Bob Gray says we shouldn't endorse political candidates because JH didn't

Norefund

Elect
Reaction score
Read his current blog post. He refers to the actions of Jack Hyles many times. Curiously, I don't see any Bible verses or guidance from the teachings of Jesus in this post. huh.

Norefund said:
Read his current blog post. He refers to the actions of Jack Hyles many times. Curiously, I don't see any Bible verses or guidance from the teachings of Jesus in this post. huh.
That's not all he said.......

Probably..........more to do with 501-C-3.

Norefund said:

Of course not.  This man is totally consumed by Jack Hyles.

I can almost feel sorry for him (Bob Gray); I believe that his reward will be quite small when the deaths his philosophy caused are weighed in the balance, and his ministry is found wanting.

Norefund said:

Because we all know that Jack Hyles is our authority on everything!  (rolls eyes).

Norefund said:

I read his stuff quite often. If it wasn't for Jack Hyles he would have little to say. Wait, he has little to say now!

Norefund said:

Well then if JH said it, that settles it, we can all go home now.

Makes no difference what Bro. Hyles said, this is a 501(c)(3) issue.

Churches put themselves in jeopardy when they endorse political candidates, unless you are a black church, then you get a pass.

Did a quick search:
Hyles mentions = 16
Jesus mentions = 0
Bible verses = 0

Clearly all we need to know is "What would Jack do" and apply that to our lives.

Bob Grays sidekick Tonto (I mean Domelle) says the same thing. I wish they would say that it is a financial issue and a pastor or church could be in trouble but they don't. They both try to weave an elaborate moral and biblical issue out of it. And they both sound foolish.

Interestingly enough, a lot of their contemporaries are seeming to be very quick to write their own special endorsement for a particular candidate.

Yes, but it would be hard to get an entire fawning  JH blog post out of just pointing out the obvious legal and financial reason, wouldn't it?

bgwilkinson said:

Churches put themselves in jeopardy when they endorse political candidates, unless you are a black church, then you get a pass.

Norefund said:
Yes, but it would be hard to get an entire fawning  JH blog post out of just pointing out the obvious legal and financial reason, wouldn't it?

bgwilkinson said:

That's a fact.  :)

bgwilkinson said:

I don't know how long the 501(c)(3) rule has been on the books; I also don't know why it was passed; if the thinking was that people are not  smart enough to think for themselves, and will vote for whomever the priest says to vote for, that's just insulting.  I'm not sure that the 501(c)(3) rule serves any useful purpose.

Historically, pastors would certainly get involved in "politics".

In Scripture,  I cannot think of a verse one way or the other, so this may be an area where the Bible is silent.

Of course (it seems to me) that the real reason  for the blog is to take a swipe at Jeff Fugate - I think BG still desires to have the position that JH had of being able to dictate to a (large?) segment of the IFB world.

Walt said:
bgwilkinson said:

I don't know how long the 501(c)(3) rule has been on the books; I also don't know why it was passed; if the thinking was that people are not  smart enough to think for themselves, and will vote for whomever the priest says to vote for, that's just insulting.  I'm not sure that the 501(c)(3) rule serves any useful purpose.

Historically, pastors would certainly get involved in "politics".

In Scripture,  I cannot think of a verse one way or the other, so this may be an area where the Bible is silent.

Of course (it seems to me) that the real reason  for the blog is to take a swipe at Jeff Fugate - I think BG still desires to have the position that JH had of being able to dictate to a (large?) segment of the IFB world.

Short answer, provides exemption from Federal Corp taxes.
With the exemption comes the rules that must be obeyed to retain tax exemption.
Churches since 1913 have available tax exemption.

Disclaimer;
This is a general none specific simplified explanation.

Walt said:

Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson pushed it through in the mid-50's.  Purpose?  Government control.