Baptist Traditions

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
We all are aware of the "traditions of men" that permeate many false religions.  Many of these traditions are taught as a means to salvation by these false religions.  I do not believe that Baptists I have known have traditions that add to salvation's plan.  On the other hand, I would say that Baptists have traditions on which we stand strong but they have no Biblical backing.  Not that they are wrong.  Not that they are unGodly.  What would you put on this list? 

RAIDER said:
We all are aware of the "traditions of men" that permeate many false religions.  Many of these traditions are taught as a means to salvation by these false religions.  I do not believe that Baptists I have known have traditions that add to salvation's plan.  On the other hand, I would say that Baptists have traditions on which we stand strong but they have no Biblical backing.  Not that they are wrong.  Not that they are unGodly.  What would you put on this list?

Baptism - "alien"

RAIDER said:

Lord's Supper - closed - close - open

Avoiding singing any "new" song written by someone who is not a Baptist.  If Ron Hamilton wrote the song it is ok.  If Bill Gather wrote the song it's not ok.

RAIDER said:
Avoiding singing any "new" song written by someone who is not a Baptist.  If Ron Hamilton wrote the song it is ok.  If Bill Gather wrote the song it's not ok.

My pet peeve is "To God Be the Glory" by Andre Crouch.  His testimony is questionable, plus the verse"just let me live my life" is not scriptural.

Twisted said:
RAIDER said:

My pet peeve is "To God Be the Glory" by Andre Crouch.  His testimony is questionable, plus the verse"just let me live my life" is not scriptural.

Isn't he saying he wants to live his life in a way that would be pleasing to the Lord?

4everfsu said:
Romans road, maybe just IFBX

Are there some Baptist that say the Roman's Road must be used when leading someone to Christ?

RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
RAIDER said:

Isn't he saying he wants to live his life in a way that would be pleasing to the Lord?

Just let me live my life
Let it be pleasing, Lord to Thee

That's not what he says.  That, with his questionable testimony and cocaine use....well, maybe the NEW IFB accepts that.

Twisted said:
RAIDER said:
Twisted said:
RAIDER said:

Just let me live my life
Let it be pleasing, Lord to Thee

That's not what he says.  That, with his questionable testimony and cocaine use....well, maybe the NEW IFB accepts that.

I'm not saying he did not do what you mentioned.  I don't think when he penned the song he was saying he wanted to do whatever he wanted and the Lord would have to accept it.  When I read the lyrics I see him saying he was going to continue to live his life and he wanted it to please the Lord.  Obviously, that's not what happened.

RAIDER said:

There was a time when a song only became acceptable once it was recorded by FBC or HAC.  If they sang "The King is Coming,", then so could the rest of us.  If they sang a Twila Paris song, then the rest of us could sing that "specific" song.  I used to love the song "The Mission" by Steve Greene, but I always considered it taboo.  However, on my first day at HAC, they sang it in a special meeting.  After that, I always felt it was now acceptable :)

I had a choir member once tell me that she didn't think we should sing Bill Gaither songs.  She said they wouldn't sing any of his songs in Hammond.  I then named several songs that FBC and HAC had recorded from Bill Gaither (I Believe in a Hill Called Mt. Calvary, Sinner Saved by Grace, Because He Lives).  She never complained about my song selection again :)

cpizzle said:
RAIDER said:

There was a time when a song only became acceptable once it was recorded by FBC or HAC.  If they sang "The King is Coming,", then so could the rest of us.  If they sang a Twila Paris song, then the rest of us could sing that "specific" song.  I used to love the song "The Mission" by Steve Greene, but I always considered it taboo.  However, on my first day at HAC, they sang it in a special meeting.  After that, I always felt it was now acceptable :)

I had a choir member once tell me that she didn't think we should sing Bill Gaither songs.  She said they wouldn't sing any of his songs in Hammond.  I then named several songs that FBC and HAC had recorded from Bill Gaither (I Believe in a Hill Called Mt. Calvary, Sinner Saved by Grace, Because He Lives).  She never complained about my song selection again :)

That is a great example!  The church in which I grew up did not allow anyone to sing a song written by Bill or Gloria Gather for a special.  We now use a "Baptist" songbook filled with their music. 

RAIDER said:
We now use a "Baptist" songbook filled with their music.

Compromise or common-sense?

Twisted said:
RAIDER said:
We now use a "Baptist" songbook filled with their music.

Compromise or common-sense?

Depends on your angle.  If a song was "wrong" 30 years ago, it is "wrong" today.  If it was "wrong" because the writer was not a Baptist than we need to throw away the majority of our hymn book.  If it was "wrong" because the lyrics were not Biblical, it is still "wrong" today. 

This is just my personal opinion - and not all Baptist churches do this- but I strongly dislike when the pastoral staff remains sitting on the platform during the message. Perhaps, it's not just Baptists, but I've never been to any other type of church, and I had never seen Baptist churches do it until I went to college.

patriotic said:
This is just my personal opinion - and not all Baptist churches don't do this- but I strongly dislike when the pastoral staff remains sitting on the platform during the message. Perhaps, it's not just Baptists, but I've never been to any other type of church, and I had never seen Baptist churches do it until I went to college.
Agreed...
I can understand if the auditorium is packed out and they have to stay up there for space saving sake, but that's about it.  I'm sure most staff would rather  sitting with their families anyway.

RAIDER said:

I find this hard because there are degrees of various things that, on the one end, ARE wrong.

For example, I'm fine with respecting the pastor.  Many churches have a reserved parking spot for him, as a way to show him respect or honor.  But, for a pastor to insist that his staff always exalt him to "the members" (implied lower-class) is wrong.  It's one thing to use a pastor as a spiritual counselor; it's another to think he is "the" spiritual counselor, or to state (or imply) that one cannot determine the will of God without first talking to the pastor.

One tradition that drives me crazy is skipping the 3rd verse of hymns.  It seems to be almost universal to sing 1st, 2nd, and 4th.

Walt said:
RAIDER said:

I find this hard because there are degrees of various things that, on the one end, ARE wrong.

That's why I am looking for traditions that have no Biblical backing.

Walt said:
RAIDER said:

For example, I'm fine with respecting the pastor.  Many churches have a reserved parking spot for him, as a way to show him respect or honor.  But, for a pastor to insist that his staff always exalt him to "the members" (implied lower-class) is wrong.  It's one thing to use a pastor as a spiritual counselor; it's another to think he is "the" spiritual counselor, or to state (or imply) that one cannot determine the will of God without first talking to the pastor.

Agreed!