Does being pre-trib / dispensational a fundamentalist make?

About your beliefs

• I was taught dispensationalism and am still a dispensationalist

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I was taught covenant theology and am still a covenant theologian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was a dispy and became covenant

• I was covenant and became dispy

• I am not sure I really fit into those categories (obscurants only) LOL!!!!

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
I wonder how many people equate dispensationalism with fundamentalism. I completely understand why they would, so I am starting this thread with that purpose.

I do not equate fundamentalism with dispensationalism. One can be a fundamentalist and not dispensational. One can be dispensational and not a fundamentalist.

Typically, fundamental Bible colleges are dispensational. Although, the college I went to, never even taught dispensationalism, it was the assumed theology among the students and faculty.

In the 1950s, a group of fundamentalists separated over eschatology and attempted to make dispensationalism a distinctive of fundamentalism. It just further splintered fundamentalists.

Attending this thread is a poll.

I don't feel like they are synonymous terms although my impression is that fundamentalists are most frequently dispensationalists.

rsc2a said:
I don't feel like they are synonymous terms although my impression is that fundamentalists are most frequently dispensationalists.

^This.  And they're mostly pre-trib, as far as I can tell. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:

^This.  And they're mostly pre-trib, as far as I can tell.
kinda par for the dispy course, is pre-trib mythology, no?

Anishinaabe

FSSL said:
I wonder how many people equate dispensationalism with fundamentalism.

They're not identical (the tractarians who wrote The Fundamentals were not all Dispensationalists); however, the main reason for its influence is that Fundamentalists promoted Dispensationalism around the turn of the 20th century through their colleges and Bible conferences.

So even if they aren't congruent, they're very closely linked.

I was brought up in new-evangelicalism and that's mainly {used to be anyways} pre & dispensational. Fundamentalist weren't the first.

Bob H said:
I was brought up in new-evangelicalism and that's mainly {used to be anyways} pre & dispensational. Fundamentalist weren't the first.
Correct.  Darby was the first dispensationalist to be pre-trib...cuz he made up the pre-trib cRapture in the 1830's

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
Correct.  Darby was the first dispensationalist to be pre-trib...

Anishinaabe

Not so fast. Some say Edward Irving was the man

prophet said:
...cuz he made up the pre-trib cRapture in the 1830's

Anishinaabe

Naw, it was the Apostle Paul who first taught it

Bob H said:

Hey Bob H... are you interested in the formal debate with Rogue?

FSSL said:
Bob H said:

Hey Bob H... are you interested in the formal debate with Rogue?

Papa is baby sitting right now. My 6 month grandson needs my attention. I'll have to think about it. With my work schedule and kido watching I'm fairly busy. I'm thinking about retiring and living the Life of Riley but my preacher said Riley died.  :) What a decision.

Bob H said:
prophet said:
Correct.  Darby was the first dispensationalist to be pre-trib...

Anishinaabe

Not so fast. Some say Edward Irving was the man

prophet said:
...cuz he made up the pre-trib cRapture in the 1830's

Anishinaabe

You mean this Apostle Paul?
"Let no man deceive you by any means: For that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;..."

Unless "falling away" means "resurrected", rather than "apostate", now.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
Bob H said:
"Let no man deceive you by any means: For that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;..."

Anishinaabe

"that day" = what?

Bob H said:
prophet said:
Bob H said:

Anishinaabe

"that day" = what?
The day he described in the first letter, that had everyone worried at the beginning of chapter2, of course.  And don't quote Scholfield notes, or any mv, to "illuminate", please.  Just one version at a time, right now we're in the KJB, for the sake of clarity.
'That day' refers back to 'our gathering together unto Him'.

Anishinabe

Will I was taught as a pre-trib, but the more I learn of it the more I became a Covenant believer.  I just don't see the antichrist in Daniel 9:27, but I see the Covenant that Christ made with His own Blood and during the last half week, this message was solely given to the Jews.  But we see it became a message for us Gentiles after the 70 weeks were fulfilled.  For the Jews speaking of Cornelius said: When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.  Acts 11:18

But I would like to think of myself as a fundamentalist but because i'm not pre-trib, just don't.

I am pretrib and was before I ever read Scofield's notes.  I have read some of Darby's work and don't really find any major issues.  I don't have a problem with most dispensationalists.

19DuggarFan said:
Will I was taught as a pre-trib, but the more I learn of it the more I became a Covenant believer.  I just don't see the antichrist in Daniel 9:27, but I see the Covenant that Christ made with His own Blood and during the last half week, this message was solely given to the Jews.  But we see it became a message for us Gentiles after the 70 weeks were fulfilled.  For the Jews speaking of Cornelius said: When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.  Acts 11:18

But I would like to think of myself as a fundamentalist but because i'm not pre-trib, just don't.

^^^ this