Horton announces retirement.

E

Excelsior

So the Horton's are retiring and Shoemaker will be President. Wow.

Do you think this news will result in more crazy vis-a-vis student life (i.e. rules), or less?

Does that mean Shoemaker gets tio hire and fire the Pastor's at Campus Church from now on?
If so, maybe he will replace the Sominex preacher there now....

The real question is- Will the Horton's REALLY let go of power?

Ransom said:
Do you think this news will result in more crazy vis-a-vis student life (i.e. rules), or less?

It's not just the rules it's the surveillance. That's what bugs people the most - the surveillance - It's like a fundie Big Brother watching to see if any one violates one of the rules - the students are involved in this as well. It kind of reminds me of elementary school when I got busted for defacing school property.

This is just switching hats, he is not giving up any power. TRACS says he can not be chairman AND college president. So one role had to go.

Ahhhh, I read through the announcement quickly. I did not see where it said he will be Chairman. Really? It's kind of sad really. Like he can't let go. :(

I don't keep up with PCC news, so I don't know who Shoemaker is.  Possibly from Trinity in Jacksonville, FL?

with the Horton dictatorship coming to an end, maybe rules and such will start changing at PCC...hes been president for 38 yrs???  I thought Dale Horton was President before Arlin was....but with new leadership coming in, maybe PCC might relax a bit on how strict they are and things like that...

armyofone said:
with the Horton dictatorship coming to an end, maybe rules and such will start changing at PCC...hes been president for 38 yrs???  I thought Dale Horton was President before Arlin was....but with new leadership coming in, maybe PCC might relax a bit on how strict they are and things like that...

I doubt it but TTU changed so anything could happen - it all depends on the man in charge.

In my observation though Christian colleges like this only change when they want to have a more transdenominational reach - that is get students from any church regardless of denomination but this depends on the school - I would imagine Liberty University is all Baptist students and faculty even if they don't exclude others who are born again Christians - Liberty still has some rules that some might think are cool.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Does that mean Shoemaker gets tio hire and fire the Pastor's at Campus Church from now on?

In August 2011, Dr. Horton announced to the student body that Dennis McBride had been selected as Pastor of the Campus Church.  Apparently Dr. Joel Mullinex had been the interim pastor with the resignation of Dr. Neal Jackson in August of 2009.  He will remain the pastor of radio ministries and the like...and with this accreditation with TRACS soon to be happening, and the new president in Troy Shoemaker, maybe PCC will be a different school.  Im thinking the Hortons retired due to the changes the board wanted to purse and they didnt want any part of it, or maybe God was really leading them to leave the ministry..guess that is between them and God..

armyofone said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

In August 2011, Dr. Horton announced to the student body that Dennis McBride had been selected as Pastor of the Campus Church.  Apparently Dr. Joel Mullinex had been the interim pastor with the resignation of Dr. Neal Jackson in August of 2009.  He will remain the pastor of radio ministries and the like...and with this accreditation with TRACS soon to be happening, and the new president in Troy Shoemaker, maybe PCC will be a different school.  Im thinking the Hortons retired due to the changes the board wanted to purse and they didnt want any part of it, or maybe God was really leading them to leave the ministry..guess that is between them and God..

I just don't understand why SOMEBODY doesn't get Mullinex off the platform....he would have to improve to be boring......

armyofone said:

I was at PCC from 1998 until toward the end of 2013. I have seen PCC change during that time. I don't know the specific details of some of the changes other than from students that I had worked with when I was on staff. Here are some of the rule changes since I was a student. These are all from my memory, not from a handbook.

1. Chaperoned areas on campus:
a. Originally: There were areas that were considered "unchaperoned" that seemed like they were. Mixed groups caught by chaperones in these places at certain times could automatically become "socialed (can't communicate with the opposite sex for a week + 25 demerits)." The Social Hall was a place for couples to fellowship under strict oversight.
b. Now: There are no "unchaperoned areas" on campus, but that doesn't mean that men and women students can visit each other in their dorms. The whole campus is considered "The Social Hall." Men students can hang out next to the women's dorm plazas. The Social Hall is being renovated into a second floor with stores, a coffee shop, and a cafeteria.

2. Dress code:
a. Originally: Women had to wear hose every day except for Saturday. Men had to wear dress shirts and ties in the morning, could wear polo shirts in the afternoon, and suits to dinner.
b. Now: Women students do not have to wear hose. Men students can wear polo shirts all day and wear jeans and t-shirts after 5:00 PM on and off campus on week days as well as all day on weekends.

3. Demerits (not by any means all inclusive):
a. Originally: One demerit for failing room inspection, 5 for being late to class, 25 for skipping a class.
b. Now: Demerits are called "infractions." Room job is more lenient and may not exist anymore on weekends. Failing room job received some kind of mark. If five are received within a short period of time, the violator must pay a $5 fine and the marks are removed. No demerits for being late or absent from class although there may still be some dock on the grade if missing two or three weeks of class.

4. Graf Clinic:
a. Originally: If a student checked into the clinic, that student must stay in the clinic until the nurse allow that person to leave. The student could not do any homework and must suffer the consequences for the time missed from classes. All the student could do during that time in the clinic was read the Bible.
b. Now: A student can visit the clinic to get checkups and miss scheduled activity during that time. The student is not forced to be there by nurses against his will. If checking into the clinic, the student must fill a form (or maybe e-mail the work supervisor if applicable), letting him/her know of the clinic incident. The clinic visit evaluation will determine if the student is able to return to activities or allowed to stay in the dorm for the rest of the day.

5. The Student Voice controversy:
a. Originally: The Student Voice newsletter was forbidden and any student caught reading it, being associated with it, or know of another student reading it without turning them in was grounds for termination. E-mail and internet access was not allow because of this. Students would received warning of reading internet forums and blogs because of the "dangers."
b. Now: Under Dr. Shoemaker, the college bought the Student Voice web domain name from the owner for $75,000 even though the owner offered to give it to the college for free. Dr. Shoemaker said that to deal with the negativity that is published on the Internet about PCC, PCC is establishing a presence on the Internet through Facebook, Twitter, and other means (the smart way of dealing with negative publicity IMHO).

6. Accreditation:
a. Originally: PCC was not accredited by any accrediting body and did not plan to get any accreditation.
b. Now: As of the time I left, PCC was a candidate for TRACS accreditation. It might have it by now. Dr. Shoemaker even said that some day in the future PCC may pursue regional accreditation if the Lord wills. Dr. Shoemaker was always excited about the TRASC accreditation and would use phrases like, "we need to get accreditation as soon as possible."

7. The cast system relationships (students, staff, faculty):
a. Originally: Students must hang out with only student. Staff and faculty could hang out together. Lunch gatherings were divided into student, staff, faculty, and GAs. Students wanting to date staff/faculty/GAs had to have special permission and could only be together during church, in the Palms Grille, in the Social Hall, or at Fine Arts Series.
b. Now: In general, students only hang out with students because scheduled activities in certain buildings such as the Sports Center have separate times for students than for staff/faculty/GAs (which makes sense). I don't think that students need special permission to date faculty/staff/GAs except that they can't date someone who is currently their teacher. If a student is dating a faculty/staff/GA, they can eat together in the student section.

8. Lights Out in dorms:
a. Originally: Students under 23 years of age had to be in bed at 11:00 PM and stay in bed until 5:30 AM. Floorleaders often would do random inspections in rooms to see if any students were out of bed. They could get demerits if in their restroom or doing homework. They could get 50 demerits if caught in another room after lights out.
b. Now: I'm not sure how this works, but I have heard that lights out is not as strictly enforced in that Floorleaders are not aggressively rechecking rooms and getting students in trouble for being in the restroom. They may be allowed to read with a light in bed if they wanted, which was taboo when I was a student.

9. Summer meals:
a. Originally: Students under 23 years of age were required to attend college dinner time and consume something. One time I was invited to a faculty's apartment for dinner. When getting the pass signed, the signer told me that I must still go to the eating facility, grab a drink, gulp it down, then leave just so that I "consumed something" there before I went to the faculty's apartment. This, of course, made us later than expected because the college dinner time was at 5:30 PM when we planned to be at the faculty's house at 5:00 PM.
b. Now: Students are no longer required to eat college dinner during the summer.

Not long after Dr. Shoemaker became president, I had finished my doctorate (not from PCC). Dr. Shoemaker invited all of the recent doctoral graduates to have lunch with them and the Mullinexes in the Windsor dining hall. It was awesome. The food was excellent and the table top was made out of glass. Dr. Shoemaker has an awesome, friendly personality, which is not at all intimidating. It was also cool to have Dr. Shoemaker and Dr. Mullinex call me "Dr. Jeep Dragon." I felt out of place (in a somewhat cool way) because I was the only one there who did not earn a doctorate from PCC, that it was regionally accredited, that my dissertation actually got published in ProQuest instead of just collecting dust in PCC's library, and that it was not in the subject of Bible, history, or education. Sorry, just had to rub it in. :)

Whenever Dr. Shoemaker spoke, he always sounded like he is trying to think of ways to change or add policies that makes people happy as well as make the processes more efficient. He also invites ideas from anyone to help improve the college. He seems like he is trying to do the right thing. From personal experience, I believe that Dr. Horton made the right choice in having Dr. Shoemaker become the next president.

admin said:
Welcome to the forum Mr. Jeep Dragon!

Thanks. I used to post on the old FFF, but probably did not even reach 400 posts over 4 years. Heh. This, is now my second post on this forum.

admin said:
Are you on faculty elsewhere now?

No. I never was on faculty. I worked on staff in their IT department as an A Beka Academy programmer from June 6, 2006 (heh, the 6/6/6 date) until October 31, 2013. I programmed in C#.NET and Oracle PL/SQL for the A Beka Academy homschooling as well as for the Accounting, Security, and Emergency Operations Center departments. I am now a software engineer in a property/mortgage firm out of state.