Earth Day: Should Christians be aware?

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Here is my perspective: My family saves sea turtles. We work with biologists in reestablishing the Alabama dune mouse. We replant and create environments for plants that are endangered. Right now, my wife and youngest daughter is with a school group of over 100 kids, doing a dune protection/restoration class.

Here is why I put the above in... because we are surrounded and mingle with extreme environmentalist wackos! Some of these people are off their rocker and the most virulent and nasty people you will meet. So why do we do what we do?

Earth Day was the brain-child of a Wisconsin Democrat Senator. He, along with a very conservative Republican established Earth Day as a day to emphasize our need to take care of the earth. It is not just an environmentalist wacko celebration.

It is our dominion mandate to: "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground..... [take care of] every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground?everything that has the breath of life in it?I give every green plant for food.?

We are supposed to take care of the earth so that we can consume it!

That is the Christian perspective.

FSSL said:
Here is my perspective: My family saves sea turtles. We work with biologists in reestablishing the Alabama dune mouse. We replant and create environments for plants that are endangered. Right now, my wife and youngest daughter is with a school group of over 100 kids, doing a dune protection/restoration class.

Here is why I put the above in... because we are surrounded and mingle with extreme environmentalist wackos! Some of these people are off their rocker and the most virulent and nasty people you will meet. So why do we do what we do?

Earth Day was the brain-child of a Wisconsin Democrat Senator. He, along with a very conservative Republican established Earth Day as a day to emphasize our need to take care of the earth. It is not just an environmentalist wacko celebration.

It is our dominion mandate to: "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground..... [take care of] every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground?everything that has the breath of life in it?I give every green plant for food.?

We are supposed to take care of the earth so that we can consume it!

That is the Christian perspective.

Yes there are extremists and yes, we Christians should be aware. But I would add a point: We shouldn't cannibalize the earth without replacing where we can for the health and well being (consumption) of future generations. Kinda like being a millionaire and spending every dime before one dies on all the pleasures of earth while leaving nothing to the rest of the family once gone.

Smellin Coffee said:
We shouldn't cannibalize the earth without replacing where we can for the health and well being (consumption) of future generations.

Absolutely! The problem with the extremists is that they do not think in terms of our right to "consume." They leave that part out of their paradigm.

For example, sea turtles. They were harvested well beyond a reasonable amount. Therefore, we needed to develop a way to make sure we had sea turtles in the future. It takes 1,000 hatchlings so that 1 sea turtle will survive to adult hood. After 20 years of sea turtle protections, they are now back to a near healthy population (but the government will not tell you that) ;)

In the northern part of the Gulf, government has put a restriction on harvesting Red Snapper. They have overdone it. It is a $2,000 fine to keep one. You have to catch and release (except for 6 days of the year). There is a tremendous over abundance of the Red Snapper, yet the government is preventing a reasonable consumption.

FSSL said:
Smellin Coffee said:
We shouldn't cannibalize the earth without replacing where we can for the health and well being (consumption) of future generations.

Absolutely! The problem with the extremists is that they do not think in terms of our right to "consume." They leave that part out of their paradigm.

For example, sea turtles. They were harvested well beyond a reasonable amount. Therefore, we needed to develop a way to make sure we had sea turtles in the future. It takes 1,000 hatchlings so that 1 sea turtle will survive to adult hood. After 20 years of sea turtle protections, they are now back to a near healthy population (but the government will not tell you that) ;)

In the northern part of the Gulf, government has put a restriction on harvesting Red Snapper. They have overdone it. It is a $2,000 fine to keep one. You have to catch and release (except for 6 days of the year). There is a tremendous over abundance of the Red Snapper, yet the government is preventing a reasonable consumption.

There are extremists of all stripes and more likely, the reason the gub'ment keeps the prevention law is because someone with some power is getting his pockets lined.  :)

My annual post about E.D.:
First global cooling was going to destroy the earth.
Then, global warming was going to destroy the earth.
Now, Climate Change is destroying the earth.

In honor of Earth Day, I'm making a small donation to help cure Schizophrenia.

If it's all the same to you guys, I think I'll skip Hijab Day. I'm not really into Islam. and I wouldn't imagine my IFB adelphoi are either. Or maybe I'll wear a raspberry beret while driving a red Corvette in the purple rain, in honor of Prince.