"Chinese Virus"

Spanish flu, Japanese encephalitis, Ebola, West Nile, and MERS...

Trump is a cad, but the media is a tool (ahem), and snowflakes are real.

"Chinese virus" is no more racist than "Chinese food." It denotes a place of origin, not an ethnicity. No one with a brain thinks the Chinese people are responsible for this pandemic.

But, on the other hand, the big orange jerk is right: it was the Chinese government that covered up and obfuscated that they had a serious epidemic on their hands, until it was too late to contain. Their incompetence unleashed COVID-19 on the world.

In honour of beloved leader Xi Jinpeng, we should be calling it "Winnie-the-flu."

When we had a novel case of Ebola appear in the United States in 1989 the CDC properly named and forever cataloged it as "Ebola Reston". They did this, not to be racist or because they hated the citizens of Reston, VA, but because that's how we have identified "new" viruses that appear throughout the world. When I say Ebola Marburg, everyone in the medical community instantly understand that's the strain of ebola that first appeared in Marburg, Germany in 1967. At that time scientists believed the origin of that strain was Africa and that it came to Germany via migrating bats. That strain was still named by where the first case was discovered, Marburg, Germany.

Calling this strain of Corona, the Wuhan Coronavirus is not racist, it's just standard practice. I really don't care what we call it I'm just sick of people coining everything racist. Doing so just divides us in a time when we need to be working together.

The media has rendered the word “racist,” unintelligible.