An Open Letter TO Linda Hyles Murphrey

WOW!  Class envy much?  That's what stands out the most to me....over and over and over again. She tells Linda her dad loved her and adored her because he provided her with material things. That she presumed to "KNOW" what the truth is about what went on behind close doors when most here haven't even gone that far.

But the other thing that was funny and sad at the same time....

Being a fundamentalist — one who adheres to the fundamentals of the faith — has brought me many blessings and joys. For example there is my precious husband, Greg, who is the best Christian I have ever known or ever will know; our four children; our son-in-law the independent fundamental Baptist preacher, an upright man; and our three grandchildren — all fundamentalists, right down to the baby.

Well if her "baby" grand-daughter can already be considered a certified "fundamentalist" then it's surely an infantile fundamentalism she espouses.

We are woefully far from being model Christians, any of us. Please don’t think I am asserting that we are better than anyone else because we refuse to forsake fundamentalism. But even the novice or faltering Christian reaps so many benefits from clinging, however weakly, to the simple fundamentals of our faith. It is the truth that makes us free and there is strength in freedom. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Though her husband is "the best Christian I have ever known or ever will know". Nope. Doesn't sound like she thinks they are "model Christians" or "better than anyone else". LOL

Of course there is a stigma attached, and that is where most people lose their nerve and with it, the ability to go all the way leaning hard-right with the unpopular — but no less true — fundamental truths. Biblical separation is where the rubber meets the road, every time.
Of course she has no idea of the historical "fundamentals of the faith".

And then it really gets amusing:

In fact, it’s not fundamentalism everyone is really railing against; that’s just a code word for the fact that they’re unwilling — no; they refuse — to come out from among the worldlings, and be separate, and to touch not the unclean thing.

They’d rather use the sinful world’s crude language, and tipple socially, and take up for the poor misunderstood homosexuals, and dress revealingly, and indulge in immorality, and just in general be cool, than identify with Christ and His sufferings — not to mention His holiness. They do not hear the call to righteousness issued to every Christian because they’re not about to tune in to that station.

LOL!  So now we find the problem with EVERY person who doesn't want to be considered a "fundamentalist" or has a problem with much of what is recognized as "fundamentalism" today...We all want to cuss, guzzle, advocate for homosexuality, dress immodestly, "be cool", and ignore Christ and His death and resurrection,not to mention His holiness.....while she focuses on her's!

Not only does she KNOW what went on in Hyle's house but she knows what goes on every Evangelical's house as well! (Wonder how she does with stock picks? :) )

It required some additional searching but the writer of this "open letter" is the aunt of the man married to Jack and Cindy Schaap's daughter.

Just John said:
It required some additional searching but the writer of this "open letter" is the aunt of the man married to Jack and Cindy Schaap's daughter.
Naw, couldn't be.  Cuz that Greg was rumored to have had 'indiscretions'.

Anishinabe

Jennifer Weber I don't know her maiden name she was from Forest Hills in Atlanta,Ga. Is this the same person? She was on my dorm floor in college............small world.

Always interesting to hear a different perspective.  The writer claims that she was a victim of emotional abuse and was snubbed by the upper class.  Then, she makes claim for Linda to claim Linda was abused is a self-centered cry for attention and demeaning to those who were actually abused.  A "You abused me!  How dare you spin this to make yourself look like the victim!" cry. 

I don't claim either side in the obviously personal spat.  Aside from the gushing of pent up bitterness, there is a different perspective presented and several more of Linda's contradictions are pointed out.

Binaca Chugger said:
Always interesting to hear a different perspective.  The writer claims that she was a victim of emotional abuse and was snubbed by the upper class.  Then, she makes claim for Linda to claim Linda was abused is a self-centered cry for attention and demeaning to those who were actually abused.  A "You abused me!  How dare you spin this to make yourself look like the victim!" cry. 

I don't claim either side in the obviously personal spat.  Aside from the gushing of pent up bitterness, there is a different perspective presented and several more of Linda's contradictions are pointed out.

I do not claim to know the truth but it's interesting to read the responses to this "open letter" on that site. Some are pretty scathing in their claims that you can't know what goes on by the clothes or smiles one wears and how the writer is way out of line. The writer also makes an inaccurate claim. She wanted to make a point of Linda's "inconsistency" by claiming she said ""no one" knew what went on at (the address of the home) after the writer was told herself. Instead what Linda really said is "few people knew". If one wants to point out others supposed inconsistencies  they need to be prepared for the same. :)

prophet said:
Just John said:
Naw, couldn't be.  Cuz that Greg was rumored to have had 'indiscretions'.

Anishinabe

I have a feeling you are being facetious but here is her statement:

Since the only daughter of Jack and Cindy Schaap is a Weber -- she's married to our nephew -- TG and I have a continuing vested interest in this quasi-epic saga.

There is more of the back story here:  http://www.jennyweber.com/open-letter-to-linda-murphrey/

In the foreward to her long letter of self-pity she calls Linda "self-involved". She then "knows" that Linda took down the comments from her site because she posted negative "pushback" (even though by her own mention of "a snag" there could be a problem) and Linda wouldn't allow pushback ...except that this women's husband "posted negative pushback a few nights prior" and the comments section was NOT taken down.

Cat fight.

Just John said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I do not claim to know the truth but it's interesting to read the responses to this "open letter" on that site. Some are pretty scathing in their claims that you can't know what goes on by the clothes or smiles one wears and how the writer is way out of line. The writer also makes an inaccurate claim. She wanted to make a point of Linda's "inconsistency" by claiming she said ""no one" knew what went on at (the address of the home) after the writer was told herself. Instead what Linda really said is "few people knew". If one wants to point out others supposed inconsistencies  they need to be prepared for the same. :)

Site is apparently dedicated to victim recovery/fellowship.  Hence, most are going to automatically assume truth in everything they read.  Some of the responses did not seem stable. 

Good catch!  I didn't see that one.  Good point.

Look.  Bro. Hyles was a friend to me.  One of very few in my life who have offered real friendship.  My opinion is biased, but I am a realist.  I surely don't deny the feasibility of an odd home life for the Hyles kids.  With his travel and public demands, I would assume home life was pretty odd.  The IFB paparazzi can certainly drive someone crazy.  Apparently it affected that home.  I don't see why Linda is desiring to exploit her father's name by destroying that name. 

Personally, my worthless opinion is that Linda did not like her home life.  Probably, there are many complex factors involved - not just my dad was a jerk.  She has apparently allowed the stress of expectations to define her.  Either by her own choosing or by inability or by unreasonableness, she never did meet those expectations.  It seems this has haunted her and she fully believes all of her problems in life were caused by these unreasonable expectations.  She now is trying to save others from the supposed horror she endured.  I don't think she would be doing all of this just to make a few bucks, but I could be wrong. 

Maybe she really embellished her story on purpose to glorify her ability to overcome difficulty and persuade more people to allow her to be their life-coach.  Maybe she had no intention of addressing the HACkers and now is trying to do damage control to her own reputation after having been gone for so long that most people had forgotten about her.

Here's my deal.  I think there is a better path of healing than blameshifting and grandstanding and I wish it for her. 

It's amazing the different things that each of us pick out here but I see a lot of bitterness and envy cloaked in the typical, "But I maintain the fundamentals of the faith. By singing hymns, from a hymnbook, with the kjv, and my separation standards, and THESE are the important things." It is the typical old worn-out mantra that says, "If you LOVE God you will be an old-fashioned baptist but if you just LIKE Him you will be something else."

Is this the same Greg Weber that was at HAC and then went to Crown for a bit and now lives in Columbia. SC?

kaba said:
Is this the same Greg Weber that was at HAC and then went to Crown for a bit and now lives in Columbia. SC?
Yes.

Anishinabe

kaba, you are correct.............

Well then her marriage is not the perfect one she is bragging about! And her husband is not the "best Christian she knows"!!!There is a reason why they left Crown as well as another family that then relocated to West Cost!!!

kaba said:
Well then her marriage is not the perfect one she is bragging about! And her husband is not the "best Christian she knows"!!!There is a reason why they left Crown as well as another family that then relocated to West Cost!!!

Yes, but she still lives by the "fundamentals" of the faith. Something that most people do not wish to do because they just do not have the dedication!  (extreme sarcasm here)

A family member of mine goes to church with them. They are very judgemental and self righteous!!!

Just John said:

Family defender.

kaba said:
A family member of mine goes to church with them. They are very judgemental and self righteous!!!

Whoa! Shocker, I would have never picked that up from her open letter to Linda ;)

/sarcasm

kaba said:
I knew the Webers from college days. They seemed to be very nice and godly people.  I did not see a critical side of them.

Times have changed!  Have to talked to them lately? Ask them why they left Crown!