Down the Rabbit Hole

Spanky2026

Elect
Reaction score
I've heard of the fff for years but today I finally created an account & became a user.

My reading the posts about Hyles-Duckles Camp & Bill Rice Ranch were what spurred me to create the account.

Many of the stories I've heard in the 30+ years since I left the Region & the "church" at 523 Sibley have turned out to be true.

I was there for a little more than a dozen years but those included some of the DH years.

I am the child of early college students whose family became faculty members in the HB system.

I bring a unique perspective, I believe, because I spent my first two or three years attending "B" Sunday School & riding with my father on his bus route. I went along with him on all day on Saturdays & Sundays, visiting some of the rougher neighborhoods in Chicago. Latin King graffiti was normal for me to see through the windows of the bus. Once it was discovered by the "B" Sunday School department that I was the child of a college student & attended HBGS, I was quickly hustled into "A" Sunday School & my mother no longer worked the "B" bus route.

Not long after that "transfer" my father was moved to the "A" bus ministry.

I have friends who left in the late 80s & friends & family who are still FBC-H members.

I've taken my now former spouse & in-laws to services where basic observations about segregation & separation were made that gave me pause.

I look forward to learning more about the group & how others have grown either because of or in spite of, that entire ministry.

Welcome, should be great fun.

I'm sure you now realize more fully that much of what you thought you were seeing was not what it seemed to be.

Spanky2026 said:
I've heard of the fff for years but today I finally created an account & became a user.

My reading the posts about Hyles-Duckles Camp & Bill Rice Ranch were what spurred me to create the account.

Many of the stories I've heard in the 30+ years since I left the Region & the "church" at 523 Sibley have turned out to be true.

I was there for a little more than a dozen years but those included some of the DH years.

I am the child of early college students whose family became faculty members in the HB system.

I bring a unique perspective, I believe, because I spent my first two or three years attending "B" Sunday School & riding with my father on his bus route. I went along with him on all day on Saturdays & Sundays, visiting some of the rougher neighborhoods in Chicago. Latin King graffiti was normal for me to see through the windows of the bus. Once it was discovered by the "B" Sunday School department that I was the child of a college student & attended HBGS, I was quickly hustled into "A" Sunday School & my mother no longer worked the "B" bus route.

I have friends who left in the late 80s & friends & family who are still FBC-H members.

I've taken my now former spouse & in-laws to services where basic observations about segregation & separation were made that gave me pause.

I look forward to learning more about the group & how others have grown either because of or in spite of, that entire ministry.

Welcome!

Your background sounds so much like mine, we probably know each other.

My parents started at HAC in 1973, my dad as a student (later worked on staff) and my mom on HAC faculty. I too left in the 80s upon my HAC graduation and my parents finally left in the early 90s. I was in the youth group, first couple years overseen by Dave. (Remember the "hot seat"?)

The camp stories are atrocious for sure.

Glad to have you aboard!

Smellin Coffee said:
Spanky2026 said:

Welcome!

Your background sounds so much like mine, we probably know each other.

My parents started at HAC in 1973, my dad as a student (later worked on staff) and my mom on HAC faculty. I too left in the 80s upon my HAC graduation and my parents finally left in the early 90s. I was in the youth group, first couple years overseen by Dave. (Remember the "hot seat"?)

The camp stories are atrocious for sure.

Glad to have you aboard!

Oh, I'm sure we do know OF each other if we don't outright know each other. Thinking about it, we are probably separated by a year, maybe two graduating classes at HBHS. I went to BRR twice. I'm not sure if I went after graduation or not.

Yeah, I got to experience the hot seat a couple times.

I think we have a different recall of the Vicks Vapo-Rub event at Hyles Duckles.

I was also not aware that the BRR counselor from Puerto Rico was also a HAC student. I was in a lower bunk next to E L (on an upper bunk) when the "little red balls" comment was made. I tell that story with a twinkle in my eye. I got busted a night or two earlier after buying whistle pops @ the BRR canteen. I recall lemonheads being used as noise makers on another night.

Before H-D camp was sold, or however it was disposed,  there was a WINTER trip between Christmas & New Year's as a youth activity, very early in the 80s.

I don't recall if the was running water in both dorm buildings or just the one over the kitchen/cafeteria. I KNOW that was the only building with HOT water.

Another guy & I got tossed in the "lake" one night. He was 1 vs 4 & got tossed in from the shore. I was 1 vs 1 but it was with the #1 RB & wrestler who was 2 years ahead of me. I made sure he had to wade into the "lake" before he managed to throw me in!

Spanky2026 said:
Oh, I'm sure we do know OF each other if we don't outright know each other. Thinking about it, we are probably separated by a year, maybe two graduating classes at HBHS. I went to BRR twice. I'm not sure if I went after graduation or not.

Yeah, I got to experience the hot seat a couple times.

I think we have a different recall of the Vicks Vapo-Rub event at Hyles Duckles.

I was also not aware that the BRR counselor from Puerto Rico was also a HAC student. I was in a lower bunk next to E L (on an upper bunk) when the "little red balls" comment was made. I tell that story with a twinkle in my eye. I got busted a night or two earlier after buying whistle pops @ the BRR canteen. I recall lemonheads being used as noise makers on another night.

Before H-D camp was sold, or however it was disposed,  there was a WINTER trip between Christmas & New Year's as a youth activity, very early in the 80s.

I don't recall if the was running water in both dorm buildings or just the one over the kitchen/cafeteria. I KNOW that was the only building with HOT water.

Another guy & I got tossed in the "lake" one night. He was 1 vs 4 & got tossed in from the shore. I was 1 vs 1 but it was with the #1 RB & wrestler who was 2 years ahead of me. I made sure he had to wade into the "lake" before he managed to throw me in!

The BRR counselor was named Oscar, I believe. I don't remember his last name. I remember the 'red balls' incident. That was the talk of the camp! I think that was the year one guy got caught trying to let a duck loose in the dorm at night and someone else saran wrapped the toilet seat on chaperone LC.

We must have graduated about the same time. :)