Crazy & Racist Dating Rules at Crown!

How's that work when the Holiday Inn Express gives college discounts?????

Vandal said:
Are they "sock sorting?"::)

Looks like the interracial dating rule would only apply if the students had parents or had a significant relationship with parents. Not all students have parents and what about older students?

Admin. said:
Why should this racist dating policy apply to ANYONE?

It shouldn't. We don't have anything like that up in Canada. Seems like an American thing especially in certain states. My guess would be the reason they have this policy is so that they don't have to face the anger of the parents if they turn a blind eye to someone dating someone the parents don't approve of.

What is even crazier than the policy itself is the fact that parents and students know about the policy and accept it without any qualms. I think you'd really have to change their thinking and not Clarence Sexton's thinking - I honestly believe he is somewhat of a pragmatist, he'll remove that rule or any rule if it means more students or not losing students to a certain degree - I don't think he wants his college to be as big as Liberty or something like that - I think his biggest fear is losing and not simply not gaining students.

ABG asked:

Well, they wanted to go to the school, so they agreed to the rules, and they should keep their word and abide by them.

. . . is what the usual suspects would say. Well, true enough, but the argument always sidesteps the fact that some rules are stupid, draconian, unjust, and even sinful - and, really, unworthy of obedience.

brianb said:
Admin. said:

It shouldn't. We don't have anything like that up in Canada. Seems like an American thing especially in certain states. My guess would be the reason they have this policy is so that they don't have to face the anger of the parents if they turn a blind eye to someone dating someone the parents don't approve of.

What is even crazier than the policy itself is the fact that parents and students know about the policy and accept it without any qualms. I think you'd really have to change their thinking and not Clarence Sexton's thinking - I honestly believe he is somewhat of a pragmatist, he'll remove that rule or any rule if it means more students or not losing students to a certain degree - I don't think he wants his college to be as big as Liberty or something like that - I think his biggest fear is losing and not simply not gaining students.

They are scared of the parents? What a stupid reason to have a racist policy. Sextpn and Crown are without excuse.

It's crazy, this college has around 900 students (914 in 2008) which is huge for an IFB college and yet not one of them sees anything wrong with the rules.

I see they are actively pursuing accreditation so maybe they will remove that rule.

Btw, Crown College is officially called Crown College of the Bible and should not be confused with any other college by the same name.

I just love reading stupid fundy college rules. This one caught my attention:

Crown College Conformist Clowns said:
All male students are required to shave each morning before class. Facial hair is not allowed unless it has been worn for the previous five years consecutively or unless it is required for medical reasons. Such facial hair must be neatly groomed at all times. (Student handbook p. 24)

A few thoughts:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Why each morning? There must be wicked lineups in the washrooms for sink time. Why not just say daily?
[*]What's with the five-year rule?  Are they saying that a beard is good or bad?  If it's good, why have the time limit? If not, why allow it to be grandfathered?  If I accidentally clip my beard off too close, am I allowed to shave it off and regrow it, or does it have to stay off from thenceforth?
[*]Don't these clowns have anything important to worry about? Seriously.
[/list]

Ransom, funny you should mention the beard thing. What is it with the facial hair issue? We know that even Jesus had a beard. Why a lot of ifb's fixate on that as an issue?

What is it with the facial hair issue? We know that even Jesus had a beard. Why a lot of ifb's fixate on that as an issue?

Because hippies, beatniks and so forth had facial hair back in the 50s-70s.  It doesn't matter if all varieties of facial hair are now a normal and unremarkable part of male grooming. (I wear a goatee myself.) Because the flower children did it once, it is forever countercultural and therefore rebellious.

Which still makes the grandfather clause a bit weird.  I guess it's OK for you to keep wearing your beard, as long as you've had it since you lived on the street in Haight-Ashbury . . .

Ransom said:
I just love reading stupid fundy college rules. This one caught my attention:

Crown College Conformist Clowns said:
All male students are required to shave each morning before class. Facial hair is not allowed unless it has been worn for the previous five years consecutively or unless it is required for medical reasons. Such facial hair must be neatly groomed at all times. (Student handbook p. 24)

A few thoughts:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Why each morning? There must be wicked lineups in the washrooms for sink time. Why not just say daily?
[*]What's with the five-year rule?  Are they saying that a beard is good or bad?  If it's good, why have the time limit? If not, why allow it to be grandfathered?  If I accidentally clip my beard off too close, am I allowed to shave it off and regrow it, or does it have to stay off from thenceforth?
[*]Don't these clowns have anything important to worry about? Seriously.
[/list]

I don't think their reason is religious. Facial hair rules are not just in Fundie colleges. Firefighters for example have them for safety reasons. As far as the 5 year rule - I'm not sure why they chose 5 years but I think they just don't want people who are just horrible at growing beards (remember the Cheers episode where they had a beard growing contest and one of them had a lousy beard?) - myself a good example - I was told to shave before I could work at a certain place because my facial hair was scaring people. I suspect though it has more to do with image. Most people don't want to look at someone with an ugly beard. I have to shave all the time for my secular job and it's probably for the same reason Crown College students have to shave (if they don't have a 5 year beard). Also it takes a while to grow a decent beard and they don't want guys with stubble or short hairs - that's worse looking than a beard. Generally, men with stubble are viewed as lazy or bums except during NHL play-off season and Movember when it is perfectly acceptable to do grow a beard unless your employer doesn't like it :).

Mercy Me said:
Dating [...] includes sitting with a member of the
opposite sex at a meal, in chapel, or in church.

:eek:

According to their crazy definition, I have had countless dates with many people - some whose name I can not even remember. Most AFTER I was married!

<scandalous>

;)

If sitting next to someone in church and chatting with them is considered a date, than so should be sitting next to someone on an airplane and making polite conversation. I have heard many IFBx pastors speak about such conversations during sermons... According to Crown these married mennogawd have been "dating" and have some 'splainin' to do.

:D

If it's good enough for the goose, it is good enough for the gander.

brianb said:

I don't think their reason is religious. Facial hair rules are not just in Fundie colleges. Firefighters for example have them for safety reasons.

I doubt that they'll be having to don gas masks any time soon.  And I really don't think they've thought their "standards" out as much as you have on their behalf. I suspect it's part cultural inertia (it's been that way for ages), and part the spritual one-upmanship that we see in psycho-fundy churches - where they will pile rule upon rule in an attempt to look all the more "holy" and "separated."

I think these standards are fear based.

~ What if we didn't have these standards? Oh no, the students will all go to the devil!!! ~

But Scripture tells us differently in Col 2:

6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.
20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 21

Hm. Interesting - there are rules against working where alcoholic beverages are sold, but none against consuming said beverages.

Libruls!

AmazedbyGrace said:
If sitting next to someone in church and chatting with them is considered a date, than so should be sitting next to someone on an airplane and making polite conversation. I have heard many IFBx pastors speak about such conversations during sermons... According to Crown these married mennogawd have been "dating" and have some 'splainin' to do.

:D

If it's good enough for the goose, it is good enough for the gander.

That's a dumb rule. If I sit next to a guy and chat with him what's to stop someone from assuming I am gay? In that case I'd rather just sit alone.