Good Thoughts

subllibrm

Well-known member
Doctor
Elect
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
8,050
Reaction score
744
Points
113
For a long time, I thought I understood how Christians were supposed to engage the culture: Speak louder. Fight harder. Push back.

If things were getting worse, it just meant we needed to be more aggressive, more strategic, more influential. But the more I tried, and the more I saw other Christians doing the same, I couldn't deny the obvious reality that it wasn't working.

Oh, there would be short-term successes and flashes of hope. But the trajectory of the culture wasn't changing. And I became convinced that at best, we were spinning our wheels. At worst, we were making things worse.

The deeper I got into Scripture while writing this book, the more uncomfortable realization I kept running into: the approach I had adopted wasn't really coming from Jesus.

It was coming from the world. The world's approaches, the world's strategies, the world's obsession with power and politics. That's a dangerous place for a Christian to build from, especially when we're talking about how to change hearts, minds, and culture.

- Peter Heck
 
Back
Top