From fake college to real college

PastorRyan

Elect
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to continue their education from an unaccredited IFB college to an accredited college? I would like to do it and pursue my M Div. Finding it to be difficult though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"fake college to real college" lol... all bible colleges/seminaries are fake buddy - regardless of accreditation.

but in all seriousness, yes you can go from an unaccredited IFB to an accredited college. Most seminaries are case-by-case and they would put you on a probationary level during your first year where you HAVE to maintain a certain GPA. It depends on your college too. Here is a breakdown from what I've seen happen, obviously it isn't accurate - it is simply judging from my friends:

PCC -
accredited now, SBC seminaries (the big 6) will accept. most seminaries will accept including big names such as Talbot, Southern, Trinity. Majority of medical universities will accept Nursing program at PCC which is actually pretty good IMO.

WCBC -
seeking accreditation, all SBC seminaries besides Southern will accept. Dallas, Trinity, Liberty are case-by-case. Talbot will accept if undergrad Bible classes taken. Fuller will not accept.

Hyles Anderson -
no accredit. smaller Baptist seminaries will accept including Maranatha, Baptist Bible, Piedmont, etc. SBC seminaries are case-by-case. Talbot, Fuller, Liberty, will not accept pretty much in all conditions.

Ambassador -
good luck, your screwed. just kidding. Maranatha, Baptist Bible will accept.

all other smaller colleges -
most likely Maranatha will accept. Keep in mind Maranatha is regional which is actually good/better than PCC or WCBC's TRACS.

by the way - while it is difficult it isn't impossible.

Cathy McMorris Rogers is from PCC when it wasn't accredited and look how far she went.

PCC is now ABET for its engineering degrees. As well is BJU.

Before PCC was ABET most colleges accepted its engineering graduates like Clemson and PSU are among some of the universities that did.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Theology degree from Andersonville Theological Seminary. Of the schools I contacted, these are the answers I got regarding whether they would accept the degree or not.
Liberty. Used to but doesn't anymore
Southwestern. Yes
Luther Rice Yes (Didn't ask them but word of mouth is they do.)
Southeastern Seminary. No
NOBTS Yes if you get a high enough GRE score.
Midwestern Seminary No
Moody Would have to have an exception granted by some board.
Gateway. Yes into diploma program, if you get high enough grades will be accepted into MDiv.

labaptist said:
I graduated with a Bachelor of Theology degree from Andersonville Theological Seminary. Of the schools I contacted, these are the answers I got regarding whether they would accept the degree or not.
Liberty. Used to but doesn't anymore
Southwestern. Yes
Luther Rice Yes (Didn't ask them but word of mouth is they do.)
Southeastern Seminary. No
NOBTS Yes if you get a high enough GRE score.
Midwestern Seminary No
Moody Would have to have an exception granted by some board.
Gateway. Yes into diploma program, if you get high enough grades will be accepted into MDiv.

Southern Seminary just said yes they will accept credits under probationary period. I was surprised at this answer. Andersonville is a pretty well known bible college and most will usually accept credits from it more than the other IFB colleges. From those seminaries listed, Southwestern will probably be your best school to get into. Luther Rice is good school too.  NOBTS is more accepting because of recent drop in enrollment (natural disasters in that region over the past 10 years). Midwestern and Southeastern I'm not surprised, they tend to be more on the reformed/calvinism side. I would not recommend Gateway right now, they are going through too many transitions and it looked like it tanked the enrollment from their Northern California move.  I wouldn't recommend Liberty either, it's a joke of a school in my opinion.

I didn't even bother to ask Southern since I am not reformed. SWBTS would be top on my list except like all the SBC school they charges an outragous internet student fee (Something like $270 a class on top of regular tuition.) Another school the original poster might want to try is Mid America outside of Memphis. I didn't ask them if they'd accept an unaccredited degree since I'm divorced and they have a very strict divorce policy.

labaptist said:
I didn't even bother to ask Southern since I am not reformed. SWBTS would be top on my list except like all the SBC school they charges an outragous internet student fee (Something like $270 a class on top of regular tuition.) Another school the original poster might want to try is Mid America outside of Memphis. I didn't ask them if they'd accept an unaccredited degree since I'm divorced and they have a very strict divorce policy.

Sorry bud but you're going to have a hard time finding a seminary within the Baptist circle if you are divorced. Just being real with you. Take a look at Gordon-Conwell or Southern California Seminary.

Mid America was the only one I found that had this policy. The SBC ones want an explanation of the reasons behind the divorce and I've heard Mohler and Patterson say they wouldn't recommend a divorced man to pastor, but they don't have the blanket policy Mid America has. Luther Rice encloses a recommendation of them from Charles Stanley who has been divorced, so I don't think they'd have a problem with it either.