Corporal Punishment at HB

tobytyler

Elect
Reaction score
This is "copy and paste" from the Do Right HAC page from Sherri Munger, one of the admins of the site.
I believe that what she has written is completely false, a huge exaggeration and she's trying to cast even a darker cloud over FBC and HB.  Below is what she wrote:

Sherri Munger-Tyler "Linda M. Fossen, all the FBCH-owned and operated schools, clear up through high school, paddled with a large wooden paddle with holes drilled in it to increase the sting. I would imagine they still do. Teachers used their own forms of physical punishment, as well. Every teacher I had there punsihed students by making them hold their arms out, parallel to the ground, then piling encyclopedias on their hands. If their arms dipped, they were sent to the office for a paddling. Many teachers drew a small circle on the chalkboard just above the offending student's head. The student had to stand on tiptoe with nose in circle and if their nose came out of the circle, they were sent to the office for paddling. I never heard of anyone in the school system using a strap or belt, but others may have. During my time at the college, I never heard of a college student being paddled but students who attended HAC in more recent years have posted on this group about being paddled by staff members at the college for different offenses."

Can anybody agree with these statements?  I attended all of HB schools and never have seen this done---and Sherri claims that "EVERY TEACHER" that she had used this form of discipline. (FYI--she only attended HBGS through the 6th grade.)  Just weeks ago, she went off on anybody who thought that Linda Hyles' statements were a bit of exaggerating; now Sherri has gone off of the deep end.

I'd like to hear from other HBers,,,, Matt Richards, Smellin, etc

All my kids went to hb and I knew there were some spankings it was not widespread by any means. One of my grankids just told me last week that they don't spank kids anymore.

Any college kid who would pay to go there and allow himself to be spanked deserves far worse.

Balaam, I would think it's the rare school that would utilize spankings anymore -- and I'm betting the number is very close to 0%.  It opens wide the door to a charge of abuse and a lawsuit, as well.

I just spoke with a reliable source that stated corporal punishment in the JR High and High School is as rare as hens teeth. No one wants to be sued. Plus you can go to jail for doing it.
There may be mild love pats in the grade school though.

Went to HB all 13 yrs of my schooling. Pretty sure spankings are rare to obsolete. I do know of a guy who once made a paddle with holes drilled in it in wood shop. But that was just a bunch of tomfoolery on his part 8)

Spanking is not against the law in the State of Indiana.

tobytyler said:
This is "copy and paste" from the Do Right HAC page from Sherri Munger, one of the admins of the site.
I believe that what she has written is completely false, a huge exaggeration and she's trying to cast even a darker cloud over FBC and HB.  Below is what she wrote:

Sherri Munger-Tyler "Linda M. Fossen, all the FBCH-owned and operated schools, clear up through high school, paddled with a large wooden paddle with holes drilled in it to increase the sting. I would imagine they still do. Teachers used their own forms of physical punishment, as well. Every teacher I had there punsihed students by making them hold their arms out, parallel to the ground, then piling encyclopedias on their hands. If their arms dipped, they were sent to the office for a paddling. Many teachers drew a small circle on the chalkboard just above the offending student's head. The student had to stand on tiptoe with nose in circle and if their nose came out of the circle, they were sent to the office for paddling. I never heard of anyone in the school system using a strap or belt, but others may have. During my time at the college, I never heard of a college student being paddled but students who attended HAC in more recent years have posted on this group about being paddled by staff members at the college for different offenses."

Can anybody agree with these statements?  I attended all of HB schools and never have seen this done---and Sherri claims that "EVERY TEACHER" used this form of discipline.  Just weeks ago, she went off on anybody who thought that Linda Hyles' statements were a bit of exaggerating; now Sherri has gone off of the deep end.

I'd like to hear from other HBers,,,, Matt Richards, Smellin, etc
I personally was spanked often, and made to hold Victory Drill Books in the predescribed manner while looking out of the window, neither of which practices did me any harm or seemed unordinary.  After all, I still managed to make honor roll, and win various sports awards.  This was the late 70's and early 80's, mind you, and the public schools still spanked high school students.  I fail to see what all of the commotion is about.

Anishinabe

I can also verify the large wooden paddle with holes drilled in it. The degree of "discipline" vs. "Abuse" was determined by who was administering the swats. If it was Coach Price or Coach Staab (you know, guys who were comfortable with their masculinity), the swats would be firm but fair. God forbid you got them from Bob Auclair as he used the opportunity to bolster his manhood and would swing with everything he had.

I was spanked twice in 1978, 79.
It hurt, it made me jump, it made me yelp in pain.
The paddle was wooden, with holes drilled in it.
I am scarred for life.

I would agree with the premise of Ms. Munger's assessment though I would not broadbrush with the idea of "every" teacher. I was spanked (by the school) twice, both times my 7th grade year. Both teachers used paddles with holes in them. There were other administrators who did the same for sure.

There were other abuses given by administration outside the school walls that were horrible. I remember a coach cutting the tongue of an elementary school kid with his pocketknife for saying a "bad" word. Another student was beaten bare-back with a belt at the Hyles camp in front of other students. In the school, I watched a teacher literally deck a student in the gym, sending him down the bleachers for talking back. Another time, a kid was made to strip down to his gym shorts (from gym class), carry tires through the halls to cover his torso for several minutes. Each time he dropped the tires to expose his nipples, he was threatened with a swat. Dunno if he got any or not.

Then there was the hot seat which "punished" losing soul-winning teams by making members of the team sit in a chair that was wired and they were literally given shock while in front of the rest of the teens.

So though I cannot confirm everything Ms. Munger mentioned, I will testify that many punishments were extreme even to the point of physical abuse. Can't speak for anything after 1984, though.

16KJV11 said:
I was spanked twice in 1978, 79.
It hurt, it made me jump, it made me yelp in pain.
The paddle was wooden, with holes drilled in it.
I am scarred for life.

But this was at 'public school'... :D

Hogwash and Poppycock!

Born and raised in Hammond.  All 13 yrs at HB.

Corporal punishment is commanded by the Bible.  Child abuse is sin and criminal.  Proper corporal punishment is not child abuse. 

Large paddle - yes.  The broader the face of the paddle the more distribution of the swat and the less lasting impact while accomplishing the goal of immediate repercussion for sin.  Drilling holes in the paddle accomplishes nothing.

In Jr. high, swats were a joke.  You got to sign the paddle and get candy afterwards.  Hardly enough of a swat to even know you were swatted.  Athletes give each other harder swats on the field or court for a good play.  One guy in 8th grade got sent to the office like 8 times in once class and came back laughing every time.

HS was a different matter.  Be prepared for quite the wallop with follow-through if Greg Weber was present.  Otherwise, it was what it was.  Clearly defined rules that were willingly violated brought clearly defined consequences.  No bruising, no mental or physical scars.  Spankings did verify that the administration was committed to their beliefs.  I got swats from Don Boyd quite frequently.  Yes it stung - wah - get over it!  Punishment with plea for corrected behavior was given along with prayer.  A rather correct discipline session.

men spanked guys and ladies spanked girls.

Did so many spankings in school have a long term effect on me?  Yep.  I changed.  I quit the "rebel without a cause" routine and traveled over 9 hours to thank Mr. Boyd for standing for right in our school and praying for the students.  I went again from out of state to his funeral to thank his wife for his commitment to pray an unwillingness to waver.  I was a stupid punk kid who needed to change.

No - No leather straps.  No bare back beatings.  No sessions of endurance torture.  Kids stood by the fence at recess.  Some kids had to run/walk laps.

I heard stories about coaches that were pretty mean - nothing like cutting tongues (seroiusly?), but they were gone before I was older.

The hot seat was a joke.  Thin wires ran across the seat and connected to a battery and had a button to send current through it.  It was funny to watch people jump.  Eddie resurrected it for camp and it was funny.  This is not torture.  You can even by a family game that does essentially the same thing to a trigger you hold in your hand.  It's funny, not torture.  Guys even tried to get the record to see how long they could stay on - not me - not my cup of tea - but they did.

A kid wore shorts without a shirt during practice!?!  gasp  C'mon.  Practice was after school was over, the hallways were used for the teams to run indoors.  Occasionally someone else came through, but so what?  Can't we all hear a coach yelling something to the effect of: "Keep going!  You have to keep going!  Don't drop it!  The whole team is counting on you!  Final 2 minutes!  You drop it you lose!  You drop it You cost us the game!  Keep going!  You drop that and you are gonna be on the bench!  Drop it and face the team!  Drop it and the whole team has to run more laps and they are gonna swat you as you pass by!  You drop that and you'll get 10 swats!"  Maybe you don't like that kind of coach.  Maybe you don't like Bobby Knight style coaching.  But this isn't on the same level as the Rutgers guy. It surely isn't child abuse.

HAC never spanked students.  Never.  Ridiculous.

This woman is exaggerating, lying and purposefully deceiving people in attempts to bring discredit and hate to an institution against which she is bitter.  When people embellish, exaggerate and purposefully deceive to make a point, they have no point.

Binaca Chugger said:
Hogwash and Poppycock!

Born and raised in Hammond.  All 13 yrs at HB.

Corporal punishment is commanded by the Bible.  Child abuse is sin and criminal.  Proper corporal punishment is not child abuse. 

Large paddle - yes.  The broader the face of the paddle the more distribution of the swat and the less lasting impact while accomplishing the goal of immediate repercussion for sin.  Drilling holes in the paddle accomplishes nothing.

In Jr. high, swats were a joke.  You got to sign the paddle and get candy afterwards.  Hardly enough of a swat to even know you were swatted.  Athletes give each other harder swats on the field or court for a good play.  One guy in 8th grade got sent to the office like 8 times in once class and came back laughing every time.

HS was a different matter.  Be prepared for quite the wallop with follow-through if Greg Weber was present.  Otherwise, it was what it was.  Clearly defined rules that were willingly violated brought clearly defined consequences.  No bruising, no mental or physical scars.  Spankings did verify that the administration was committed to their beliefs.  I got swats from Don Boyd quite frequently.  Yes it stung - wah - get over it!  Punishment with plea for corrected behavior was given along with prayer.  A rather correct discipline session.

men spanked guys and ladies spanked girls.

Did so many spankings in school have a long term effect on me?  Yep.  I changed.  I quit the "rebel without a cause" routine and traveled over 9 hours to thank Mr. Boyd for standing for right in our school and praying for the students.  I went again from out of state to his funeral to thank his wife for his commitment to pray an unwillingness to waver.  I was a stupid punk kid who needed to change.

No - No leather straps.  No bare back beatings.  No sessions of endurance torture.  Kids stood by the fence at recess.  Some kids had to run/walk laps.

I heard stories about coaches that were pretty mean - nothing like cutting tongues (seroiusly?), but they were gone before I was older.

The hot seat was a joke.  Thin wires ran across the seat and connected to a battery and had a button to send current through it.  It was funny to watch people jump.  Eddie resurrected it for camp and it was funny.  This is not torture.  You can even by a family game that does essentially the same thing to a trigger you hold in your hand.  It's funny, not torture.  Guys even tried to get the record to see how long they could stay on - not me - not my cup of tea - but they did.

A kid wore shorts without a shirt during practice!?!  gasp  C'mon.  Practice was after school was over, the hallways were used for the teams to run indoors.  Occasionally someone else came through, but so what?  Can't we all hear a coach yelling something to the effect of: "Keep going!  You have to keep going!  Don't drop it!  The whole team is counting on you!  Final 2 minutes!  You drop it you lose!  You drop it You cost us the game!  Keep going!  You drop that and you are gonna be on the bench!  Drop it and face the team!  Drop it and the whole team has to run more laps and they are gonna swat you as you pass by!  You drop that and you'll get 10 swats!"  Maybe you don't like that kind of coach.  Maybe you don't like Bobby Knight style coaching.  But this isn't on the same level as the Rutgers guy. It surely isn't child abuse.

HAC never spanked students.  Never.  Ridiculous.

This woman is exaggerating, lying and purposefully deceiving people in attempts to bring discredit and hate to an institution against which she is bitter.  When people embellish, exaggerate and purposefully deceive to make a point, they have no point.

Ummm...BC, you weren't there for those things so you have no legitimate context as to what I was eyewitness to. Concerning those things you were privy to, perhaps you have a different opinion on them but what one man might view as "fun" another might view as "painful". Sorry, that's life.

But to the girls who were sobbing, begging not to sit on the chair it wasn't so much fun. If it was a volunteer thing, no problem, kinda like the teacher who gave a kid $20 to eat a moldy sandwich that had been thrown outside the gym and was in the lawn for a couple weeks. Both voluntarily participated so I don't see a problem with it. But forcing people to experience pain against their will, that's abuse.

Binaca Chugger said:
Corporal punishment is commanded by the Bible.

Who is corporal punishment commanded to?

Who is suppose to carry out the corporal punishment?

Mathew Ward said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Corporal punishment is commanded by the Bible.

Who is corporal punishment commanded to?

Who is suppose to carry out the corporal punishment?

The Roadway Gang.  :)

Who is Sherri Munger and when did she go to the schools?  My thought is if you don't obey the rules, oh well.  Same rules apply at home.  I told my girls when they went that if they got into trouble at school, they get in trouble at home.  Never once had a problem out of them because they feared me the most.  They never got spanked at home, but knowing that the principal or teacher was going to call mom, OMG you thought it was the wrath of god!  One time my youngest got into trouble on the bus, nothing big, I think she talked while going over a railroad track.  The bus driver mentioned it to me.  When my daughter was coming off the bus she was sobbing because he had told her he was going to tell me.  If you have good rules at home, your children won't need to be spanked at school. 

tobytyler said:
This is "copy and paste" from the Do Right HAC page from Sherri Munger...

This is the same as the Linda Hyles speech....theytake a little truth and put a bunch a fertilizer on it.  If they know the truth, come out and say it, but when someone says something that is so far out there and is easily disproven, it just hurts the legitimacy of the argument.  Although the bleeding hearts that they are marketing to are just as cultish as those they are against, and swallow it hook, line, and sinker.

http://youtu.be/WLwI_r_CaY4

Still There said:
Who is Sherri Munger and when did she go to the schools?  My thought is if you don't obey the rules, oh well.  Same rules apply at home.  I told my girls when they went that if they got into trouble at school, they get in trouble at home.  Never once had a problem out of them because they feared me the most.  They never got spanked at home, but knowing that the principal or teacher was going to call mom, OMG you thought it was the wrath of god!  One time my youngest got into trouble on the bus, nothing big, I think she talked while going over a railroad track.  The bus driver mentioned it to me.  When my daughter was coming off the bus she was sobbing because he had told her he was going to tell me.  If you have good rules at home, your children won't need to be spanked at school.

I'm sorry but I must disagree with you here. I would have said the same thing 15 years ago when my kids were in hb and I believed everything that the school said without question. After all these years a lot of the punishments were very arbitrary and subjective. Maybe your kids were like mine and knew that anything they would say would automatically be disbelieved. Some of these teachers and principals were not the bastions of christianity they led us to believe.