Did the apostles make mistakes?

Did the apostles make mistakes?

• Total voters

treasure_unseen

Elect
Reaction score
Most people study the Scripture within perceived ideals. For example, it is common for a person to read the Scriptures assuming that topic/person of conversation is acting in a inspired manner. Which isn't true. The message is inspired and true, the message isn't endorsing the actions of those involved.

Sometimes it is clear that the "topic" is making a mistake. Other times, its is not as clear.

So what is your answer?

Give examples.

I'll start with my answer. Which is..... Yes, and they knew better...... The apostles were not ignorant nor innocent in their actions. A perfect example of such is found in the narrative of Peter's hypocrisy.

Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Peter knowingly made a mistake. A mistake that is rather common in Christian circles.

Has anyone experienced the same thing that Peter did? I have. I've built relationships with people to only have them "forget who I am" .........when they realize that I've "withstood" an influential acquaintance. This should be interesting. I "wonder" how honest people will be.

First question I'm asking Paul is WHY he refused the leading of the Holy Spirit and still went to Jerusalem.

First question I'm asking Paul is WHY he refused the leading of the Holy Spirit and still went to Jerusalem.

And that might be sooner than you think. According to Sam Gipp, all the dead in Christ will resurrect 40 days prior to the rapture. I've a standing invite for Paul to have dinner with me.

Personally, I don't believe Paul made a mistake in this situation. Nor do I believe that the Spirit was telling him not to go through another prophet. It was just a revelation to those in attendance to know what he faced on his journey.

Not I don't believe Paul made mistakes. He did. He admitted to robbing other churches to do those at Corinth service. He also admitted to bending to the will of the flesh.

Personally, I don't believe Paul made a mistake in this situation.

He didn't make a "mistake", he made a choice. The scripture is clear that the Holy Spirit was not leading him to Jerusalem, but his own desire was to go.

I consider it a "mistake" (so I could include it in your thread) as it will be interesting to see (if we will ever be able to know) what God would have done with Paul had he obeyed the Spirit.

Regardless, God counted it for good (Romans 8:28) but I believe MORE good would have come.

He didn't make a "mistake", he made a choice. The scripture is clear that the Holy Spirit was not leading him to Jerusalem, but his own desire was to go.

I consider it a "mistake" (so I could include it in your thread) as it will be interesting to see (if we will ever be able to know) what God would have done with Paul had he obeyed the Spirit.

Regardless, God counted it for good (Romans 8:28) but I believe MORE good would have come.

I'm interested as to what evidence you have that the Holy Spirit didn't want him to go?