Do you remember when.....

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Recently on the FFF there have been several FBCH/HAC stories told from the past.  We all have memories (good and bad) from our years there.  I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can finish the line "Do you remember when...".  Pull up a chair and let's reminisce a bit!

......Ed Reese was preaching in HAC chapel and fell off the back of the raised area on which the pulpit sat?

Denny Kenaston claimed in a sermon he was living a sinless life.
He was gone the next day. Enter Ray Young. Now he's about gone too.

No one could can listen to just one song from the Lewis Sisters..........their music brings me to tears.....they had voices like angels.....30 years later these girls are living for the Lord!! :)

RAIDER said:
......Ed Reese was preaching in HAC chapel and fell off the back of the raised area on which the pulpit sat?

The year: 1974.  The location: Hammond Civic Center  FBC was doubling their auditorium and their Sunday services were meeting at the Civic Center.  During a sermon, Harold Sullivan (Sully) broke his chair!! He went
falling to the floor and the crowd erupted in laughter. I'll never forget it---it's been 38 years and it's still funny.

We used to sing : sha la la la la la la la la la la te da?

Anishinabe

IFB X-Files said:
you first heard the name of Jack Hyles?

I saw it on a pamphlet in John Rice's Wheaton office in the mid 50s.

tobytyler said:
RAIDER said:

The year: 1974.  The location: Hammond Civic Center  FBC was doubling their auditorium and their Sunday services were meeting at the Civic Center.  During a sermon, Harold Sullivan (Sully) broke his chair!! He went
falling to the floor and the crowd erupted in laughter. I'll never forget it---it's been 38 years and it's still funny.

Been lurking for some time, but this post made me join and comment.  I was just 7 yrs old, but one memory has stuck in my mind to this day.  The packed Civic Center, with the congregation singing "He Lives" and "Jesus Saves."  Admittedly a melodramatic memory from such a young age, but I can still picture it and hear the swell of those voices during the choruses.

Jack S was chasing Cindy around Miller Hall. My wife and I would go to the book store just so we could watch that action. I always thought what a dweeb. That is how I always remembered him.

redeemed said:
.....there was a major big day and each Bus Division had planned for all kinds of crowds to meet at parks,, etc.  Watermelons were thrown, bus kids and college students were hurt and some bus captains had the good sense to get the kids back on the bus and drive us all home.

I wonder if all those people, including the ones rioting, were counted in the church attendance that Sunday.

At least twice.

IFB X-Files said:
1986, A friend was in the school, an older married man, and invited us to his home for Thanksgiving. He took us to his church, and it was FBCH. I was overwhelmed to say the least.

IFB X-Files said:

My parents received The Sword of the Lord.  It the center of the paper there was a two page add for Hyles-Anderson College.  It had a picture of how the men and ladies dressed and looked.  I can remember my mom saying, "I would like you to go to a college like this".

redeemed said:
.....there was a major big day and each Bus Division had planned for all kinds of crowds to meet at parks,, etc.  Watermelons were thrown, bus kids and college students were hurt and some bus captains had the good sense to get the kids back on the bus and drive us all home.

I wonder if all those people, including the ones rioting, were counted in the church attendance that Sunday.

I believe that took place at Caprini Green in Chicago.  What a stupid idea!

redeemed said:
....when guys tried to imitate Bro. Hyle's cough and use of binaca and well....everything else.

I remember a student (I believe his name was Larry Weeks) that could imitate Dr. Hyles perfectly.  Dr. Hyles was suppose to preach in chapel on Wednesday.  His plane had landed a bit late.  They were holding up the start of chapel.  Larry (I'm sure on a dare) walked onto the platform, stood behind the pulpit, and started doing his Jack hyles impersonation including the cough.  The place went crazy!

It was just a couple of weeks after that event that we had a new rule in the rulebook - no impersonating of any staff or faculty members.  :)

redeemed said:

Another bus promo was to give a baby chick to bus riders--I think for Easter??  The chicks were being slammed
against the brick wall in the alley.  The Hammond Times caught wind of it and had a field day running the story.
This was a major "Promo Gone Wrong"!

This one is the ultimate Big Day gone wrong.  I believe it was '79 - '80.  The big day was a trip to an amusement park.  Talk about a bus workers nightmare!  On one of the buses was a mentally/physically challenged kid.  It was either while on a ride or on the bus at the amusement park that the kid had some physical issues and died.  I remember the wind being sucked out of the Big Day.  Ray Young ended up doing the funeral.

Bus promotion was "family picture day" the back drop was the lovely park (tongue in cheek!) on our bus route (cant think of the name of it!!) The photographers were the male bus workers!! I never saw so much greased hair!!

The bus promotion was called River Creature.  Who came up with this one I'll never know.  On Saturday's bus calling we promoted a bus trip to an area of Chicago where this River Creature was suppose to be living.  If we were lucky we would spot River Creature from the bus.

I was chosen to go to an old condemned area not far from downtown Chicago.  My job was to get the guy with me dressed up into the River Creature outfit.  We had makeup, wigs, and the whole ball of wax.  He was to hide in an alley.  I would direct the buses from Division 5 down the correct alley.  The bus would slow down and he would jump out, clime on top the bus, and do his thing.  You can only imagine the kids yelling, screaming, and crying.

We had ran 3 or 4 buses through, and we were waiting for the next bus.  All of a sudden police sirens began to go off and squad cars pulled up from every direction.  The cops made us put our hands on the car and patted us down.  I was trying to explain and they were not listening (Would YOU have believed our story?).  They loaded us in the back of the car and were going to take us to the station.  I begged them to wait a few minutes and they would see more buses coming through.  All of a sudden, here came a FBCH bus.  The cop stopped the bus and questioned the driver.  He told us to get our of the car and get out of the area.

Vintage FBCH bus promotion!

My husband was creative (I guess) as a bus captain. His promotion one time was "the bump". He would drive over a raised spot in the road (same park as the picture taken) and the kids in the back 5 seats would fly high out of their seats!! Was loved my everyone. Ray Young use to make fun of it!