Description?

jarhed said:
Well, let me clear the air.  Anyone at Heartland will tell you that they are a ministry of SWBC.  That is first.  Second:  There is NO LIKENESS with HAC.  The "girls" don't sing the praises of the "MAN-A-GAWD,"  there is no perversion on staff, and the teaching of preaching is centered around STUDY and EXPOSITION, rather than "now put your Bibles down and listen to me!"  Men are not lifted up...the LORD is lifted up.  The rules are not ridiculous, rather, they are practical.  I am very pleased with the growth of my daughter at Heartland, the attitude and professionalism of the staff, and the love they have for the students.

BTW:  The school up the road is basically the same cult it has always been...a crude copy of HAC, predicated on lies (JV) and mind control, ripped by sex scandals, and a destroyer of people and families.  You are right when you say that OBC and HBBC are NOTHING like each other.

This is also what I've heard.

jarhed said:
Well, let me clear the air.  Anyone at Heartland will tell you that they are a ministry of SWBC.  That is first.  Second:  There is NO LIKENESS with HAC.  The "girls" don't sing the praises of the "MAN-A-GAWD,"  there is no perversion on staff, and the teaching of preaching is centered around STUDY and EXPOSITION, rather than "now put your Bibles down and listen to me!"  Men are not lifted up...the LORD is lifted up.  The rules are not ridiculous, rather, they are practical.  I am very pleased with the growth of my daughter at Heartland, the attitude and professionalism of the staff, and the love they have for the students.

BTW:  The school up the road is basically the same cult it has always been...a crude copy of HAC, predicated on lies (JV) and mind control, ripped by sex scandals, and a destroyer of people and families.  You are right when you say that OBC and HBBC are NOTHING like each other.

Are you talking about the song leader at WHBC before Bro Van Manen

AlvinMartinezVoice said:
Heartland/Soouthwest won the war.

As a Heartland grad, it was never a "war," and it is terrible to view the HBBC-OBC relationship that way. We do things different ways, but we have a lot more in common than we do with other denominations or churches. Many Southwest and Heartland staff members and married students sent their kids to the school at Windsor, so it could hardly be considered a "war."

Oddly nothing in this thread mentions the fact that Heartland was started in part due to the closing of Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College that was in San Dimas, CA.  That school was run by Baptist Bible Fellowship.  There was "politics" involved but, as far as I know, Heartland started with no connection to the BBF.

I'm sure there is a back-story with all that which I am not privy to.

I do know one graduate who started at PCBBC and transferred to Heartland.  I'm sure there are others.

Twisted said:
Oddly nothing in this thread mentions the fact that Heartland was started in part due to the closing of Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College that was in San Dimas, CA.  That school was run by Baptist Bible Fellowship.  There was "politics" involved but, as far as I know, Heartland started with no connection to the BBF.

I do know one graduate who started at PCBBC and transferred to Heartland.  I'm sure there are others.

That's not correct. Pacific Coast officially moved and became Heartland. All the records, property, and a good number of staff and faculty came to Oklahoma City.

After the move, Heartland was officially a BBC "approved" school for a few years until at some point Heartland severed ties. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure Pacific Coast was also an "approved" school. I don't think it was run by the BBF in the same way that BBC was.

Justified said:
Twisted said:

That's not correct. Pacific Coast officially moved and became Heartland. All the records, property, and a good number of staff and faculty came to Oklahoma City.

After the move, Heartland was officially a BBC "approved" school for a few years until at some point Heartland severed ties. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure Pacific Coast was also an "approved" school. I don't think it was run by the BBF in the same way that BBC was.

Yeah.  Thanks for the clarification.  Maybe there was a "split" with the BBF by Davidson?  Too long ago and too few brain cells left now.

Justified said:
Twisted said:

Found this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartland_Baptist_Bible_College

Also the property that Heartland is on used to belong to Southwestern Christian University (who moved to Bethany). Heartland wasted no time turning the old Southwest basketball gym into an auditorium.

Well ol' Jesse Jackson (Stone) and the other OBC preacher boys used to do street preaching there on NW 10th.

Well now Tom moved the flock further North. The OBC legacy lives on forever, forever, forever..........and ever.

With WHBC and Tom moving further North, Heartland/Southwest can control most of Oklahoma City.

Well, let me clear the air. Anyone at Heartland will tell you that they are a ministry of SWBC. That is first. Second: There is NO LIKENESS with HAC. The "girls" don't sing the praises of the "MAN-A-GAWD," there is no perversion on staff, and the teaching of preaching is centered around STUDY and EXPOSITION, rather than "now put your Bibles down and listen to me!" Men are not lifted up...the LORD is lifted up. The rules are not ridiculous, rather, they are practical. I am very pleased with the growth of my daughter at Heartland, the attitude and professionalism of the staff, and the love they have for the students.

BTW: The school up the road is basically the same cult it has always been...a crude copy of HAC, predicated on lies (JV) and mind control, ripped by sex scandals, and a destroyer of people and families. You are right when you say that OBC and HBBC are NOTHING like each other.
This is my understanding also; I know some of the graduates, and have been impressed by their difference from HAC churches.

Also Caleb Garraway (OBC's greatest alum) is also admired by the current students at Heartland. Heartland plays Caleb G's world famous sermons for the students.

Students have the liberty to choose which church they want to attend.
This is only partly true. You are required to attend SWBC and be a part of its ministries for one year as of 2013. Only after attending SWBC can you get a private meeting with the pastor, and a separate meeting with the Dean of Students to consult about your reasons for attending a different likeminded church (emphasis on the likeminded part, must be a church of the same camp). I think there was a form I had to fill out to get it approved as well. Liberty is a very loosely defined word.

I may not go so far as to call HBBC the "premier Bible College in America" for preaching. I believe they have a good emphasis on biblical preaching, but that this emphasis is in contrast to their other courses and programs. If anyone I know goes to that college, I tell them that the one main thing they should get while they are there is the homiletics and practice preaching class. Almost every other class there is a take it or leave it. Foundational inconsistencies and blatantly factual errors were present in almost every other area of study when I was there. For a school that tows the "Biblical Preaching" line, they sure do have a broad brush of wackiness that they allow to come through their chapel pulpit. Every student I have known who fully adopted the principles of biblical preaching and literal hermeneutics taught there has inevitably left the circle of churches affiliated with this school (left IFB, gone to serve in other churches). By teaching these principles, the school will either need to adjust its entire program into conformance, or expect their best students to leave the circle.

-HBBC Transfer to 2021 WCBC Graduate