Converts Down The aisle

patriotic said:
sword said:
This is a question for those who attend "soul winning" type churches.

Does your pastor ever have his new converts in church?
Do they come forward & make public professions of faith? Do they get baptized?
Do other soul winners bring their converts to church?

This is what we were taught & trained but is it no longer practiced?
Yes
I'm glad to hear it. I assume there are many out there practicing the model we were taught.

Other than BG are there some examples of pastors who have converts down the isle and baptized at least on a monthly basis. I have a close friend who told me his "old fashioned soul winning" church pastor has not had one of his convert baptized in the 10 years he has been a member there. I'm just curious if this is anecdotal or commonplace.

sword said:
This is a question for those who attend "soul winning" type churches.

Does your pastor ever have his new converts in church?
Do they come forward & make public professions of faith? Do they get baptized?
Do other soul winners bring their converts to church?

This is what we were taught & trained but is it no longer practiced?

We rejoice as a church when someone is saved, and praise God.  We generally do not give praise or uplift the one that saw the increase.  Thus, the pastor doesn't have "his converts", nor does anyone else.

IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
Sherryh said:
Bob Gray in Texas drove around and picked his converts up so they could be in church. My husband drove with him during a big day once.....

I was in the area and visited the church Gray was pastoring.  I got there probably a half and hour before Sunday School started.  About 15 minutes later I saw Gray drive up with a couple he had won to the Lord the day before.  I can only testify of the Sunday I was there.

No doubt Gray claimed you as a convert.  Did he baptize you too?

Definitely some good guys those Grays.

sword said:
Sherryh said:
Bob Gray in Texas drove around and picked his converts up so they could be in church. My husband drove with him during a big day once.....
Is followup with your converts no longer taught? Is it too much effort to go back & invite them to church? Why do so many churches rarely see their converts get in a church & began to grow as Christians. Is this not how it is suppose to be?

Because the emphasis is on soul winning only.  We rejoice over the one, or one hundred, that repent and trust Christ.  Then, we go out and do it again to see more people saved so that more people can escape hell.  The emphasis is purely on soul winning.  Discipleship has been forgotten for the past couple of decades in much of the IFB movement.  They proclaim that Sunday School is the discipleship program, which it can well be.  However, no one is following up with the one, or one hundred, that was saved last week in the highways and the hedges.  The Great Omission in the IFB is Mat 28:20 - teaching them...

If you went to them to share the Gospel, go to them to disciple.

Binaca Chugger said:
sword said:
Sherryh said:
Is followup with your converts no longer taught? Is it too much effort to go back & invite them to church? Why do so many churches rarely see their converts get in a church & began to grow as Christians. Is this not how it is suppose to be?

Because the emphasis is on soul winning only.  We rejoice over the one, or one hundred, that repent and trust Christ.  Then, we go out and do it again to see more people saved so that more people can escape hell.  The emphasis is purely on soul winning.  Discipleship has been forgotten for the past couple of decades in much of the IFB movement.  They proclaim that Sunday School is the discipleship program, which it can well be.  However, no one is following up with the one, or one hundred, that was saved last week in the highways and the hedges.  The Great Omission in the IFB is Mat 28:20 - teaching them...

If you went to them to share the Gospel, go to them to disciple.

Thankfully, there has been a return among some in the IFB to discipleship in the past couple of years.  Hopefully, the small churches will influence the mega churches to return to the Biblical pattern.

How do you disciple a person who has been coerced to pray a prayer?

Manipulated, you might say.

Jim Jones said:

By helping them understand the Truth towards repentance and personal faith.

Duh.  ::)

Binaca Chugger said:
Jim Jones said:

Exactly.

Convince them they've had the gift of faith.

Even when they haven't.

Jim Jones said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Jim Jones said:

Exactly.

Even when they haven't.

So, since they were once given false assurance, you can't share the Truth with them that will lead them to repentance and personal faith?  That's messed up, man! 

Binaca Chugger said:
Jim Jones said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Jim Jones said:

Exactly.

Even when they haven't.

So, since they were once given false assurance, you can't share the Truth with them that will lead them to repentance and personal faith?  That's messed up, man!

Just keep trying to convince them.