Couple Theological questions

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
1. Is there any significance in Good Friday being on Friday? I always assumed that it is just a day that was set aside to remember the the day Christ was crucified. I have never understood how this could be three days and three nights in the grave. Some of the preachers go bonkers at this time of year about how evil anyone is to have Good Friday services and anyway it would have been on Wednesday.

2. I have a vague knowledge of this but not very clear. In simple terms what are the basic differences between the following:
Reformed Theology
Covenant Theology
Dispensational Theology

When I was taking Systematic theology at HAC, I realized that I did not believe in Scofield's seven dispensations. This did not sit well with the teacher. Today, it's hard to find anybody who believes in them.

What? You don't know what Scofield's seven dispensations are? Keep reading  your Bible and you'll never find out.

BALAAM said:
1. Is there any significance in Good Friday being on Friday? I always assumed that it is just a day that was set aside to remember the the day Christ was crucified. I have never understood how this could be three days and three nights in the grave.

That's because it's not 3 days and 3 nights from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning.  So you're lack of "understanding" is correct. 

The only "significance" for Good Friday is it's common acceptance.  The day itself being set aside is either Catholic or apostate Protestantism. 

But why worry about that?  There are many Baptist churches that perpetuate the lie that rabbits lay eggs!

As long as they still sell Peeps, I'm good.

BALAAM said:
1. Is there any significance in Good Friday being on Friday? I always assumed that it is just a day that was set aside to remember the the day Christ was crucified. I have never understood how this could be three days and three nights in the grave. Some of the preachers go bonkers at this time of year about how evil anyone is to have Good Friday services and anyway it would have been on Wednesday.

Wednesday doesn't work either, of course: it's four days until Sunday.

The assumption is that "three days and three nights" means literally 72 hours. But I thought it was fairly widely known that in Hebrew idiom, a partial days is reckoned as a whole day.

Hence Friday, is the first day, Saturday is the second, and Sunday is the third.

And we know it's Friday because all the Gospel authors say it was Friday. They all either call the day prosabbaton ("the day before the sabbath") or paraskeue ("day of preparation"). Those were the ordinary words for the sixth day of the week. Paraskeue is still the Greek word for Friday.

2. I have a vague knowledge of this but not very clear. In simple terms what are the basic differences between the following:
Reformed Theology
Covenant Theology
Dispensational Theology

They're not mutually exclusive. But a fuller explanation would require more time than I have right now.

I haven't read the other answers yet, so these thoughts may be repeats...

BALAAM said:

Because the Scripture says that the next day was the Sabbath, I assume many people assumed Jesus was crucified on Friday... it's become tradition.  If one counts Fri, Sat, and Sun, one has three day, but that doesn't sit well with Jesus' teaching of three days and three nights, which I is 72 hours, which there are clearly not from Fri PM (start of Saturday) to Sun AM -- it's only half the time (about 36 hours).

The big "wake-up" for me was realizing that nothing in any of the Scriptural records say that Jesus arose right before Mary visited His tomb; if Jesus was crucified on Wed (which makes sense), He was in the grave on the Jewish days of Thu, Fri, and Sat, and arose on the first day of the week (Sun PM, our Sat night).  Then, early on Sunday morning, we have the visit of Mary and others to an empty tomb.

Reformed Theology
Covenant Theology
Dispensational Theology

I'm sure that others will explain this better, but "Reformed" is basically Calvinism.  I don't know about Covenant Theology; Dispensational is the idea that God worked with man in different ways throughout all time.  Each of these has wide variations in belief.