed drue nye whiche is called ester

John 6:4 (Tyndale Bible)
And ester a feast of ye Iewes was nye.

John 11:55 (Tyndale Bible)
And the Iewes ester was nye at hand and many went out of the countre vp to Ierusalem before the ester to purify them selves.

John 18:39 (Tyndale Bible)
Ye have a custome that I shuld delyver you one lowsse at ester. Will ye that I lowse vnto you the kynge of ye Iewes.

Acts 12:4 (Tyndale Bible)
And when he had caught him he put him in preson and delyvered him to.iiii. quaternios of soudiers to be kepte entendynge after ester to brynge him forth to the people.

Nah, standard translation.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Ransom

• Standing Ovation? +448/-22
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »
Imagine that. Tyndale didn't use the word "Passover," almost a decade before he coined the word "Passover."
Take care,
Scott

insanely liberal - ALAYMAN
little runt bully - The Rogue Tomato

prophet

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
Imagine that. Tyndale didn't use the word "Passover," almost a decade before he coined the word "Passover."
Right.
Prior to his coining "passover", Paschal was translated as "Easter".
So Easter isn't a poor translation, it's the normal translation.

Mark 14:12 (Wycliffe Bible)
And the firste dai of therf looues, whanne thei offriden pask, the disciplis seyn to hym, Whidir `wilt thou that we go, and make redi to thee, that thou ete the pask?

Mark 14:12 (Tyndale Bible)
And the fyrste daye of swete breed when men offer ye pascall lambe his disciples sayd vnto him: where wilt thou that we goo and prepare that thou mayst eate the ester lambe?

Ransom

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »

Was the normal translation. For people who most likely never travelled more than a few miles from their own home, much less to the Holy Land, it provided an appropriate, albeit anachronistic, frame of reference. Tyndale coined "Passover" when he began translating the Old Testament and realized that continuing to use "Easter" would be inappropriately anachronistic.

And now that he had coined a perfectly adequate and descriptive English word for the Jewish feast day, there was no need to continue to call it "Easter," and no excuse for the KJV translators to have done so, except for an editorial mistake.
Take care,
Scott

prophet

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »

Was the normal translation. For people who most likely never travelled more than a few miles from their own home, much less to the Holy Land, it provided an appropriate, albeit anachronistic, frame of reference. Tyndale coined "Passover" when he began translating the Old Testament and realized that continuing to use "Easter" would be inappropriately anachronistic.

And now that he had coined a perfectly adequate and descriptive English word for the Jewish feast day, there was no need to continue to call it "Easter," and no excuse for the KJV translators to have done so, except for an editorial mistake.
"was no reason that Ransom can see easily" isn't tantamount to "mistake".

If any of the translators addressed this choice, I'd love to read it in their words.

I'm as curious as I assume you are, about several choices....like "church" over "congregation" or "assembly"...but, I've yet to find anything in the KJV that obscures the meaning of the passage, including Easter in Acts...
Since I know it refers to a feast of passover, and not the entire holiday.

Ransom

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 08:28:53 AM »

If you know of a reason to prefer "Easter" over "Passover" in this single place in the entire Bible, that doesn't just come down to you imagining you are reading their minds, then by all means present that reason.

I'm as curious as I assume you are, about several choices....like "church" over "congregation" or "assembly"...

Indifferent, as they all basically mean the same thing, with the caveat that "church" tends now to refer to the church building rather than its membership, though it bears both meanings.

Such is not the case with "Easter" vs. "Passover," where 500 years of usage has established that the former is the Christian holiday celebrating the resurrection, while the latter is the Jewish holiday commemorating the Exodus, and apart from very old Bibles, they are never used interchangeably.
Take care,
Scott

prophet

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »

If you know of a reason to prefer "Easter" over "Passover" in this single place in the entire Bible, that doesn't just come down to you imagining you are reading their minds, then by all means present that reason.

I'm as curious as I assume you are, about several choices....like "church" over "congregation" or "assembly"...

Indifferent, as they all basically mean the same thing, with the caveat that "church" tends now to refer to the church building rather than its membership, though it bears both meanings.

Such is not the case with "Easter" vs. "Passover," where 500 years of usage has established that the former is the Christian holiday celebrating the resurrection, while the latter is the Jewish holiday commemorating the Exodus, and apart from very old Bibles, they are never used interchangeably.
Good old intellectual dishonesty.

Good thing you're not prejudiced against the KJV.

Ransom

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 09:51:43 AM »
Good old intellectual dishonesty.

If you say so. *yawn*
Take care,
Scott