Alethiology: What is Truth?

S

SynodOfDort

As a newbie to the forums, I am interested in people's various perspectives on Alethiology. In your opinion, what defines "truth"? Does ultimate truth exist? Is all truth God's truth? Can truth be established outside of God's special revelation? Thanks in advance for any replies!

SynodOfDort said:
As a newbie to the forums, I am interested in people's various perspectives on Alethiology. In your opinion, what defines "truth"? Does ultimate truth exist? Is all truth God's truth? Can truth be established outside of God's special revelation? Thanks in advance for any replies!

God.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

:)

The answer is given in Titus 1:12

I spent 2.5 years studying only that one verse. I've never studied any sentnce more thoroughly. I look foward to the next life when I can devote a few millenia to trying to understand that verse. I think I barely scratched the surface of what it means, but I am certain that is where the answer lies.

cubanito said:

Truth is summed up in one disparaging statement about the character of the people of Crete?

Ransom said:
cubanito said:

Truth is summed up in one disparaging statement about the character of the people of Crete?

Well, he is the self-proclaimed smartest man who has ever registered on the forum!

cubanito said:

I spent 2.5 years studying only that one verse. I've never studied any sentnce more thoroughly. I look foward to the next life when I can devote a few millenia to trying to understand that verse. I think I barely scratched the surface of what it means, but I am certain that is where the answer lies.
Then, statistically speaking, it appears you are no where near your self-proclaimed genius level. ;)

Consider the possibility that having spent 2.5 years on a single verse of the Bible, and coming away knowing I barely scratched the surface of it, that perhaps there is more to it than a disparaging remark about Cretans.

Socrates, another prophet of God among the Greeks, put a similar concept in this manner: “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” Socrates (apart from God)

Solomon wrote a book where this was a major theme: Ecclesiastes. "All is vanity and a striving after wind...UNDER THE SUN"

While I am not anywhere near the wisdom of Solomon, when the wisest man ever laments that, (apart from God=under the sun), nothing is certain and all is worthless, one should consider the possibility he was correct.

As the most intelligent man on this forum, I have learned we are all Cretans. If fear of the Lord is the begining of Wisdom, then accepting that one can know NOTHING apart from God is the begining of Alethiology. Titus 1:12 is the earliest known logical proof that logic is incomplete, that logic is unable to make sense even of itself.

There IS Absolute Truth, that Truth is a People. Specifically 3 People, Father Son and Holy Ghost. However, God has so designed creation, including our ability to think, so that it is not possible to divorce Truth from Him. Thus, even 1+1 has no definitive answer apart from acknowleging God. That is the conclusion mathematics has reached. That is why Kurt Godell claimed his 2 incompleteness theorems where a mathematical proof that there is a God.

Now, go google things like Epiminidis  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epimenides_paradox, Turin machines and the Continuum hypothesis for the mathematics.

Or go learn relativity theory and quantum mechanics for basically the same thing: you can know NOTHING for certain---unless God reveals it to you.

Or go read the Bible about how it is IMPOSSIBLE for the natural man to understand the Truth--apart from the Holy Spirit opening the eyes of man's intestines (splachnos).

My fellow ladies, we can know nothing apart from what our Bridegroom allows us to. Have we not yet learned from our mother Eve?

JR, the most intelligent man in this forum, who would be insufferables were he not so humble.

cubanito said:
JR, the most intelligent man in this forum, who would be insufferables were he not so humble.

Is that the truth?

:eek:

Because it is funny.

35+ years ago I was an agnostice who did not believe even in Darwinian evolution. After years of searching for ANYTHING that was true I was in utter darkness. Then someone asked me to disprove the Bible.

I became a fundamentalist Christian. It was like God turning on floodlights in a deep dark cave.

I have never gotten over it. Everyday is a party to me, and as happy as I am now (and I am ecstatically so), I am all excited about dying or being raptured even more.  That there is Truth is wonderful, that the Truth is a Jewish carpenter who Loves me blows my mind several times every day.

So I joke, and laugh at myself, at how such an intelligent person was brought to salvation by a mentally handicapped teenager, is a favorite past time.

On a human level, yes, I really am brilliant. So what? So freaking what? All that I have "accomplished" in life is rubbish compared to one hour of God knowing me.  So I come here and post well reasoned arguments and end them by laughiong hysterically at how idiotic I am; and yet God Loves me.

We're going to live forever, sinless, without pain or unmet need in the Presence that Loves us with angels to serve us. Is that not worth a smile?

JR