2006 PCC staff handbook & rules

What happens if a girl got a tattoo on her 18th birthday before she decided to go to PCC, does she have to have it removed? That's not inexpensive to say the least.

PCC continues to have some of the most insane rules of any fundy toy college.

I may be wrong, but subjecting not only off-the-clock employees, but also their spouses and children to these rules just strikes me as a wrongful-termination lawsuit waiting to happen, the first time someone's teenage daughter decides to go to the beach with her boyfriend.

Ransom said:
PCC continues to have some of the most insane rules of any fundy toy college.

I may be wrong, but subjecting not only off-the-clock employees, but also their spouses and children to these rules just strikes me as a wrongful-termination lawsuit waiting to happen, the first time someone's teenage daughter decides to go to the beach with her boyfriend.

It appears that these are just on-campus rules - there is nothing to suggest that these rules must apply at any employee's home but yeah they do seem problematic.

It appears that these are just on-campus rules - there is nothing to suggest that these rules must apply at any employee's home

I beg to differ. The handbook spends nearly two full pages (22-24) to say employees are not allowed to attend theatres or watch Hollywood movies at home; in fact, they must sign an "integrity pledge" to that effect, which is to say they consider such a contractual obligation.

They request that employees or their families not attend "denominational-type" camps (24) - a rule that would seem to apply not merely on-campus or at the employee's home, but when they are out of town on vacation.

Ladies' dress code applies not only to female employees of PCC and A Beka, but to wives of male employees who are not employed by the institution (24) as well as any daughters 13 and over (25).

Single personnel may not go to the beach in mixed groups; they must be sex-segregated like the students (27). I assume that swimming is not a part of the job description.

Staff must attend Campus "Church," as well as various revival services, missions conferences, and other special events (28). That means that the employer is also dictating to its employees where they may hold church membership.

All personnel must attend group meetings every Monday at 7 pm (31). At every job I've had, staff meetings were held during business hours.

Spouses not employed by PCC or ABS are not allowed to seek employment with other academic institutions, for the sake of "loyalty" (36).

"We expect spouses not working here to follow the same policies concerning dress" (36).

All this is not only not "just on-campus rules" - the whole handbook is downright draconian. Discussion of the ridiculous panoply of totalitarian rules was the main purpose of the late, lamented "Student Voice" underground newsletter and Web site.

WCBC has similar rules for staff. Chappell owns these people and their spouses and the children who reside with them.

"Owns" is probably exactly the right word to use. What would happen, I wonder, if an "employee" submitted an invoice for all those hours spent in compulsory, after-hours activities (which I assume they are not already paid for)?

It seems only fair to me that if an employer requires you to be somewhere at a particular time, then he owes you remuneration for that time.

Ransom, I criticize a lot of leadership rules and decisions from my former church, but I have nothing but pity for the staff. When I was there they HAD to put their kids in the church school (no homeschool, public school, or even the option of enrolling them in the higher quality Christian school in town). The staff was constantly at the pastor's beck and call. One staff wife told me her husband was rarely home for dinner with their family. Another one (who was not on staff herself) was given so many volunteer tasks at church. She wanted to be a SAHM, but was not really allowed to be one.

If your spouse or parent is on staff you may not attend movies at the theater, dye your hair an "unnatural color", listen to unapproved music, refuse to go door-to-door soul-winning on a regular basis, or wear pants around town (if a female).

But he claims not to be controlling....Just ask him and he'll tell you.

Ransom said:
What would happen, I wonder, if an "employee" submitted an invoice for all those hours spent in compulsory, after-hours activities (which I assume they are not already paid for)?

Their love for the Lord, desire to see souls saved,  and personal character would be called into question. They throw down the "Character Card" a lot...an awful lot. If that did not work they would tell them the Bible says they can't sue a fellow Christian...

If the above methods did not sway the soon-to-be-former-employee, they would probably blow a gasket like this:

WCBC Eagle

Ransom said:
All personnel must attend group meetings every Monday at 7 pm (31). At every job I've had, staff meetings were held during business hours.
I am not sure where the "every Monday" came from, but I believe this is only the quarterly staff meetings. These are held four times per year on a Monday at 7:00pm.

AresMan said:

I am not sure where the "every Monday" came from, but I believe this is only the quarterly staff meetings. These are held four times per year on a Monday at 7:00pm.

Then the handbook is imprecise, and possibly contradictory. Exact words: "Personnel group meetings are held at 7:00 on Monday evenings in the Dale Horton Auditorium."  Generally speaking, when you announce that something happens regularly on a particular day and/or at a particular time, without further qualification, the assumption is that it happens whenever that day or time rolls around.  The book club meets on Thursday nights at the public library connotes more meetings than The book club meets on the third Thursday of every month at the public library, not fewer.

It goes on to say, "All personnel . . . are required to attend All Personnel group meetings. Please check your staff calendar for the dates of the meetings." That implies non-frequent, non-regular meetings, and seems to contradict the previous paragraph.

Either way, though, my point is the same: required staff meetings should be held during business hours, or attendees should be paid overtime for their required attendance.

Ransom said:
AresMan said:

Then the handbook is imprecise, and possibly contradictory. Exact words: "Personnel group meetings are held at 7:00 on Monday evenings in the Dale Horton Auditorium."  Generally speaking, when you announce that something happens regularly on a particular day and/or at a particular time, without further qualification, the assumption is that it happens whenever that day or time rolls around.  The book club meets on Thursday nights at the public library connotes more meetings than The book club meets on the third Thursday of every month at the public library, not fewer.

It goes on to say, "All personnel . . . are required to attend All Personnel group meetings. Please check your staff calendar for the dates of the meetings." That implies non-frequent, non-regular meetings, and seems to contradict the previous paragraph.
In other words, the day of week and time are "set in stone," but the frequency would be whenever the administration feels the need to have one. Knowing the staff life at PCC, these meetings are normally once per quarter; but if an "emergency" issue arose, the administration could schedule an ad hoc one.

Ransom said:
Either way, though, my point is the same: required staff meetings should be held during business hours, or attendees should be paid overtime for their required attendance.
Agreed.  8)

In other words, the day of week and time are "set in stone," but the frequency would be whenever the administration feels the need to have one. Knowing the staff life at PCC, these meetings are normally once per quarter; but if an "emergency" issue arose, the administration could schedule an ad hoc one.

I still think that could have been worded way better.

I hope that "emergency" is an exaggeration of the time needed. I'd hate to think I had to scramble to cancel a prior Monday-night commitment, just because some power-tripping manager type decided to call a staff meeting.

Then again, maybe the point is moot. Would A Beka staff even be allowed to have social lives outside the PCC ghetto? I'm beginning to think that PCC staff, students, and employees ain't quite normal, anyway.

Ransom said:
It appears that these are just on-campus rules - there is nothing to suggest that these rules must apply at any employee's home

I beg to differ. The handbook spends nearly two full pages (22-24) to say employees are not allowed to attend theatres or watch Hollywood movies at home; in fact, they must sign an "integrity pledge" to that effect, which is to say they consider such a contractual obligation. ...

I'm assuming that a lot of this is still the same. I finally left staff at PCC in 2013. In the last handbook, it said that employees could watch PG-rated movies at home, but they were expected to exercise discernment when watching movies. It used to say that they were limited to G-rated movies.

There have been a lot of changes in policy since Dr. Shoemaker became president. He seems like he is trying to reform many of the "pointless" rules as well as make processes more efficient. One of the last all-personnel meetings, he announced that highlights of the meetings would be e-mailed to all employees as PDFs in case they did not attend or wanted a recap. He even said something like, "Maybe someday we will just send the PDFs and get rid of the all-personnel meeting... maybe not *chuckle*, but anyways..." Why would he entertain that thought if he held to the all-personnel meeting with religious fervor.

Yes, there are a lot of pointless rules with which I disagree, but it seems like Dr. Shoemaker seems like he is trying to eliminate pointless policies by the way he talks and that he is trying to appeal to his audience and invite suggestions.

See my recent post on another thread for some of the changes since Dr. Shoemaker became president:
http://www.fundamentalforums.org/pensacola-christian-college/horton-announces-retirement/msg66690/#msg66690

The rules are not going to change overnight. If they did, a lot of rumors would go around that "PCC is going liberal." There are probably a lot of politics that Dr. Shoemaker has to deal with as president, but it seems like he knows what he is doing and is trying to change things for the better. I think it is just going to take time.

I beg to differ. The handbook spends nearly two full pages (22-24) to say employees are not allowed to attend theatres or watch Hollywood movies at home; in fact, they must sign an "integrity pledge" to that effect, which is to say they consider such a contractual obligation.

They request that employees or their families not attend "denominational-type" camps (24) - a rule that would seem to apply not merely on-campus or at the employee's home, but when they are out of town on vacation.

Ladies' dress code applies not only to female employees of PCC and A Beka, but to wives of male employees who are not employed by the institution (24) as well as any daughters 13 and over (25).

Single personnel may not go to the beach in mixed groups; they must be sex-segregated like the students (27). I assume that swimming is not a part of the job description.

Staff must attend Campus "Church," as well as various revival services, missions conferences, and other special events (28). That means that the employer is also dictating to its employees where they may hold church membership.

Spouses not employed by PCC or ABS are not allowed to seek employment with other academic institutions, for the sake of "loyalty" (36).

"We expect spouses not working here to follow the same policies concerning dress" (36).

All this is not only not "just on-campus rules" - the whole handbook is downright draconian. Discussion of the ridiculous panoply of totalitarian rules was the main purpose of the late, lamented "Student Voice" underground newsletter and Web site.

At the risk of sounding uneducated, may I ask what "denominational-type camps" are?

This thread started over 11 years ago; until yesterday, one post and that two years later. All concerning a handbook that was published nearly 18 years ago.

I'm thinking, things have changed. I have been scoping out the Campus Church lately because my wife and I are planning to pay them a visit next summer. I'm not in full agreement with everything I'm seeing but I am generally happy with the attitude I'm seeing. Wife and I just watched a Wednesday evening service from within the past week. Other than the music style, a very different vibe than there was when I attended 40 years ago.

At the risk of sounding uneducated, may I ask what "denominational-type camps" are?
My guess would be Bible camps/retreat centres operated by a denomination. My denomination has one: it's used for youth camps, staff retreats, Bible conferences, and so forth.

My guess would be Bible camps/retreat centres operated by a denomination. My denomination has one: it's used for youth camps, staff retreats, Bible conferences, and so forth.