2018 Soccer World Cup

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
I'm probably the only one on this forum who cares about soccer's World Cup, but it ended yesterday with Germany beating Argentina for the world championship.

About 231 teams spend four years competing before 32 teams advance to the World Cup. The proces begins today with the US playing Chile.

Vince Massi said:
I'm probably the only one on this forum who cares about soccer's World Cup, but it ended yesterday with Germany beating Argentina for the world championship.

About 231 teams spend four years competing before 32 teams advance to the World Cup. The proces begins today with the US playing Chile.

Wait, soccer (futbol) is a sport? I thought it was an activity to pass the time until Football season started!  ;D

Just so you can be proud(er) of the USA:

No nation has ever come in first or second that is not from South America or Europe. Only one nation has ever come in third that is not from those two continents--the US came in third in 1930.

Although only about 15% of all nations reach the World Cup, the US has reached it every year since 1990.

This year, the World Cup was held in Brazil, which also had the most fans present. The US was second in the number of fans.

Because of rain delays, the US will play Chile today in the second game of the 2018 World Cup eliminations.

You think it's tough having your team lose after a good year? In soccer, it's four years.

WE'RE #2!

There are about 231 teams competing for the 2018 World Cup, and only two games have been played so far. The US beat Chile 2-1 yesterday. Since Australia beat Bermuda 4-1, they are #1 and we are #2.

Note to my friend Green Beret (and thank you for your service to our country) You have football where the men cover themselves in protective equipment, and then you have futball...

Vince Massi said:
WE'RE #2!

There are about 231 teams competing for the 2018 World Cup, and only two games have been played so far. The US beat Chile 2-1 yesterday. Since Australia beat Bermuda 4-1, they are #1 and we are #2.

Note to my friend Green Beret (and thank you for your service to our country) You have football where the men cover themselves in protective equipment, and then you have futball...

Yeah, it's to give them "some" protection from direct hits that could produce up to 4,800 pounds of kinetic force. Where soccer can produce about 120-250 pounds of kinetic force when the players take a flop on the ground while trying to convince the refs that a foul occurred.  ;)

Green Beret said:

Where soccer can produce about 120-250 pounds of kinetic force when the players take a flop on the ground while trying to convince the refs that a foul occurred.  ;)

Well, yeah, that's true. But how many NFL players have been kicked out of the Super Bowl for biting?

Vince Massi said:
Well, yeah, that's true. But how many NFL players have been kicked out of the Super Bowl for biting?

Well, none have ever been kicked out for it but, man, sometimes you will get a biter in the pile!

It's three days since Germany won the World Cup and the US has already won two soccer games, beating Bermuda 4-1. And now for today's important trivia question:

What is the nickname of the US Men's Soccer Team?