don;t blame the skeleton......

christundivided said:
samspade said:
patriotic said:
What you've said above is good, aleshanee.  I have been speaking with a young lady who was concerned about her past and really concerned about perhaps having missed God's perfect will.  She asked me how does one know if they have missed it and are just settling for God's good or acceptable will. 

I pointed out that good is mentioned before either acceptable or perfect in Rom. 12.  Certainly, some sins may disqualify some from particular ministry service, but God will still use the one who is willing to be used in the area he can be used.  No, an adulterous man may never pastor again even if "restored", but he can still do many other things for the Lord.

When God "shoots a broken, restored, but not perfect" arrow, it can still hit its mark and is doing God's perfect will for its life right then. 

None of us have ever been "perfect" anyway. 

Just what I believe.  I'm sure there will be some who will pointedly disagree.

I have to say that this post bothers me. I grew up with the teaching that you could miss God's "perfect" will for your life and have come to realize that that is an erroneous concept. God's perfect will for all of us is that we be conformed to the image of Christ. He uses every circumstance in a believer's life (Romans 8:28) to accomplish that. To frame it otherwise is to saddle people with guilt and questions for something over which they have no control and no way of knowing anyway.

As a very wise Bible teacher once told me; "if you want to know God's will for your life, look at your life. That is what God is using to transform you." Otherwise you'll end up beating yourself up over the past for no good reason.

That is about the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life.

It totally ignores the FACT that mankind and yes.... Christians... constantly resist the will of God and that the Devil can lead people in the wrong paths (Acts 7:51, Romans 13:2, James 4:7 and 1 Peter 5:9.)

You're "wise" Bible teacher is obviously nothing more than a child with the horrible attitude of "every thing I do is ultimately the will of God".

Yes, there is no reason to beating yourself up over the past. You can't change it, YET, this is not a reason to believe that everything that happens at our choosing is God's perfect will.

Luk 13:34  O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!

Eph 6:18  praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

All things work together but not all things are good. Not all things edify. Not all things are to chosen or even to be entertained in our imaginations. Prayer and fasting must mean nothing to you. Service to you must be God dragging you kicking and screaming across the finish line right before you collapse and fall into the loving arms of death.

The vast majority of my suffering and pain has been caused by only foolish actions. Only God can turn bad into to good in our lives. Yet, we can certainly avoid many hurtful things that have long lasting effects on ourselves and the people we love.

I don't think I said anything that disagrees with what you've stated here. We make foolish choices, sinful choices, stupid choices. Those choices cost us dearly. However, God can redeem anything we do and use it for good. That is the point I was trying to make.

Yes, we can avoid (and should) many things. But God's will happens in spite of my choices, not because of. God's will for me is that I be conformed to the image of Christ. He uses my bad choices to accomplish that as well as my good choices. I can't change the past, but I can allow God to use it to change me.

If, as an example, I marry someone that turns out to be a bad choice, do I sit around and say that for the rest of my life I am cursed, or do I allow that circumstance (which was of my own making) to humble me before God and let me turn to Him as my source of peace and comfort?

It's not a matter of "everything is okay because it's God's will." It's a matter of everything can (and should) lead me to a place of humility before God. And that's true for both the good and bad in my life.