Holidays

B

Bro Blue

Are there any others out there that does not care about holidays? I don't even care for the 'christian' holidays like Christmas and Easter. If you asked most kids what is the first thing to come to your mind when you think of these holidays, they would probably say santa and presents and eggs and bunnies. I know that churches have put cute little symbolisms to most of the imagery, but I don't buy it. And how about Valentines day with little cupids running around everywhere? One caveat would be Thanksgiving. At least it was started by people who wanted to thank God for His provision. But people still think about the bird.

What say you?

I agree that most holidays are meaningless to me also.  Most are very commercially oriented and God is not properly honored or even remembered as he should be.  Although, if I had to pick one to keep out of all of them, it would be Christmas.  ;D

I am not a creative person so that may be why I have little interest in holidays.  We have big holiday celebrations at our house, but I don't have holiday decorations.  I will set out a random seasonal item such as a cornucopia or some snowmen.  Fresh flowers are what I prefer.
Frankly, I would rather spend my time doing something for someone than decorating. 

I have always loved Christmas. I like the decorations and the music. Evan when I was homeless and there were no presents or anything, I still liked Christmas. I'd walk around downtown looking at the decorations and singing Christmas songs to myself.

Bro Blue said:
Are there any others out there that does not care about holidays? I don't even care for the 'christian' holidays like Christmas and Easter. If you asked most kids what is the first thing to come to your mind when you think of these holidays, they would probably say santa and presents and eggs and bunnies. I know that churches have put cute little symbolisms to most of the imagery, but I don't buy it. And how about Valentines day with little cupids running around everywhere? One caveat would be Thanksgiving. At least it was started by people who wanted to thank God for His provision. But people still think about the bird.

What say you?

Is there a problem with people having fun days and days of celebration?  It's nice to have special days to look forward to.  It brings joy to people.  You don't have to enjoy it, that is your prerogative but I have no problem at all with people enjoying a day just for the sheer pleasure of holiday tradition.   

No, there's no problem if people want to do so. But because of the expectations established by these traditions, people who don't care for them are looked at as grumps and killjoys. Take christmas for example,  if a couple decided they were not going to do the gift thing for their family they would be looked at as bad parents who are withholding joy from their children. Or say a husband don't care about valentines, he might would be looked at as callous and unromantic.

Bro Blue said:

What say you?

I think we should take the Christian holidays seriously and put meaning back in them, both in our individual homes and our churches.  Teach our children where they came from, and don't let them sit and watch tv endlessly, thus getting their understanding from there.

Bro Blue said:
No, there's no problem if people want to do so. But because of the expectations established by these traditions, people who don't care for them are looked at as grumps and killjoys. Take christmas for example,  if a couple decided they were not going to do the gift thing for their family they would be looked at as bad parents who are withholding joy from their children. Or say a husband don't care about valentines, he might would be looked at as callous and unromantic.

I don't think that you have to do these traditions. Valentines day is whatever you make it.  Christmas can be grreat without all the gift giving and endless tinsel junk strewn around the house.

Holidays

looking-back-1980-1990.jpg

Celebrate!