Fundamentalist Colleges: Did you really learn about fundamentalism?

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Let me start with a quick analogy. I have what is called "NET Cancer." My oncologist told me, "Sadly, those studying to become oncologists have about 45 minutes in one class in their 4 years of study related to your kind of cancer." Not real comforting... but things are progressing.

In a similar "vein," I went to a Bible college that was billed as a Fundamental Baptist College. In my 4 years as a student, we didn't even have one class on "fundamentalism." We had an entire semester on "Baptist History," but we didn't have any classes devoted to "Fundamentalism"

At my Fundamental Baptist Seminary, we were taught the history and development, but not during my B.A.

Was this true for you? If so, do you think this lack of education about Fundamentalism in the college setting contributed to the demise of Fundamentalism? It certainly would explain why many who call themselves "Fundamental Baptists," today, can't even describe or explain the history of it.

If it was taught at HAC, it was so little, I don't remember it.

Well... it makes sense that fundamentalism is misunderstood.

I used to think the term was “hijacked.” I believe it was just negligence. I can’t tell you how many sermons and articles we read in college about the importance of the name “Baptist” and it’s distinctives. Yet, fundamentalism, as it historically developed, carries the cardinal truths of the gospel.

Doctrines defending the Person of Christ and His work have been set on a lower priority to “Soul Liberty” “Baptism” “”Church Membership” “Separationism.”

Let me start with a quick analogy. I have what is called "NET Cancer." My oncologist told me, "Sadly, those studying to become oncologists have about 45 minutes in one class in their 4 years of study related to your kind of cancer." Not real comforting... but things are progressing.

Off-topic, but I have been praying for you daily for several months now since I found out you are battling cancer.

I went to Satan U so I'm not qualified for answering the OP.

I have sat under two different Hyles-Anderson trained pastors. They both said essentially that their training was on day-to-day practical ministry and the general sentiment taught was "leave the theology to the deeper lifers".

The most recent pastor I have has been at my church for 17 years and has begun to distance himself from the fringe elements of Hyles style fundamentalism, particularly the idea of topical preaching. He understands the fundamentalist movement but identifies more readily with Baptist fundamentalism.

Last edited:

In a similar "vein," I went to a Bible college that was billed as a Fundamental Baptist College. In my 4 years as a student, we didn't even have one class on "fundamentalism." We had an entire semester on "Baptist History," but we didn't have any classes devoted to "Fundamentalism"

At my Fundamental Baptist Seminary, we were taught the history and development, but not during my B.A.

Was this true for you? If so, do you think this lack of education about Fundamentalism in the college setting contributed to the demise of Fundamentalism? It certainly would explain why many who call themselves "Fundamental Baptists," today, can't even describe or explain the history of it.

praying for you daily!!

I'm rather certain that if the Pharisees....... had survived. They would most definitely use the English word "fundamentalist" to describe themselves. I'm not aware of a single historical denomination or group that more closely resembles the Pharisee. Maybe Calvinist being a close second. Which would explain why they're so many self proclaimed Fundamental Calvinist around.

Don’t let the Catholics off the hook!

I've discussed the tenants of the faith with more than a few Catholics in my life. Can't say I see the comparison. Maybe in the early formative years but certain not since the Reformation. They've seemed to purposely avoid such dogma since.