Commentaries and Books on Hebrews

G

graceandtruth

I am doing a study on Hebrews for a series through the book titled "Jesus Greater Than Religion".  Any suggestions on commentaries and books.  Thanks for the help.

Didn't Lloyd-Jones do a massive series on Hebrews? I couldn't imagine that being anything but good.

rk-58.jpg

[quote author=FSSL]Oh... goodness!!! Does it come with crayons?![/quote]

Vitriol and heresy are included with no extra charge!

Here is one by Anglican Brooke Foss Westcott. Of course it has a Church of England flavor much like the KJV. It is quit technical and is a bit dated text critically as Westcott's Text critical methods are generally no longer considered operative today. If you don't read Greek easily you should have a good modern lexicon handy.

It's about 600 pages and is available free of charge in pdf or ebook.

http://books.google.com.au/books/download/The_Epistle_to_the_Hebrews.pdf?id=B9dW8gWFqNIC&hl=en&capid=AFLRE70lxpDmjff1oPpYnrgqeQYXa3l_8OPt11IHk4Qmt8IwV5bcUy1fJKxyRPKoeFLaFgI2MAvJCDD3y8jcTZdcAJF7s7Q-0g&continue=http://books.google.com.au/books/download/The_Epistle_to_the_Hebrews.pdf%3Fid%3DB9dW8gWFqNIC%26output%3Dpdf%26hl%3Den

graceandtruth said:
I am doing a study on Hebrews for a series through the book titled "Jesus Greater Than Religion".  Any suggestions on commentaries and books.  Thanks for the help.

The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Hebrews Hardcover – January 1, 1976
by Oliver B. Greene
http://www.amazon.com/The-Epistle-Paul-Apostle-Hebrews/dp/B000KNJ07G

Hebrews Chapters I - 7 (Thru the Bible)
http://www.amazon.com/Hebrews-Chapters-J-Vernon-McGee/dp/078520816X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379687470&sr=1-1&keywords=Hebrews+mcgee

A couple of suggestions:

1) William Lane's commentary on Hebrews, Volumes 47a and 47b of the WBC series:

http://www.amazon.com/Word-Biblical-Commentary-Vol-Hebrews/dp/0849902460/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382034911&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Word-Biblical-Commentary-Vol-Hebrews/dp/084990935X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382034911&sr=1-3

2) John Owen's Commentary on Hebrews. It has been made available as a free module for e-Sword here:

http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-downloads/file/8984-owen-john-an-exposition-of-the-epistle-to-the-hebrews-7-vols/

In my opinion Owen's work on Hebrews may be the best ever written. It certainly ranks somewhere at the top.

graceandtruth said:

My suggestion is to get into the Book of Hebrews itself and forego commentaries. Allow God to teach you the Book. Understanding of Hebrews is best found in becoming familiar with the Book itself, which means you are going to have to do the work, which means of course you are going to have to read it.

A preacher once said "I do not attempt to teach from any Book until I have read it fifty times," and gave as a reason what I have said above. Hebrews, when I was first saved, seemed to be a mysterious and unfathomable Book, but, when I heard this preacher make this statement I determined to do this with Hebrews, and I did not get through ten readings before it began to make sense. By being able to compare what was said in each Chapter with other Chapters, I was able to see a pattern of themes the Writer was presenting, and at this point Hebrews is not only understandable, but contains Doctrine which helps us to understand the Old and New Testaments better.

Another preacher said "Hebrews is the Holy of Holies of the Bible," and I agree with that.

So, take off your shoes, find a quiet place, and read, read, read. What will follow is the necessity to study, study, study, lol. There is a difference.

But I guarantee if you do this, and forego commentaries, God will allow you to understand the Book as He gave it to us. The sad fact is that just about every commentary we can find fails to expound the Book of Hebrews properly. That is my opinion, of course, but, I offer that opinion with an open invitation to anyone interested to look at this Book.

God bless.

S.T.Ranger said:
...which means of course you are going to have to read it.

You're making things difficult, aren't you?

S.T.Ranger said:
My suggestion is to get into the Book of Hebrews itself and forego commentaries.

Or, better yet, allow the teachers with whom God has gifted the church to teach you.

Ransom said:
S.T.Ranger said:
My suggestion is to get into the Book of Hebrews itself and forego commentaries.

Or, better yet, allow the teachers with whom God has gifted the church to teach you.

There is no question babes in Christ need godly teachers, but, that does not mean even they are reliant on teachers, because it is just a sad fact that there are going to be people saved who are part of fellowships and under instruction God will lead them away from.

Secondly, I think we see a clear principle of progressing from babes unto those who actually teach the Word of God as a natural expectation for every believer (and of course the capacity differs, but no-one is excused, in my view):

Hebrews 5:10-14
King James Version (KJV)

10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.

12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

This is directed at Jews, who had been familiar with the "First Principles of the Oracles of God" long enough that they should have had the capacity to teach it, but, instead they are rebuked as those who need to be taught the ABCs of the Old Testament again.

He goes on to state...

Hebrews 6
King James Version (KJV)

1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

3 And this will we do, if God permit.

Most commentaries will teach that the "full age" of Ch.5 speaks of maturity, and that is true to an extent, but, has more in sight the contrast between the First Principles of the Oracles of God (equated to the First Principles of the Doctrine of Christ) and "perfection." Or in other words, the ABCs as opposed to that which is more complete, which, if we back up to Ch.5 we see that it is about Christ our Great High Priest he wants to teach of in detail (which thankfully he will go on to do, lol).

So yes, we need teachers, but, we need teachers that teach their students how to teach. Its like the old saying, "Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and feed him for the rest of his life."

And I hate to say it but I have seen often enough the positions of leadership zealously guarded. Recently had one Pastor tell me that people needed to come to Church to be taught, and basically discourage trying to teach people outside of the Sunday School classroom (which usually bores me to tears).

God bless.

S.T.Ranger said:
There is no question babes in Christ need godly teachers, but, that does not mean even they are reliant on teachers, because it is just a sad fact that there are going to be people saved who are part of fellowships and under instruction God will lead them away from.

It might be nice if you wrote coherent sentences that people could acutally understand.

Ransom said:
S.T.Ranger said:

It might be nice if you wrote coherent sentences that people could acutally understand.

Listen to him.  His people invented English.