FFF Member Tom Brennan's Book - The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached

Wisdoms Friend

Elect
Reaction score
I just finished reading Tom Brennan's book, The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached, and I was fed and challenged by it.  In my library, I have several works on the Sermon on the Mount, and quite frankly, I have not been too impressed with most of them, primarily because most authors take one of two views on the Sermon on the Mount... The Political Kingdom View, which views the teaching only from the perspective that Jesus was trying to establish a kingdom that would overthrow Rome if only the hearers would follow;  or, the Future Kingdom View, which relegates the Sermon as "The Constitution of the Coming Kingdom" which has little application for today.

Bro. Brennan does an excellent job presenting this sermon as applicable for daily living for 21st century followers of Jesus Christ.  The beatitudes and Jesus' teaching on the Law drive home the point that it is the heart that is at issue, not outward piety, and that when the heart is following the law of God, the outward life will reflect the inward change.  He does not shy away from sensitive topics like divorce (because Jesus was not afraid to address it); or the Christian and persecution -- do we submit or fight.

"Our inner motivation is as important to God as our outward actions" - p.150

I really appreciated the chapters on prayer, seeking the Kingdom of God and on Judging others.

It is my understanding this is his first book, so I was quite please at how readable it was.  I can say that the deeper I got into the book, the stronger his writing became.  I look forward to seeing additional books from him.

Good job, Tom Brennan!

[quote author=Wisdoms Friend]...most authors take one of two views on the Sermon on the Mount... The Political Kingdom View, which views the teaching only from the perspective that Jesus was trying to establish a kingdom that would overthrow Rome if only the hearers would follow;  or, the Future Kingdom View, which relegates the Sermon as "The Constitution of the Coming Kingdom" which has little application for today...[/quote]

My suggestion is that you read different authors. :)

Glad to hear it recommended; I'm going through it slowly (very slowly).

I don't get the ad.

WHICH ONE IS IT?
DOES IT MATTER TO YOU?

Is that supposed to be a selling point? Whether or not I care that the Sermon on the Mount is the greatest sermon ever? Why is it being sold on my merits rather than its own?