Maranatha Appoints New Chancellor

TheOldJudge

Elect
Reaction score
Maranatha Baptist University Appoints Dr. Marty Marriott Second Chancellor in School History

Dr. S. Martin ("Marty") Marriott has announced that he is vacating the office of President of Maranatha Baptist University, effective upon the conclusion of Commencement Exercises on May 5, 2023.

Dr. Marriott was chosen by the Board of Trustees as the fifth president of Maranatha Baptist Bible College on September 30, 2009, and has served the institution for fourteen academic years. He has achieved the second longest tenure of any Maranatha president, with founder Dr. B. Myron Cedarholm and second president Arno Q. Weniger, Jr., both having served fifteen years.

Dr. Marriott is a 1974 graduate of Maranatha. He received his M.Div. from Temple Baptist Theological Seminary in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and his earned Doctor of Divinity from Louisiana Baptist Seminary in Shreveport, Louisiana. He has two further earned degrees: a Master of Arts in Biblical Languages from the former Maranatha Baptist Graduate School of Theology, and a Bachelor of Science in Business from Liberty University.

Dr. Marriott is married to Miriam (Cummins) Marriott, daughter of the late Dr. David Cummins--Maranatha's first board member. It was Dr. Cummins who, on his deathbed, advised his son-in-law to assume the presidency of Maranatha. This deep familial connection has continued into a third generation, as the Marriotts' daughter and son-in-law, Rebecca and Bryan Brock, teach in the College of Bible and Church Ministries.

Before becoming president of Maranatha, Dr. Marriott served as a church planter in Tennessee, and as a pastor in Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Michigan. He has served on the boards of Baptist World Mission, the Michigan Association of Christian Schools, the Independent Fundamental Baptist Association of Michigan, and Maranatha Baptist Bible College (1998-2009).

Any word on a replacement?
A friend of mine who serves on the Board of Trustees shared with me that the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees has been functioning as the search committee since December. The annual spring board meetings are this week, so the hope is that significant strides will be made toward selecting Dr. Marriott's successor at that time.

Unlike the recent conflagration in South Carolina, the Board of Trustees and Board of Resource at Maranatha are unified in their vision for the school. I am close friends with one of the trustees, a second served as my pastor for several years, and I am acquainted on some level with seven others. Whomever they choose will be a leader that comprehends and adheres to the Maranatha culture. There are no plans for a "new direction" at MBBI/MBU/MBS.

True, Weniger tried new things, and none of it worked.,
Dr. Matt Davis, on the On Mission podcast, has referenced Dr. Weniger several times. Some of those references have been guarded, as if he did not wish to speak ill of the dead. My "circle" of Fundamentalism did not begin to interact with Maranatha until after Weniger resigned the presidency of the college. May I ask what "new things" he tried, and why none of them worked?

I would ask Larry Oats....I don't know if he could give us an update or not. I could also ask Dr. Bob Griffin...he's right there in Watertown...anyone think of contacting him to find out. I believe his son in law works at the university.

An interesting wrinkle in the process of choosing Maranatha's next president is that he must have been a pastor at some point in his life. My friends at the University have shared with me in years past that this condition was "baked into" the organizational paperwork and structure by Myron Cedarholm himself.

Thus, Mark Herbster (current Dean of the College of Bible and Church Ministries), who many of the students think would be a shoe-in for the role, cannot even be considered for the presidency.