"Cabin in the Sky" (1943)

biscuit1953

Elect
Reaction score
This is one of the most entertaining movies I have seen in several years.  I left work early because my back was hurting and while channel surfing found this movie made in 1943.  Petunia Jackson (Ethel Waters) a church going woman is married to a no account shiftless gambler named Little Joe Jackson ("Rochester" on Jack Benny).  Realizing his wrong living he is planning to go to church to "repent" of his lifestyle but before he can he get to the altar he is summoned through the church window and gets involved once more in a gambling scheme and is shot for using loaded dice.  On his deathbed he actually dies but his wife pleading with the Lord begs for a second chance.  The devil and the angel sent by the Lord are in his room arguing over his soul and because of his wife's prayers he is given six months to prove his repentance.  Ethyl Waters never became a Christian until 1957 and even though the movie isn't 100% doctrinally correct it does show that in America people even in Hollywood had a sense of what was considered sinful living.  Very entertaining.  Here are some of the transcripts.  It can be seen on YouTube.

Little Joe -  I'm wrestling with the devil. While I was looking for the necktie in the bureau drawer... ...I also found two calamity cubes. And I ain't thrown them away yet. If I been redeemed, why ain't I pitched them right into the stove?

Petunia - The fact you told me you found them shows you are trying to be good, Little Joe.

Little Joe (to characters whistling to him in the church window) -  Don't whistle at me through a church window, gentlemen. - Can't you see I'm busy getting saved?

Shady Characters - Now, wait a minute. Wait with that "getting saved" business until you pays the money you owe. - And you owes me more.  Oh, you can get saved any day. An opportunity like this only comes once.

Petunia (at Little Joe's deathbed) - Lord... ...please don't take Little Joe from me. I know how sinful he's been lately, but I love him. And please forgive me for loving him so much. But Little Joe ain't wicked. He's just weak. And if he dies now, the devil's going to get him sure. And he don't deserve to be in a mess like that. Little Joe ain't that bad. So if you'll just let him get well again... ...I promise you he'll mend his ways and give you no more trouble. Amen.

I think I saw that years ago.  Good movie.

I also remember seeing a beautiful scene in an old Disney movie.  Snow White gets on her knees to pray, and a ray of sunshine focuses on her.

Funny you were watching it last night. I was channel surfing and found it also. It is a hoot to watch. I thought Louis Armstrong was in the movie, playing the trumpet. If not him, someone like him.

Recovering IFB said:
Actually, it's pretty bad theology.
I agree but compared to the vile filth that is being produced today by Hollywood where nothing is sacred and every perversion is glorified I thought it was very entertaining.