"Daily Driver" KJV Study Bible Recommendations

ObadiahHaidabo

Elect
Reaction score
Looking to get some opinions on a good "daily driver" study Bible.  I'd like to invest in a solid, long-lasting edition.  I tend to take my Bible everywhere with me, mark it up, fill it with bookmarks and paper notes, carry it in my bag, read it in bed and fall asleep with it, etc. so durability is a must.

My preferences:

• KJV  :)
  • Calfskin or other long-durability leather.
  • Large print - 10pt or better ideally.  I've got 50-year-old eyes.
  • Handles typical Bible marking OK (e.g., Sigma Micron pens, Bible highlighters without bleed through)
  • I dislike ghosting and lightly-printed text.  I want big, bold, well contrasted text.  Bible paper never seems thick enough to me.
  • I like concordances, notes, maps, and study guides.  So much to learn!  I appreciate Bibles that have both commentary/notes with the text, and then reference materials in the back.
  • I prefer red letter, but it's not vital.
  • Bibles never seem to have enough ribbons!  (I can add more, I know)

Presently considering these three:

I've also seen the Sword Searcher and the Dake but haven't looked closely.  And of course, there are many other Bibles printed...your suggestions?

Hoffman has gone weird on the flat earth thing so be careful.  Otherwise a wonderful Bible.

Scofield and Thompson both have their strengths/weaknesses.

Dake is a great source of really good info.  Be aware he does not hold to eternal security.

As with all things of men, enjoy the meat and throw out the bones.

• ObadiahHaidabo said:

I looked at a Fifth Improved Edition of Thompson's Chain Reference Bible with a 2007 copyright in a bookstore this past week, and it still has the incorrect  name "Zithri" at Exodus 6:21 from Exodus 6:22.    It should have the name "Zichri".

This same error had been introduced in the 1769 Oxford KJV edition and remained in most Oxford and Cambridge editions of the KJV for over 100 years before it was corrected.

logos1560 said:
  • ObadiahHaidabo said:

I looked at a Fifth Improved Edition of Thompson's Chain Reference Bible with a 2007 copyright in a bookstore this past week, and it still has the incorrect  name "Zithri" at Exodus 6:21 from Exodus 6:22.    It should have the name "Zichri".

This same error had been introduced in the 1769 Oxford KJV edition and remained in most Oxford and Cambridge editions of the KJV for over 100 years before it was corrected.
  • The Cambridge 1873, is my favorite update.
    Love the paragraph edition.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk