Commentaries and Books on Hebrews

For the readers among us  8)

What commentaries on Hebrews do I recommend?

Ellingworth
Allen
O'Brien

graceandtruth said:
I am doing a study on Hebrews for a series through the book titled "Jesus Greater Than Religion".  Any suggestions on commentaries and books.  Thanks for the help.

I have heard good things about John Philips commentary. (might be Phillips instead of Philips).

Ransom said:
S.T.Ranger said:
There is no question babes in Christ need godly teachers, but, that does not mean even they are reliant on teachers, because it is just a sad fact that there are going to be people saved who are part of fellowships and under instruction God will lead them away from.

It might be nice if you wrote coherent sentences that people could acutally understand.
Let me put it in easier to understand statements:

New converts can benefit from godly teachers.

That does not mean they are not also being taught by God (as new converts).

This is a good thing because some people are saved in fellowships with horrible Doctrine and Practice.

God will teach them, and lead them in their growth.

Better?

God bless.

S.T.Ranger said:
This is a good thing because some people are saved in fellowships with horrible Doctrine and Practice.
Better?

So are you maintaining your advice against using commentaries, changing your mind about it, or changing the subject?

Ransom said:
S.T.Ranger said:
Better?

So are you maintaining your advice against using commentaries, changing your mind about it, or changing the subject?

First, this last post addresses a false argument that I deny commentaries as useful tools, and secondly, my position was for someone who seemed to be more than a babe in Christ.
Again, the point is that the time must come when those who rely on commentaries shed their need for them and begin to study Scripture on their own.

It is my opinion that a Bible Student can, without any aids, read Scripture and come to right conclusions as to what God meant to teach them. So instead of pointing men to commentaries, it is better to teach them to study on their own, following basic principles that are usually employed.

God bless.