Future Church Ladies

JrChurch

Elect
Reaction score
Girl A, I'll call her Sally (she comes from a long line of rednecks), walked into class today with her arm around Girl B, I'll call her Debbie (sweet, black bus girl) and tells me "I've been talking to Debbie about her need to ask Jesus to be her Savior.  She's been wanting to each week, but doesn't want to be in a crowd when she does.  Can you talk to her?" So, I took Debbie to a quiet area and she fully understood how to be saved and asked Jesus to save her.  Amen.  Then back to resume junior church.  Girl C, I'll call her Brunhilda, has her head in her hands bawling (not unusual behavior for this child) because Sally was not paying attention to her and sat with Debbie.

Sally is very soul-conscious for an 8 year-old-child.  She is concerned with others and noticed that Debbie was under conviction, talked with her, realized her hesitation to make a decision in a crowded environment and sought a remedy for the situation.  However,  Brunhilda sees grievances under every rock and has made herself the center of her little universe. 

I perceive that one of these girls will grow up to be a servant in church and the other just may  park her broom in the handicap space.

I think 8 years old is very young to make a general statement like this. It is possible she is just immature and still a bit egocentric. In this situation, parents should work with her to explain why her friend "ignored" her and teach her the importance of soulwinning. If this child is a "church kid", the church may be her only social outlet, so she sees Sunday school as a time for friends, not a time for learning about God's word and reaching the lost.

JrChurch said:
Girl A, I'll call her Sally (she comes from a long line of rednecks), walked into class today with her arm around Girl B, I'll call her Debbie (sweet, black bus girl) and tells me "I've been talking to Debbie about her need to ask Jesus to be her Savior.  She's been wanting to each week, but doesn't want to be in a crowd when she does.  Can you talk to her?" So, I took Debbie to a quiet area and she fully understood how to be saved and asked Jesus to save her.  Amen.  Then back to resume junior church.  Girl C, I'll call her Brunhilda, has her head in her hands bawling (not unusual behavior for this child) because Sally was not paying attention to her and sat with Debbie.

Sally is very soul-conscious for an 8 year-old-child.  She is concerned with others and noticed that Debbie was under conviction, talked with her, realized her hesitation to make a decision in a crowded environment and sought a remedy for the situation.  However,  Brunhilda sees grievances under every rock and has made herself the center of her little universe. 

I perceive that one of these girls will grow up to be a servant in church and the other just may  park her broom in the handicap space.

You are probably correct, assuming nothing changes.  I believe that the Holy Spirit can bring conviction and help a person to change.

So, I would say "If nothing changes, one of these..."

JrChurch said:

Because their behaviour when they're 8 is such a reliable indicator of what they'll be like when they're 30.

Ransom said:
JrChurch said:

Because their behaviour when they're 8 is such a reliable indicator of what they'll be like when they're 30.

If you were to judge me at 16 and what my future would be........my my my........I was a pure looser. I didn't get saved till I was 20 but had two DUI's by the time I was 19. Im on the backside of 30, been married 14 years have a quiver full and a career attend church faithfully and we are involved. By Gods grace definitely not the same person I was at 16.

Maybe this 8 year old has hope.

redhead said:
I think 8 years old is very young to make a general statement like this. It is possible she is just immature and still a bit egocentric. In this situation, parents should work with her to explain why her friend "ignored" her and teach her the importance of soulwinning. If this child is a "church kid", the church may be her only social outlet, so she sees Sunday school as a time for friends, not a time for learning about God's word and reaching the lost.
Of course, I hope this little church girl outgrows her selfish ways. 
I think these two are representative of what we see in churches today.