An Open Letter TO Linda Hyles Murphrey

Binaca Chugger said:
Look.  Bro. Hyles was a friend to me.  One of very few in my life who have offered real friendship.  My opinion is biased, but I am a realist.  I surely don't deny the feasibility of an odd home life for the Hyles kids.  With his travel and public demands, I would assume home life was pretty odd.  The IFB paparazzi can certainly drive someone crazy.  Apparently it affected that home.  I don't see why Linda is desiring to exploit her father's name by destroying that name. 

Personally, my worthless opinion is that Linda did not like her home life.  Probably, there are many complex factors involved - not just my dad was a jerk.  She has apparently allowed the stress of expectations to define her.  Either by her own choosing or by inability or by unreasonableness, she never did meet those expectations.  It seems this has haunted her and she fully believes all of her problems in life were caused by these unreasonable expectations.  She now is trying to save others from the supposed horror she endured.  I don't think she would be doing all of this just to make a few bucks, but I could be wrong. 

Maybe she really embellished her story on purpose to glorify her ability to overcome difficulty and persuade more people to allow her to be their life-coach.  Maybe she had no intention of addressing the HACkers and now is trying to do damage control to her own reputation after having been gone for so long that most people had forgotten about her.

Here's my deal.  I think there is a better path of healing than blameshifting and grandstanding and I wish it for her.

Good points

16KJV11 said:
Sherryh said:
dh is one of the best ghost writers..........Bob Gray needed his help. dh was in need and Bob Gray said hey I'm going to help him..........let's see how long this works.........

I've never understood Mrs Hyles silence ..........maybe others that have been at fbc longer and can answer that...........

I have always wondered that if Brother Hyles was such the abuser that he has been accused of, how could Mrs. Hyles have faked it all those years, the smiles, sitting in the choir section, the teaching, the Christian Womanhood seminars, etc. etc. etc.
I have heard..."She comes from a different era, she had a lot to lose, etc."
But I'm not sure I buy it.
Surely there would be some wrinkle, some crack, some chink in the armor where one could discern that all was not well in paradise, but we saw and heard nothing from Mrs. Hyles, ever.

This may be true but I can attest to the fact that Cindy sat behind her husband smiling and bragged about him on her radio program. He was just a wonderful husband, wonderful father, preached wonderful sermons, was the most wonderful pastor right and I mean right up to the very end. And although she probably was not aware of the full extent of his philandering she knew a lot more than she let on. Their marriage was wonderful and they were just wonderfully happy and a week later, bam.

Cindy is facing the real world now..........We believe she knew more than she talked about.

Sherryh said:
Cindy is facing the real world now..........We believe she knew more than she talked about.

It has been stated that Cindy was approached by someone regarding the victim before everything fell apart.  I think Cindy was keeping up the facade.  Why not?  What we deny in our lives doesn't exist.  People tell themselves what they want to believe.  But deep in their heart of hearts, they know.  There is no way Cindy didn't have a single clue about what was going on.  Shoot the dog, even the teens in the school knew and word eventually gets around.

BUT EVEN IF YOU TAKE ALL OF THAT OFF THE TABLE, even us folks on the outside knew something was happening, purely due to the perverted direction his sermons had taken.  He was "protesteth-ing too much."

Cindy always knew he was a pervert, she just thought thst she had it in check, through her debriefing doctrine.  You can't reform another human from without.  But that's what the HACker hamdbook was about.  A big downfall of the IFB movement.

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Cindy always knew he was a pervert, she just thought thst she had it in check, through her debriefing doctrine.  You can't reform another human from without.  But that's what the HACker hamdbook was about.  A big downfall of the IFB movement.

Anishinabe

Along with the demerit system.

Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

You mean that is it for your list?

Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

Thst came strait from the Army, along with alot of Bro.Hyles' 'doctrine'

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

Thst came strait from the Army, along with alot of Bro.Hyles' 'doctrine'

Anishinabe

It sure didn't come from the Bible. It was just human reasoning.

I like the demerit system. 

Clearly defined rules with clearly defined punishments.  My kids have been in schools with no such system and chaos rules.

Binaca Chugger said:

Clearly defined rules with clearly defined punishments.  My kids have been in schools with no such system and chaos rules.
Chaos rules, because they are not under their rightful authority...you.

Anishinabe

Binaca Chugger said:

Don't mean to argue here but tell me this: How can one go to hackadoodle one day and get demerits for missing haircheck, go back 5 days later without having gotten a haircut and pass haircheck? Not quite so clearly defined. And the problem to me was that there was no court of appeal. Bro. Hyles would holler that you should not even get one demerit. You get some that were undeserved and there was nobody to appeal to.

BALAAM said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Don't mean to argue here but tell me this: How can one go to hackadoodle one day and get demerits for missing haircheck, go back 5 days later without having gotten a haircut and pass haircheck? Not quite so clearly defined. And the problem to me was that there was no court of appeal. Bro. Hyles would holler that you should not even get one demerit. You get some that were undeserved and there was nobody to appeal to.

Favoritism within the ranks of IFBX'er school and college has always happened and always will, imho.

I was in Bible College and one of my friends came into class a little bummed out.  I asked him what was wrong and he told me he got demerits for not wearing a belt.  I told him it wasn't in the rule book.  He asked me if I was sure and I told him 100% sure it wasn't in there.  He went to the staff member who gave him demerits and challenged it on the grounds it wasn't a rule.  They looked and it wasn't there so he rescinded the demerits.  Although the next semester that rule was in the book.  We called it "Doug's Rule".

Dont mind the demerit system, but it needs to be fair! I was always in trouble at HAC. I came from a good Christian home, out of the public school, never a trouble maker, obeyed the rules, but got to HAC , and those demerits always piled up! There was no mercy for me.  My daughter went to a college that also had a demerit system in four years she got maybe 5 demerits!  Because of the way I was treated at college, I have tried to teach my children to always be fair! Always treat others how you would want to be treated, give people the benefit of the doubt and there is always a reason why someone does what they do. My children are not perfect, but I think I have done a good job! (Thank you Lord!!)

I can second that on what a good job or what I believe a great job you have done kaba :)

Your kids are normal,loving,respectful adults..........well the baby is still a child but he is driving now so Holy Cow!!!

Sherryh said:
I can second that on what a good job or what I believe a great job you have done kaba :)

Your kids are normal,loving,respectful adults..........well the baby is still a child but he is driving now so Holy Cow!!!

Only time they are out of control is when they act like their father!

kaba said:
Sherryh said:

Only time they are out of control is when they act like their father!

spoken like a true lady  :) LOL!

IFB X-Files said:
Mathew Ward said:
I was in Bible College and one of my friends came into class a little bummed out.  I asked him what was wrong and he told me he got demerits for not wearing a belt.

In Jr. High if you got caught not wearing a belt you had to wear a girls belt.  Believe me, you never forgot again!  Also, if you got caught chewing gum, you had to chew up one of those purple gum balls and then stick it on your nose for the day (I'm not making this up).  Those were the good 'ol days.
Was your school very large? 

Anishinabe

IFB X-Files said:
prophet said:
Was your school very large? 

Anishinabe

Around 400.
It makes a difference, how many people see you humiliated.  A typical 'Christian School' with 7 students, from 7th to 12th grade, half of whom are your siblings, would have lessened the effect.

Anishinabe

Jennifer Weber I don't know her maiden name she was from Forest Hills in Atlanta,Ga. Is this the same person? She was on my dorm floor in college............small world.
Times have changed! Have to talked to them lately? Ask them why they left Crown!
This was recently posted on Jenny Weber’s website:

I find interesting here, though not shocked by the post because of all the depravity we’ve all heard of, that she claims that part of her faith/belief system that she doesn’t offer or listen to gossip. Here, she wants all of us to believe what she says because she witnessed it (both heard and saw)! So that’s okay and not gossip, but anything we say IS gossip and not to be believed!
I am a little curious as to who this “Pastor X” is because I just find the whole thing inappropriately funny!
If you read through Jenny’s chronicled posts, you can come to realize how fast her “independent fundamental baptist values” fly out the window! I am not sure about Greg. He always, with his brother Ron, referred to Dave Hyles as the Pied Piper. He could get very mad, very quickly, but I always thought that he wasn’t quite on board with all that came out of FBCH. I had a healthy respect for him, but never for her. I only admired that she set her cap for her man and stayed the course until she got him and has apparently kept him for forty years!
I am very honest about my feelings, about my experiences at FBCH and about my faith now. I don’t try to fool anyone for the sake of appearances. I don’t know anything about Greg being unfaithful, so I can’t comment on that, but, I can say that if he was, I sure might understand why and think that perhaps he, like most who become unfaithful, hoped he wouldn’t be caught. I do not actually mean to advocate cheating, but I understand that it happens and I think one should just come out and tell their spouse instead of waiting on the sky to fall. Get it out there and deal with it however you choose in the privacy of your own home, hopefully!
Honestly, though, binge-reading jennyweber.com is a hoot!
I would like to add that I have read about and support Joy Evans Ryder in her lawsuit against Dave, the church, the Hyles’ estate and applaud her attorney for going at it from the RICO Act. I hope she is successful. Her parents used her horribly and I don’t know if she has forgiven that, but I don’t believe I could.