Anyone a fan of Firefly / Serenity?

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I seem to recall Firefly or Serenity started with a sex scene, but since I zone those out I'm not sure.  Firefly was a one-season tv show.  Serenity was a follow-up movie.

Otherwise, I am a huge fan of the series and the movie.  I like how they handled profanity in the series.  There wasn't any, that I recall.  Instead of "g-damn" they always said "gorram". 

And they were constantly shifting to Chinese phrases, under the assumption that in the future, Chinese culture had integrated into society.  Their pronunciation of the Chinese phrases was awful, though.  My wife couldn't even understand half of what they said, and she's fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese.

There are actually some similarities between the lead character in Firefly (Captain Malcolm Reynolds) and Deadpool, which is one of the things that made the lead character so much fun to watch. 

ADDED:  A similarity I have in mind is just like the Bugs Bunny example, where Bugs pulls out a gun and shoots a man in the audience whose coughing keeps interrupting his concert. 

One of my favorite moments in Firefly is when Mal (Captain Reynolds) decides not to do a job, because it would deprive needy people of their medicine. 

So he tells a huge nasty thug to take the money back to his boss and tell him the contract is cancelled.  The thug refuses and says he'll eventually find Mal and torture and kill him.  So he casually kicks the thug into the ship's engine which obviously obliterates him.  Then he moves on to the next thug and tells him to take the money back to the boss, etc., and the second thug is like, "Okay, okay, good, fine with me."

Web said:
We are big fans.

And Captain Tightpants is easy on the eyes.  (Added to tweak a few on the FFF)

It's been a while since we watched the DVD series.  Fox messed up and played them out of sequence, so the very first episode was the train story which didn't occur until later in the season.  So, I don't remember any titillating scenes in the opening.  There was a married couple on Firefly, but no lovemaking scenes. 

As i recall, Serenity started out with Summer Glau in some sort of dream sequence/torture scene before her brother rescued her?  Been a long time.  Time to binge-watch...

There were a couple of scenes where Inara (a character who was a "Companion" or certified prostitute) was performing her, um, professional duties during the series, and one early in the movie, I believe, by way of introducing the character.  It wasn't in the series opener, as far as I remember.

Keep 'em flying!

Agent P said:
Web said:
We are big fans.

And Captain Tightpants is easy on the eyes.  (Added to tweak a few on the FFF)

It's been a while since we watched the DVD series.  Fox messed up and played them out of sequence, so the very first episode was the train story which didn't occur until later in the season.  So, I don't remember any titillating scenes in the opening.  There was a married couple on Firefly, but no lovemaking scenes. 

As i recall, Serenity started out with Summer Glau in some sort of dream sequence/torture scene before her brother rescued her?  Been a long time.  Time to binge-watch...

There were a couple of scenes where Inara (a character who was a "Companion" or certified prostitute) was performing her, um, professional duties during the series, and one early in the movie, I believe, by way of introducing the character.  It wasn't in the series opener, as far as I remember.

Keep 'em flying!

Yeah, that's how I vaguely remember it.  I think it was somewhere at the start of the movie.  But, as I said about Deadpool, I zone out those scenes.  They're boring and unnecessary, but they don't keep me from enjoying the rest of the movie. 

I don't know that it's how the series opened, but Kaylee joined the Firefly crew when Mal caught her in flagrante delicto with some sandy-haired doofus in the engine room.

One of my favorite lines in any movie ever was Jayne's answer to "How much ammo do we have left" near the end of Serenity.

NorrinRadd said:
I don't know that it's how the series opened, but Kaylee joined the Firefly crew when Mal caught her in flagrante delicto with some sandy-haired doofus in the engine room.

One of my favorite lines in any movie ever was Jayne's answer to "How much ammo do we have left" near the end of Serenity.

I don't remember that.  Now I'm going to have to watch it again. 

Yes! Actually I'm a fan of pretty much everything Joss Whedon has created/directed.

Besides Firefly/Serenity, that includes Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV series, not the lame movie), Angel and Dollhouse. Also more recently Agents of S.H.I.E,L,D. and the last two Avengers movies,

Izdaari said:
Yes! Actually I'm a fan of pretty much everything Joss Whedon has created/directed.

Besides Firefly/Serenity, that includes Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV series, not the lame movie), Angel and Dollhouse. Also more recently Agents of S.H.I.E,L,D. and the last two Avengers movies,

Me too.  I'm a big fan of all Joss Whedon's work of which I am aware. 

I never really got a chance to like "Dollhouse," but otherwise I'm a pretty consistent Whedon fan.

I always smile when I see the Mutant Enemy lurch across the screen after an episode of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."