Accreditation Is no Longer Compromise?

AmazedbyGrace

Elect
Reaction score
I suspected this was being considered back when they removed Chappell's anti-accreditation diatribe against accreditation, but now it is official. They are applying for TRACS accreditation, as lame as that is.

http://wcbc.edu/academics/accreditation

College students - find a school that is regionally accredited. TRACS is not all that helpful, though at least better than absolutely nothing.

IMHO, he conveniently ranted against accreditation back when he knew he would not qualify for it.

WCBC is still not showing up on the TRACS site.

http://www.tracs.org/TRACS_Members_all.html

The problem here, Amazed, is that many of these unaccredited colleges are lying. They say that they are unaccredited because they don't want the government to interfere with them, but the truth is, they cannot meet the standards of accreditation.

Bob Jones University proved that you CAN provide a college education without accreditation, but most of these colleges cannot.

Ahhh... the... "Don't need to be accredited" propaganda. It has been a mystery to me why BJU has successfully spread this idea.

I can't imagine what it would be like for a Christian college to seek accreditation in California.

FSSL said:
Ahhh... the... "Don't need to be accredited" propaganda. It has been a mystery to me why BJU has successfully spread this idea.

With BJU, it worked. By the way, they are now either accredited or seeking accreditation. Believing that a college education does not guarantee success in the ministry, Hyles started a college that does not provide a college education, but he didn't tell the students that.

Vince Massi said:
With BJU, it worked.

Are you sure about that? They have claimed to have no need for accreditation because they were somehow special.

I never believed it. It was just another piece of BJU propaganda.

IF it didn't matter then why do they have TRACS now?

FSSL said:
Vince Massi said:
With BJU, it worked.

Are you sure about that? They have claimed to have no need for accreditation because they were somehow special.

Valid point. Since its beginning as a college, BJU has ALWAYS provided a genuine college education for its students. There are, of course, problems with their doctrine, the fact that no BJU grad has ever pastored a megachurch, etc. But I have taught with BJU grads, and they really did know how to teach, and they really did live Godly lives.

JrChurch said:
I can't imagine what it would be like for a Christian college to seek accreditation in California.

There are many accredited Christian colleges in CA. Biola, Azusa Pacific, and Master's College just to name a few. Besides a few years back Chappell had the church's high school accredited with WASC, so why didn't he get WCBC accredited back then?

Looks like the local kids have finally realized going to an unaccredited college will end up harming them, cause a lot of them have chosen to go to the public community college this year. Too bad Chappell (and his staff) subjected teens to high pressure sales tactics to get them to go to WCBC in prior years. He hurt a lot of people doing that.

I've lived in the SF area and the LA area so I am familiar with the colleges. A nephew is earning his umpteenth master's at Fuller, a bro-in-law went to SF theological and a niece was at Cal Baptist. I still can't imagine trying to accredit a Christian institution in the current CA climate.

I attended an unaccredited college in FL and transferred to an accredited college. They looked over my transcripts and the classes I took and may grades and accepted all of them. Acreditation is good but who is doing it would be a big issue. Remember, these colleges are for people seeking to get into ministry. I personally would seek a collage that does not have a religious name if I were looking to get into working for the gov. Crown College was a good name 'til the added on to it--keep it simple and keep it short. In reality, an education is to give you an open door to better opportunities. If you are a strong Christian, than the state university would be fine. But going to a Bible college for a year to find a mate it a big plus too.

inskip said:
I attended an unaccredited college in FL and transferred to an accredited college. They looked over my transcripts and the classes I took and may grades and accepted all of them. Acreditation is good but who is doing it would be a big issue. Remember, these colleges are for people seeking to get into ministry. I personally would seek a collage that does not have a religious name if I were looking to get into working for the gov. Crown College was a good name 'til the added on to it--keep it simple and keep it short. In reality, an education is to give you an open door to better opportunities. If you are a strong Christian, than the state university would be fine. But going to a Bible college for a year to find a mate it a big plus too.

Welcome!

Most seminaries will now accept West Coast Baptist since they received candidacy status with TRACS. I know SBC's big 6 approved besides SBTS. Chappell is a big name now not only among the IFB circle but also within conservative politics and evangelical circles.

Vince Massi said:
FSSL said:
Vince Massi said:
With BJU, it worked.

Valid point. Since its beginning as a college, BJU has ALWAYS provided a genuine college education for its students. There are, of course, problems with their doctrine, the fact that no BJU grad has ever pastored a megachurch, etc. But I have taught with BJU grads, and they really did know how to teach, and they really did live Godly lives.

A good summary.  The few BJU grads I know seem to be pretty laid-back and they don't make the churches they pastor about them.

I'm thinking that to be a megachurch, a pastor needs to make the church about himself instead of Jesus Christ.  (I don't think Spurgeon did this, but I'm thinking of the larger IFB churches -- Hyles, Gray (TX), and others).  My experience of megachurches is limited.

AmazedbyGrace said:
I suspected this was being considered back when they removed Chappell's anti-accreditation diatribe against accreditation, but now it is official. They are applying for TRACS accreditation, as lame as that is.

http://wcbc.edu/academics/accreditation

College students - find a school that is regionally accredited. TRACS is not all that helpful, though at least better than absolutely nothing.

IMHO, he conveniently ranted against accreditation back when he knew he would not qualify for it.

WCBC is still not showing up on the TRACS site.

http://www.tracs.org/TRACS_Members_all.html

Bah.... despise a church that can't keep to what they preach. If they change, they should be honest about the fact that they are changing and NOT try to pretend that they believed this all along.

I remember when a nearby HAC-grad church "suddenly" decided (probably because of the CLA) that they needed written parental permission to baptize a child). They claimed (and how they said this with a straight face) that this had always been their policy... that's hogwash.  I remember the leadership running down lost parents -- (how would they know what their child should do?, they said).  Anyway, it was blatantly hypocritical.

And then, later, when they started requiring background checks for workers with children - they pretended like they were doing this off their own initiative, when it was clear that the insurance company was mandated that they do this change.  Blech!

Lets set the record straight shall we?

I was a member of LBC when WCBC was started and Paul Chappell made his statement clear about accreditation during that time. His position was that they were not seeking the "World's Approval" and that their aim was to train preachers and other Christian workers. I recall him expressly saying that if there was an accrediting agency they could work with at a future time, they would revisit this issue.

The College began in 1995 and I am not sure when TRACS came into being but I am personally glad they sought accreditation and do not for one second consider it "Compromise" nor would I use such as a railing accusation against Paul Chappell or WCBC!

There have been a good number of people who have attended this college and for whatever reason, decided that their "Flavor" of ministry was not their cup of tea or that perhaps the ministry was not their calling after all and upon leaving, had either a degree or a good stack of college credits that were useless outside of this small "IFB World" and would literally have to start over. Accreditation does away with this issue so for this, I say Good for them!

Those of y'all who know me understand I am no defender of Paul Chappell or his style of ministry nor would I recommend this particular institution but I do believer in being fair and not making false statements.

Lets set the record straight shall we?

I was a member of LBC when WCBC was started and Paul Chappell made his statement clear about accreditation during that time. His position was that they were not seeking the "World's Approval" and that their aim was to train preachers and other Christian workers. I recall him expressly saying that if there was an accrediting agency they could work with at a future time, they would revisit this issue.

The College began in 1995 and I am not sure when TRACS came into being but I am personally glad they sought accreditation and do not for one second consider it "Compromise" nor would I use such as a railing accusation against Paul Chappell or WCBC!

There have been a good number of people who have attended this college and for whatever reason, decided that their "Flavor" of ministry was not their cup of tea or that perhaps the ministry was not their calling after all and upon leaving, had either a degree or a good stack of college credits that were useless outside of this small "IFB World" and would literally have to start over. Accreditation does away with this issue so for this, I say Good for them!

Those of y'all who know me understand I am no defender of Paul Chappell or his style of ministry nor would I recommend this particular institution but I do believer in being fair and not making false statements.
Apparently, a LOT of things at WCBC and LBC have changed over the years, Ray. I don't know if it's for the better or the worse, but, at least he can now pass gas without squeaking!

Apparently, a LOT of things at WCBC and LBC have changed over the years, Ray. I don't know if it's for the better or the worse, but, at least he can now pass gas without squeaking!
Its been almost 20 years since I last set foot on the campus. Left in 2003 and moved back to Texas in 2006. I notice his youngest son went "Full Contemporary" with the rocking praise band, the "Steve Furtick" look and everything else! Hopefully he hasn't adopted his doctrine and so long as he sticks to sound biblical teaching and preaching, I am fine with everything else - well, maybe not but nothing really worth fighting over. I am still wailing on my Stratocaster with our worship team but I am big on BIBLICAL worship music, keeping the lights on, and making everything a little more congregational but I digress.

I know that David Cloud is having a field day regarding LBC/WCBC but I'm not a big fan of his either. I really hope it is not the case regarding their adoption of questionable "Church Growth" tactics (Rick Warren, Bill Hybels, Etc.)

Our adult Sunday School class is currently using his curriculum on the "Local Church" of which I have been out of the loop but our elder in charge of the Sunday School teaching has told me he had to make more than a few "edits" to get rid of all the "Baptist Perpetuity" and anti-Calvinism nonsense! Aside from that, it has been a good study.:cool:

If it is true that he has broken ranks with all the knot-heads in the "Sword" crowd, then this is a good thing! I know he has a good bit of influence over in Asia now. I have heard his radio program in Iloilo City, Philippines where my wife is from. There have been far too many IFB wackjobs (Hyles, Ruckman, Etc.) who have done a good bit of damage over there and I hope he would be one to help to reverse some of this.

Its been almost 20 years since I last set foot on the campus. Left in 2003 and moved back to Texas in 2006. I notice his youngest son went "Full Contemporary" with the rocking praise band, the "Steve Furtick" look and everything else! Hopefully he hasn't adopted his doctrine and so long as he sticks to sound biblical teaching and preaching, I am fine with everything else - well, maybe not but nothing really worth fighting over. I am still wailing on my Stratocaster with our worship team but I am big on BIBLICAL worship music, keeping the lights on, and making everything a little more congregational but I digress.

I know that David Cloud is having a field day regarding LBC/WCBC but I'm not a big fan of his either. I really hope it is not the case regarding their adoption of questionable "Church Growth" tactics (Rick Warren, Bill Hybels, Etc.)

Our adult Sunday School class is currently using his curriculum on the "Local Church" of which I have been out of the loop but our elder in charge of the Sunday School teaching has told me he had to make more than a few "edits" to get rid of all the "Baptist Perpetuity" and anti-Calvinism nonsense! Aside from that, it has been a good study.:cool:

If it is true that he has broken ranks with all the knot-heads in the "Sword" crowd, then this is a good thing! I know he has a good bit of influence over in Asia now. I have heard his radio program in Iloilo City, Philippines where my wife is from. There have been far too many IFB wackjobs (Hyles, Ruckman, Etc.) who have done a good bit of damage over there and I hope he would be one to help to reverse some of this.
Wow...has it really been that far back? Did you leave before my sister and ex-BIL? He's a pastor in Southern Georgia right now, and my sister is running for mayor of the town I grew up in in Illinois. She's mayor-pro-tem right now, and I believe she'll win the election next year. Since their divorce, their kids have all pretty much left church. Some make attempts to go now and then.
Regarding Warren, Hybels, etc, I "take the meat, leave the bone" when it comes to these individuals. My wife and I have dropped out of Sunday School in our church until they replace the materials they use (Lifeway), as it's watered down and ineffective IMHO. Thankfully, I'm neither anti-Calvin nor anti-Arminian. I'll let God settle that question when the time comes.

Wow...has it really been that far back? Did you leave before my sister and ex-BIL? He's a pastor in Southern Georgia right now, and my sister is running for mayor of the town I grew up in in Illinois. She's mayor-pro-tem right now, and I believe she'll win the election next year. Since their divorce, their kids have all pretty much left church. Some make attempts to go now and then.
Regarding Warren, Hybels, etc, I "take the meat, leave the bone" when it comes to these individuals. My wife and I have dropped out of Sunday School in our church until they replace the materials they use (Lifeway), as it's watered down and ineffective IMHO. Thankfully, I'm neither anti-Calvin nor anti-Arminian. I'll let God settle that question when the time comes.
Didn't realize you were Tony! Steve and Becky were only there a short time. I was there nearly 8 years (too long). I got no use for Warren or Hybels even now and I especially take exception to Warren undermining the BFM of the SBC with his ordination of women pastors in his church! I have stepped away from teaching in our adult Sunday School class in order to focus on my Seminary studies but I would usually write my own lesson regardless of whatever curricula is used. In the past, we have used Regular Baptist Press as well as some of John Macarthur's material. Perhaps Chappell is one of the few who has addressed ecclesiology in a Sunday School format? I will defend either Calvinism or Arminianism over the bombastic nonsense coming from certain factions of IFB-Dumb! Did you see the Hyles-Bot whack job who came after me on my FB page? I posted the text from a "Reformation Day" tract I had written and he comes in with his guns ablazing telling me that the reformers were just some disgruntled Catholics who got tired of killing Baptists or whatever. He was making a real donkey of himself but I eventually decided to delete everything when some "Karen" stuck his nose in and said I was being condescending. Perhaps I was but couldn't help myself! :LOL:

Didn't realize you were Tony! Steve and Becky were only there a short time. I was there nearly 8 years (too long). I got no use for Warren or Hybels even now and I especially take exception to Warren undermining the BFM of the SBC with his ordination of women pastors in his church! I have stepped away from teaching in our adult Sunday School class in order to focus on my Seminary studies but I would usually write my own lesson regardless of whatever curricula is used. In the past, we have used Regular Baptist Press as well as some of John Macarthur's material. Perhaps Chappell is one of the few who has addressed ecclesiology in a Sunday School format? I will defend either Calvinism or Arminianism over the bombastic nonsense coming from certain factions of IFB-Dumb! Did you see the Hyles-Bot whack job who came after me on my FB page? I posted the text from a "Reformation Day" tract I had written and he comes in with his guns ablazing telling me that the reformers were just some disgruntled Catholics who got tired of killing Baptists or whatever. He was making a real donkey of himself but I eventually decided to delete everything when some "Karen" stuck his nose in and said I was being condescending. Perhaps I was but couldn't help myself! :LOL:
When did you cross over to the dark side (Calvinism)?😉. Give us the Cliff notes of the journey.