Fundamental Baptist Biographies

TheOldJudge

Elect
Reaction score
Hello.

I am new to the Fighting Fundamental Forums, and I am very excited to be here.

For several months now, I have followed the activity on this forum. My observations are that there are numerous Fundamental Baptists (or former ones) who are active members. That is the main reason why I joined. I need help in researching my history of Baptistic Fundamentalism.

Years ago, I purchased a biography of Lee Roberson. The book was such a blessing that I began to pick up more Fundamental Baptist biographies whenever I had the chance. Recently, I have begun to acquire them in earnest, but I fear that I am reaching the end of my list. Does anybody on this forum know of any obscure (rare, out-of-print, expensive, etc.) biographies about individuals within the Fundamental Baptist movement?

Here are the ones that I currently have:

Russell Anderson
Rod Bell, Sr.
Dallas Billington
B. Myron Cedarholm
R. V. Clearwaters
Fred S. Donnelson
W. E. Dowell
Jacob Gartenhaus
Mordecai Ham
Arlin Horton
R. L. Hymers
Jack Hyles
Bob Jones, Sr.
E. Robert Jordan
Robert T. Ketcham
Tom Malone
J. Frank Norris
Monroe Parker
Ford Porter
Hugh F. Pyle
John Rawlings
John R. Rice
W. B. Riley
Lee Roberson
T. T. Shields
Don Sisk
Charles H. Stevens
G. B. Vick

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

That is a remarkable collection. I wish I could help you add to it. I assume that you already have "God's Rascal" and "Shooting Salvationist" about J. Frank Norris, also "Sword of the Lord" about John R. Rice, also "History of Fundamentalism in America" and "Fight For Fundamentalism" by George Dollar. "Portrait of Obedience" about Robert Ketcham was a good book. If you want to go back to the 19th Century, there is a book called "J.R. Graves - Life, Times and Teachings" by O.L. Hailey, published 1929, apparently by State Association of Missionary Baptist Churches of Arkansas.

That is a remarkable collection. I wish I could help you add to it. I assume that you already have "God's Rascal" and "Shooting Salvationist" about J. Frank Norris, also "Sword of the Lord" about John R. Rice, also "History of Fundamentalism in America" and "Fight For Fundamentalism" by George Dollar. "Portrait of Obedience" about Robert Ketcham was a good book. If you want to go back to the 19th Century, there is a book called "J.R. Graves - Life, Times and Teachings" by O.L. Hailey, published 1929, apparently by State Association of Missionary Baptist Churches of Arkansas.
Thank you, Sir! I have added the J. R. Graves title to my list.

Unfortunately, Fundamentalism has done an horrific job of preserving its history. So many in Southern Fundamentalism ("the IFB") send their prominent people down the "memory hole," as it were, once they fall from the favor of their peers or fall into sin (Bob Gray, Jim Vineyard, Rod Bell, Truman Dollar, etc.).

Northern Fundamentalism, on the other hand, just had decided to not prioritize the preservation of its history. That is where we have lost many records of the pioneers of first- and second-generation Fundamentalism (John Roach Straton, O. W. van Osdel, David Otis Fuller, James Singleton, G. Archer Weniger, Mark Cambron, Ernest Pickering, etc.)

Does anybody remember the series of Christian biographies that Jim Vineyard wrote?

If Jim Vineyard gets an autobiography, World Famous Caleb Garraway would write the forward since he considers JAV, Tom, and Jack Hyles his idols.
When "World Famous: The Caleb Garraway Story" is released Ben Shapiro will write the forward. Also Caleb's second book "Pulling America" with Ted Nugent writing the forward.

Dollar’s books are an excellent resource.

If Jim Vineyard gets an autobiography, World Famous Caleb Garraway would write the forward since he considers JAV, Tom, and Jack Hyles his idols.
When "World Famous: The Caleb Garraway Story" is released Ben Shapiro will write the forward. Also Caleb's second book "Pulling America" with Ted Nugent writing the forward.
I would like to apologize to all previous trolls on the forum for the embarrassment that is uneducated Alvin and his/her/it’s socks.

Not a problem at all. Thank you for the willingness to apologize, though.

Would you know of any specific biographies, Tarheel Baptist?

Sword of the Lord published "Builder of Bridges," a biography of Bob Jones Sr. written by one of BJU's staff. The book ripped into John R. Rice for defending Billy Graham for a while after BJU turned against Graham. And Dr. Rice did not edit it out.
However, the biography, uhm, er, failed to mention that BJU had given Graham an honorary doctorate (which they later rescinded) and that Bob Jones Sr. had placed Billy Graham on the board of directors of BJU.

"Isaac Backus and the Second Reformation," Bruce Snavely, 2016, Liberty University Press, Lynchburg, Virginia

"J. Frank Norris and His Heirs: The Bible Translation Controversy," Doug Kutilek, 1999, Pilgrim Publications, Pasadena, Texas

"Luther Rice: Pioneer in Missions and Education," Edward Pollard, n.d., Richbarry Press, Columbia, South Carolina

"Adoniram Judson and the Missionary Call," Erroll Hulse, 1996, Chapel Library, Mount Zion Bible Church, Pensacola, Florida.

"Love Them In: The Life and Theology of D.L. Moody," Stanley Gundry, 1978, Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Oops. When I posted about the Moody biography, it slipped my mind that D.L. Moody was an ecumenical Congregationalist, not a Baptist. My bad.

Added Jimmy G. Tharpe and Art Wilson to the collection this past month.

I also contacted Caleb Garraway to see if he would ever consider authoring a Jim Vineyard biography, but he has not responded to my inquiry.

Added Jimmy G. Tharpe and Art Wilson to the collection this past month.

I also contacted Caleb Garraway to see if he would ever consider authoring a Jim Vineyard biography, but he has not responded to my inquiry.

When you're a World Famous Evangelist it's hard to respond to the numerous emails you receive daily. Caleb is preaching every week, working on another Gospel Record with his wife Katie, and also doing background vocals for other recording artists. He stays busy but always has time for prayer and is thankful for Jim and Tom Vineyard as well as Jack Hyles. Plus Caleb is "Pulling America".

Now who says Jim Vineyard wasn't hip with the cool kids? He didn't even wear shoes half the time. He did mentor the world famous Caleb G!!!!

Vineyard.jpg