Eve did not sin when she ate the fruit

cubanito

Elect
Reaction score
Eve did not technically sin, but like with everything female, it's complicated. Eve did not directly sin, as Paul describes it, she "fell into sin." 1Tim 2: 14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.(NASB)

Read Genesis and you will find the only commands to Eve were jointly issued with Adam was to be fruitful, multiply, and subdue the Earth. Nowhere recorded is God commanding Eve about what not to eat. Did God tell her, did she hear it from Adam? Who added the do not touch, Eve or Adam? We do not know for certain BUT it is clear that it was ADAM, not Eve, that directly rebelled. It was because of Adam, not Eve, that the ground was cursed and sin entered the world.

Also notice that God did NOT directly curse either Adam or Eve. Sure, their lives were made much worse, but they themselves were not cursed. This is pararell to how when Ham saw Noah naked, Ham was not cursed, but rather Ham's 4th son Caanan. God does not curse the redeemed, He curses Christ and everything around the redeemed; but for us "there is now NO condemnation."

Eve was deceived. She certainly did something wrong, but it was not a direct breaking of God's explicit command because God had not commanded her about the tree that we know of. She fell into sin in the same manner ALL creation fell into sin, because she was under Adam. thus ALL of Adam's seed, and all that was under the command of Adam was subject to this disaster.

Yet because Eve herself did not directly sin, her seed could theoretically be free of original sin. If it were possible for a woman to conceive a son without the aid of a descendant of Adam, well this second Adam would retain the "possible non peccare" and could theoretically be the spotless sacrifice that God demanded to atone for the sins of all the first Adam's race.

Of course, such a thing, a seed of a woman, is impossible; thus the serpent's head would never be crushed. I mean, really, who ever heard of a virgin birth? I just love Christianity. It is so into details. So the second Adam was born from an Adamic descendant but not of Adam.

All the religions of the world with a sense of sin,  place sin at the foot of the woman save Christianity. Eve did NOT sin, she fell along with all creation, because of Adam. Thus it was from Eve's seed that the second Adam came to reverse that fall.

Now, I would not say Eve had no fault. Like with everything female, it gets very complicated, and I a mere male can't tease out just how guilty she was. All I know is she did NOT directly violate the command of God. Her husband, who was probably standing silently alongside as the conversation between her and the serpent unfolded, he sinned.

JR

cubanito said:
Eve did not directly sin, as Paul describes it, she "fell into sin."

A distinction without a difference.  They both sinned. 

2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’”

She knew the command.  Just like we know commands second-hand, unless God has given you commands personally. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
cubanito said:

2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’”

She knew the command.  Just like we know commands second-hand, unless God has given you commands personally.

You beat me to it.  Those pesky Scriptures always seem to get in the way of inane presuppositions! :)

We just aren't nearly genius enough to see how wrong we are.

The Rogue Tomato said:
cubanito said:

Eve probably received the information second hand, but she knew better.

Paul does make the argument that Adam willfully sinned whereas Eve was deceived. In other words, Adam sinned to avoid being seperated from his wife.

praise_yeshua said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
cubanito said:

Paul does make the argument that Adam willfully sinned whereas Eve was deceived. In other words, Adam sinned to avoid being seperated from his wife.

To put it another way, Eve was tempted to sin.  And she gave in to the temptation. 

By the way, "Koala, only other animal with fingerprints."  I didn't know that.  Well, I guess Koalas better wear gloves if they want to commit a crime.

Also, unless Koalas and humans have a common ancestor, Darwin said this sort of thing would disprove evolution.  The likelihood of two separate branches evolving the same feature (such as fingerprints) is so remote that it would disprove his hypothesis.  And that's according to Darwin, himself.  (There are plenty of other examples, such as luminescence in insects and fish.)

Good thing I don't buy into the farce that is evolution. 

EDIT: Gorillas have fingerprints, too.  An evolutionist could argue that the gorillas and humans have a common ancestor, but it would be much harder to argue that Koalas and humans have a common ancestor, especially since relatives to the Koala do not have fingerprints. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
praise_yeshua said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
cubanito said:

To put it another way, Eve was tempted to sin.  And she gave in to the temptation.

Sure!!

cubanito said:
Eve was deceived. She certainly did something wrong, but it was not a direct breaking of God's explicit command because God had not commanded her about the tree that we know of.

Genesis 3:3.

Ransom said:
cubanito said:
Eve was deceived. She certainly did something wrong, but it was not a direct breaking of God's explicit command because God had not commanded her about the tree that we know of.

Genesis 3:3.
Exactly.  The Creator was explicitly clear, in adding the verbiage of the exchange with the serpent, that Eve full well knew the commandment, and was tricked into breaking it.
In essence, she knowingly disobeyed.

Did she know it was wrong to do so?

Evidently not.

Did Adam?

Yes.

But the fact remains that Eve recited the command that she was about to violate.

Ransom said:
prophet said:
Did she know it was wrong to do so?

Evidently not.

Evidently? I wonder what part of "ye shall not eat" she didn't get?
What I meant was, she may not have known that it was wrong to desire to be like God, knowing good and evil...

They get some slack it seems because they are the weaker vessel

It's all good