“Get Right!” What does this mean?

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
So, when you hear a preacher say “Get right!” what does he mean?

Maybe "Get on the right side"....... Do what is "right" instead of what is "wrong".

I personally always took it as a relationship status message. Like "Get right with your wife"..... I once didn't know what it meant. I KNOW NOW... :)

Stand to the right, or woe betide anyone who gets in between tubby and the potluck.

Said by the typical IFBx, "Get right" means you've gone against the MOG they idolize - at least that's what it's meant when it's been said to me. (I left a rather negative review on Amazon of one of Jack Hyles' books).
Ya, sounds like you need to get right. 😁

Salvation? Get [declared] right[eous]
Sanctification? Get [your life] right [daily]
Wesleyan View of Sanctification? Get right [once and for all]

Which of the above has been typically preached?

1. Become KJVO
2. Become a dispy
3. Sign up on the FFF and promote your positions.
4. Prepare to be assaulted like you were marching in a KKK parade dressed in blackface and holding a sign that says “Black Lives Matters is Racist”

Last edited:
Salvation? Get [declared] right[eous]
Sanctification? Get [your life] right [daily]
Wesleyan View of Sanctification? Get right [once and for all]

Which of the above has been typically preached?
Probably in the mind of the preacher sanctification. I've mostly heard it when a pastor is irritated folks aren't showing up for soul winning or attending Sunday evening service.

Is the homiletical emphasis on she-bears, or not touching God's anointed? 😁

Well, according to Jeff Voegtlin, Vice President of Fairhaven Baptist College, "Get Right" means get yourself into "complete submission" to the Mannagod/Pastor:

"You also must understand how authority works with godly men. When a man gets married, it appears to the unspiritual that he has finally become his own man and answers to no one but himself. This is clearly wrong, and you must not desire to be married so that you can get out from under authority in your life. You are not ready for the increased authority and responsibility of being a husband until you are completely submissive to the present Biblical authorities in your life. This includes your parents, your pastor, your civil authority, and your employer. If you are still trying to skirt the authority these hold in your life, you are not ready to be a husband. Work on that, for sure. You also must have a place in your church to serve God. A godly husband is in a church, and he has a way to serve God through his church. This places him under the authority of a pastor and in encouraging communion with other believers."

My personal experience with pastors who expect "complete submission" is that no level of submission is ever enough for them. So, I guess I will never be able to "Get Right." I'm looking over my shoulder for those she-bears.

Get right, or get left - at the Rapture, that is.

Well, according to Jeff Voegtlin, Vice President of Fairhaven Baptist College, "Get Right" means get yourself into "complete submission" to the Mannagod/Pastor:

"You also must understand how authority works with godly men. When a man gets married, it appears to the unspiritual that he has finally become his own man and answers to no one but himself. This is clearly wrong, and you must not desire to be married so that you can get out from under authority in your life. You are not ready for the increased authority and responsibility of being a husband until you are completely submissive to the present Biblical authorities in your life. This includes your parents, your pastor, your civil authority, and your employer. If you are still trying to skirt the authority these hold in your life, you are not ready to be a husband. Work on that, for sure. You also must have a place in your church to serve God. A godly husband is in a church, and he has a way to serve God through his church. This places him under the authority of a pastor and in encouraging communion with other believers."

My personal experience with pastors who expect "complete submission" is that no level of submission is ever enough for them. So, I guess I will never be able to "Get Right." I'm looking over my shoulder for those she-bears.

Get right, or get left - at the Rapture, that is.
Well these pastors are partially correct in having to keep their people "controlled". With the easy believism that is common in many IFB they are bringing folks in who were never really saved to begin with. If a person does not have the Holy Spirit and is not in submission to Him, then the pastor has to play the part of the Holy Spirit for these unsaved members so they can at least look the part.

From Vance Havner's book In Times Like These (1969), notice the high-lited "get right with God."
get right with God.jpg

From Vance Havner's book In Times Like These (1969), notice the high-lited "get right with God."
View attachment 1375
Sad to say, I cried aloud for people on Sunday to realize the desperation of the times and come to meet on Wednesday night for corporate prayer.
The hour is more desperate that any before and one new person heeded the call to come.
Quite heartbreaking.

My first introduction to the phrase "Get right with God" was in the context of Christian camp where the preacher preached from Romans 12:1-2

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

He parked on the word "present" and made the point that it was in the Aorist tense. He claimed that the Aorist tense, in the Greek, means "once and for all." So he made the point to "present [once and for all]."

So, the "Get right [once and for all]" message undermined Romans 12:1-2.

The Aorist tense in Greek was way overstated. In fact, it is just a simple past tense. It doesn't mean that the action is to take place once and for all. As we all know... the conforming and transforming process is continuous... it needs to happen every day, every moment of every day.

Said by the typical IFBx, "Get right" means you've gone against the MOG they idolize - at least that's what it's meant when it's been said to me. (I left a rather negative review on Amazon of one of Jack Hyles' books).
I agree and the same goes for the term "backsliding". It means that "they", not God, is disappointed in you. You probably think for yourself, instead of this group-think. I believe all the rules were just to show them who the "loyal" crowd was. The crowd that would drink the kool-aid. They try to control every aspect of your life by criticizing from the pulpit. They will make up stories, twist scriptures and try to convince you that they, ONLY, know what is best. If you sway from that, you are a backslider.