20 topics

Gladstone

Elect
Reaction score
Besides the obvious jokes, did Jack Hyles ever reveal his 20 topics on which he preached?

When I was there, he always said he wouldn?t tell because he didn?t want people trying to figure out which one of the 20.

[size=12pt]Teaching on Preaching[/size]
Copyright 1986
Chapter 8 Subjects on which to preach

II Timothy 4:2, 5, "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all Iongsuffering and doctrine. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry."

Years ago I sat down and listed twenty themes that I thought were necessary for the spiritual growth and maturity of my people. All of my sermons deal with at least one of these twenty themes. Though I have never shared them, I have on occasion explained the process by which I arrived at them. That process will be the content of this chapter. I chose the twenty themes from II Timothy 4:2, "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." In this passage God tells the preacher what he is supposed to do when he stands before his people. I listed these things and from these things arrived at the themes I thought necessary for my people's spiritual growth and benefit.

I. PREACH.
2. WORD.
3. BE INSTANT.
4. IN SEASON, OUT OF SEASON.
5. REPROVE.
6. REBUKE.
7. EXHORT.
8. LONGSUFFERING.
9. DOCTRINE.
10. WATCH.
11. ENDURE AFFLICTION.
12. THE WORK OF AN EVANGELIST.
13. FULL PROOF OF THY MINISTRY

The things that I have listed are not the exact words that I use on my list of twenty themes, but it was from this passage that I made my list in order that I might give to my people all that they need, and be to my people all that they need me to be. From the twenty themes that I have listed in a private place come all the sermons that I preach. I feel that these twenty themes cover all the needs that my people could have. These are the different prescriptions for the various illnesses and deficiencies that my folks may have.

That?s pretty impressive that you remembered that.

It seems like he gave several of the topics one time in a Saturday evening preacher boys class.

Jack Hyles once said in a sermon:

The pastor should make a list of all the potential needs of the people. Years ago I sat down and listed all the subjects that I felt my people needed. All of these fell under twenty general topics. Every sermon that I preach is just one of these topics cloaked in a different Scripture with different illustrations and different manners of presentation in order that I may keep my people healthy while at the same time being fresh to them.

I was mentioning the 20 Topic philosophy at lunch on Sunday. Amazing........ just as this thread was being started. They ought to make a Christmas movie about this.