He's doing it again - Jack

Still There

Elect
Reaction score
HAMMOND | A former pastor of First Baptist Church of Hammond on Friday asked a federal judge to at least allow his attorney to present evidence showing his 12-year sentence should be overturned.

An attorney for Jack Schaap, 56, persisted in claims that Schaap's defense attorneys provided ineffective counsel and that U.S. District Judge Rudy Lozano should have considered his teenage victim's "sexual aggressiveness" at sentencing, federal court records show.

Florida attorney Charles Murray, representing Schaap, also brushed off prosecutors' claims that Schaap's sentence did not outweigh the gravity of his offense.

Prosecutors said Schaap's conduct was "egregious" and done under the guise of providing religious counseling to the girl. Schaap's attorney wrote such a characterization is an oversimplification of evidence in the case.

Schaap was sentenced in March 2013 to 12 years in prison for transporting a then-17-year-old parishioner he was counseling to Illinois and Michigan for sex.

Murray filed a motion to vacate, correct or set aside Schaap's sentence in June. Schaap laid out a similar argument in a March letter to Lozano, when he requested more time to hire an attorney.

The U.S. attorney's office said in its response to Schaap's motion that Lozano fully advised Schaap at a change of plea hearing that he faced 10 years to life in prison.

Prosecutors and Schaap's defense attorneys had submitted a plea agreement recommending 10 years in prison, prosecutors said.

However, Schaap was advised by Lozano that the judge was not bound by the agreement.

Schaap claims his defense attorneys advised him that he would be sentenced to a maximum of 10 years but was more likely receive three to four years and perhaps as little as 18 months.

Prosecutors said Schaap repeatedly said in court that he understood the terms of his plea agreement.

"Defendant also acknowledged that the parties' recommendation of a 10-year sentence was not binding upon the court," Deputy U.S. Attorney Jill Koster wrote in her response to Schaap's motion. "At no time during the change of plea hearing did defendant express confusion regarding the minimum sentence he faced or suggest (as he conveniently does now) that he believed 10 years to be the maximum."

Schaap's attorney accused Koster of "flippantly" rejecting Schaap's claim and said Schaap "apologizes" to the court.

"The petitioner did not attend law school and does not have an extensive history of involvement with the criminal history system," Murray wrote. "As such, terms such as 'maximum guideline sentence' and 'statutory maximum sentence' mean little, especially when considered in conjunction with counsel's promises to the petitioner regarding sentence length."

Murray said the U.S. attorney's office has not put forth any evidence, such as an affidavit from Schaap's defense team, refuting Schaap's claims that he would face as little as 18 months in prison.

Schaap has filed an affidavit attesting to that claim.

He deserves every day they gave him.................

WESLEY said:
I have been as hard on JS as anyone... BUT, to be honest, I think that 12 years is a little much for the crime.  Just look in NWI Times history, and you will find out most people with a similar crime get much less...

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/school-custodian-sentenced-for-sex-with-student/article_2ab953be-b7e6-505c-9f05-8478e05d380c.html

I think this is a pretty similar example.  This guy was sentenced to 4 1/2 years

Are you saying Jack is like a janitor? The big difference is that Jack faced Federal charges for transporting a minor across state lines-minimum sentencing for Federal crimes is a little tougher than state guidelines. But I do like the janitor comparison though.

Well being a classic HACker it looks like JS cut the word "quit" out of his dictionary. Makes you wonder what else he will refuse to quit.

WESLEY said:
I have been as hard on JS as anyone... BUT, to be honest, I think that 12 years is a little much for the crime.  Just look in NWI Times history, and you will find out most people with a similar crime get much less...

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/school-custodian-sentenced-for-sex-with-student/article_2ab953be-b7e6-505c-9f05-8478e05d380c.html

I think this is a pretty similar example.  This guy was sentenced to 4 1/2 years

James 3.1  My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.

Still There said:
"The petitioner did not attend law school and does not have an extensive history of involvement with the criminal history system," Murray wrote. "As such, terms such as 'maximum guideline sentence' and 'statutory maximum sentence' mean little, especially when considered in conjunction with counsel's promises to the petitioner regarding sentence length."

Wow...those are really tough concepts to grasp that probably require 7 years of education and extensive interaction with the judicial system to fully comprehend? So, his attorney is arguing that he was too stupid to grasp those concepts? His attorney is also alleging that Jack's legal counsel "promised" a reduced sentence? I see nothing but smooth sailing for this petition.

WESLEY said:
I have been as hard on JS as anyone... BUT, to be honest, I think that 12 years is a little much for the crime. 

I didn't think I'd ever read such a statement here, but now that someone's put it out there, I will say... I agree. 

Then, obviously you have never been under his spell.

Least of These said:
WESLEY said:
I have been as hard on JS as anyone... BUT, to be honest, I think that 12 years is a little much for the crime. 

I didn't think I'd ever read such a statement here, but now that someone's put it out there, I will say... I agree.

Would you be saying that if it was your daughter?

Least of These said:
WESLEY said:

Actually,  other people have made almost that exact statement. I was surprised he was sentenced to 12 year. I don''t know if the judge may just be fed up with all these preaching sex offenders abd was trying to make an example and perhaps set a precedent. Whatever, I think JS understood the terms completely before agreeing to the plea, 

patriotic said:
Whatever, I think JS understood the terms completely before agreeing to the plea,

Oh yes, I agree with this as well. 

WESLEY said:
Maybe the judge knows a Bible verse or 2.....
Luke 12: 48 for example....For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:

patriotic said:
Least of These said:
WESLEY said:

Actually,  other people have made almost that exact statement. I was surprised he was sentenced to 12 year. I don''t know if the judge may just be fed up with all these preaching sex offenders abd was trying to make an example and perhaps set a precedent. Whatever, I think JS understood the terms completely before agreeing to the plea,

I actually think the support letters influenced the judge in an unintended way.

I thought the same at first 12 years was a little steep, She was 17 if she was 2-3 years younger I would have had a much bigger issue with it. He just got slammed because of taking her across state lines, had he just stayed in Indiana he may have only got 2-7 years (Out in 1-3)... I mean really he could have raped (forcefully) and murdered her and probably got less time.

But now... How he's trying to blame the girl I feel let him rot. It sickened me to read that Jesus wanted this and all that BS he said to her, the little tiny bit of respect I had for him (Only because he said at first "I did it and I will take my punishment for it") is now gone and I think he should rot....
Hopefully he ha heard the same thing in prison "Jesus loves you"... (Only this isn't our savior Jesus)

She was 16 when it began.

He deserves each one of the 12 years he was given. He manipulated a compromised minor while serving as her pastor and counselor.

Let's compare this to a recent case of a Lancaster man who kidnapped and forcibly raped a mall employee just over a year ago. Last week he was sentenced to 84 years.

These crimes are now (thankfully) getting more serious sentences.

Don't wanna do the time? Don't do the crime.

http://theavtimes.com/2014/08/12/lancaster-man-gets-84-to-life-for-topanga-mall-kidnap-rape/

AmazedbyGrace said:
She was 16 when it began.

He deserves each one of the 12 years he was given. He manipulated a compromised minor while serving as her pastor and counselor.

Let's compare this to a recent case of a Lancaster man who kidnapped and forcibly raped a mall employee just over a year ago. Last week he was sentenced to 84 years.

These crimes are now (thankfully) getting more serious sentences.

Don't wanna do the time? Don't do the crime.

http://theavtimes.com/2014/08/12/lancaster-man-gets-84-to-life-for-topanga-mall-kidnap-rape/

That there is the biggest thing for me.  JS has been married for 30 plus years (something close to that I'm sure) he knew how to get in that girls head.  And for some reason, some people just do not get that very important peace of the puzzle, boggles my mind. 

They want to refer to it as "a relationship", whatever. 

Bruh said:
That there is the biggest thing for me.  JS has been married for 30 plus years (something close to that I'm sure) he knew how to get in that girls head.  And for some reason, some people just do not get that very important peace of the puzzle, boggles my mind. 

They want to refer to it as "a relationship", whatever.

Absolutely.
It was ABUSE not a relationship. Anyone read Schaap's twisted letters to his victim? He tried to make his abuse sound spiritual!!

And this was not the only lady he tried this with.

It was a horrible abuse of authority. And the set up at FBCH facilitated it. No one questioned the pastor when he would make plans to be alone with the victim - in fact, the delivered the poor girl to him! The victim was told by the admin to completely trust him with her life.

H-E-L-L-O!

I am stunned her family hasn't sued FBCH over their part in her abuse.

AmazedbyGrace said:
I am stunned her family hasn't sued FBCH over their part in her abuse.

I'm not sure, but in a civil case, there might be a chance she would have to testify.  I don't think there's any amount of $$$ that's worth that.

That is true, and might be their reason for not suing. She did write a letter to the court during Schaap's original trial.