Facts from a Bible on the KJV-only pure stream of Bibles

logos1560

Elect
Reaction score
One of the leading arguments for a KJV-only view in several books by KJV-only authors is a two-streams-of-Bibles argument. One stream is identified as the pure stream of Bibles by KJV-only authors and the other stream is claimed to be a corrupt stream of Bibles.

One of the Bibles placed on the KJV-only view's pure stream of Bibles is the 1535 Coverdale's Bible.  The 1535 Coverdale's Bible is one of the pre-1611 English Bibles of which the KJV is a revision.

Peter Ruckman listed the 1535 Coverdale's Bible on his good tree of Bibles. D. A. Waite wrote: ?The Coverdale Bible (1535) used the Received Text? (Defending the KJB, p. 48). In another book, D. A. Waite listed Coverdale's as being based on ?the Traditional Text/Textus Receptus? (Foes, p. 38; see also Central Seminary Refuted, p. 110). Thomas Holland indicated that Coverdale's was ?based on the Traditional Text? (Crowned with Glory, p. 77). Bob Steward maintained that Coverdale?s Bible ?is the product of the Received Text? (God?s Invisible Hand, p. 11). Dick Cimino suggested that the 1535 Coverdale's came ?from the same type Greek Text? as the KJV (The Book, p. 14). David Daniels identified Coverdale's Bible as an Antiochian Bible (Answers, p. 18). James C. Kahler included Coverdale's Bible in his circle of Bibles that ?came directly from the Traditional Text line and were good Bibles? (Charted History, p. 25).

Gail Riplinger suggested that Coverdale ?compared pure Holy Bibles in various languages? (In Awe, p. 37). Gail Riplinger asserted that Coverdale ?was intimately involved in the process of the Bible?s being ?given? (2 Tim. 3:16) and ?purified? (Ps. 12:6, 7) in English? (Hazardous Materials, p. 1165). Riplinger maintained that ?God entrusted Wycliffe and Coverdale with the transmission of the text? (p. 1167).

Here are some facts from the 1535 Coverdale's Bible on the KJV-only pure stream of Bibles which KJV-only authors seem to keep hidden or which they avoid or dodge. Some of the spelling in the 1535 Coverdale's Bible is updated to be more like that in present KJV editions.

Leviticus 26:31 in the 1535 Coverdale's Bible
And your cities will I make waste, and bring your churches to naught, and will not smell your sweet odours.

Job 7:12
Am I a see or a whalefish, that thou keepest me so in prison?

Isaiah 12:2a
Behold, God is my health

Ezekiel 45:21
Upon the xiiii day of the first month ye shall keep Easter. Seven days hall the feast continue, wherein there shall no sower nor leavened bread be eat

Daniel 3:25c
and the fourth is like an angel to look upon

Hosea 8:14a
they have forgotten him that made them, they build churches, and Juda maketh many strong cities

Amos 7:9a
but the high hillchapels of Isaac must be laid waste, and the churches of Israel made desolate

Matthew 1:23a
Behold, a maid shall be with child

Matthew 3:8
Beware, bring forth due fruits of penance

Matthew 8:6a
saying, Sir, my servant lyeth sick at home of the palsy

Matthew 12:41b
for they did penance according to the preaching of Jonas

Mark 15:6
At that feast of Easter he was wont to deliver unto them a prisoner, whom so ever they would desire

Luke 2:22a
And when the days of their purification after the law of Moses, were come

Luke 2:33
And his father and mother marveled at the things that were spoke of him

Luke 2:41
And his elders went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of Easter

Luke 10:13c
they had done penance long ago, sitting in sack cloth and in ashes

Luke 11:32b
for they did penance after the preaching of Jonas

Luke 15:7a
I say unto you: Even so shall there be joy in heaven over one sinner that doth penance

Luke 22:1
The feast of sweet bread (which is called Easter) drew nigh

John 3:16a
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son

John 14:2
In my fathers house are many dwellings

Acts 3:19a
Do penance now therefore and turn you

Acts 26:20b
that they should do penance, and turn unto God, and to do the right works of penance

Romans 8:5b
but they that are ghostly, are ghostly minded

1 Corinthians 16:8
But I will tarry at Ephesus until Whitsuntide

Revelation 1:10a
I was in the spirit on a Sunday

Do KJV-only advocates apply the same measures or standards justly to the 1535 Coverdale's Bible that they would attempt to apply inconsistently and unjustly to the NKJV?

Coverdale would make a Roman Catholic feel right at home.

Matthew 6:7
And when ye pray, babble not much (1535 Coverdale's)
And when ye pray, use not vain repetitions (1611 KJV)

Matthew 16:18
upon this rock will I build my congregation (1535 Coverdale's)
upon this rock I will build my church (1611 KJV)

Matthew 18:17
tell it unto the congregation (1535 Coverdale's)
tell it unto the church (1611 KJV)

Matthew 19:9
breaketh wedlock (1535 Coverdale's)
committeth adultery (1611 KJV)

Matthew 27:5
and gat him away (1535 Coverdale's)
and departed (1611 KJV)

Mark 1:41
And it pitied Jesus (1535 Coverdale's)
And Jesus, moved with compassion (1611 KJV)

Acts 2:47
added to the congregation (1535 Coverdale's)
added to the church (1611 KJV)

Acts 3:2
And there was a certain man halt (1535 Coverdale's)
And a certain man lame (1611 KJV)

Acts 5:11
over the whole congregation (1535 Coverdale's)
upon all the church (1611 KJV)

Acts 6:1
there arose a grudge among the Greeks (1535 Coverdale's)
there arose a murmuring of the Grecians (1611 KJV)

Acts 7:20
was a proper child before God (1535 Coverdale's)
was exceeding fair (1611 KJV)

Acts 8:3
over the congregation at Jerusalem (1535 Coverdale's)
against the church which was at Jerusalem (1611 KJV)

Acts 20:28
hath set you to be bishops, to feed the congregation of God (1535 Coverdale's)
hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God (1611 KJV)