How do you approach the great commission?

Darkwing Duck

Elect
Reaction score
As a former fundy who was taught the "Romans Road" "salvation plan", I wonder what is the best way to fulfill the great commission.
Is there other material out there with a more comprehensive teaching on salvation for door-to-door ministry?
Is there a better way to personally help fulfill the great commission other than door-to-door soulwinning?
What can I do with my teenage son to reach others for Christ?

Darkwing Duck said:
As a former fundy who was taught the "Romans Road" "salvation plan", I wonder what is the best way to fulfill the great commission.
Is there other material out there with a more comprehensive teaching on salvation for door-to-door ministry?
Is there a better way to personally help fulfill the great commission other than door-to-door soulwinning?

1. No one is fulfilling the Great Commission. It was fulfilled in those to whom it was originally given.
2. The is no greater source materials than those found in the Scriptures
3. The Gospel is a message of making a willing choice toward God. Not a means to coerce absolute compliance. It finds it roots in the heart of the willing or it withers and dies without bearing any fruit.
4. First, reach your son for Christ. Teach him what you wished you'd known at his age. Plant seeds of encouragement, bravery, hope, and limitless faith. Admonish him to live the life of faith.... to not just follow man made rules and regulations that never come from the heart. Encourage him to be charitable. Not just with his monies but with his empathy, compassion and unfeigned love. Teach him to temper these things with truth and justice. Being wise and at times.... calculating. Not as a "pansy" or "pushover".

Such people naturally get noticed. A particular people. A Royal people. A people that naturally attract the admiration of a lost and dying world. You don't need an "attack" plan to win the lost. You need a "construction" plan.

christundivided said:
Darkwing Duck said:

1. No one is fulfilling the Great Commission. It was fulfilled in those to whom it was originally given.
2. The is no greater source materials than those found in the Scriptures
3. The Gospel is a message of making a willing choice toward God. Not a means to coerce absolute compliance. It finds it roots in the heart of the willing or it withers and dies without bearing any fruit.
4. First, reach your son for Christ. Teach him what you wished you'd known at his age. Plant seeds of encouragement, bravery, hope, and limitless faith. Admonish him to live the life of faith.... to not just follow man made rules and regulations that never come from the heart. Encourage him to be charitable. Not just with his monies but with his empathy, compassion and unfeigned love. Teach him to temper these things with truth and justice. Being wise and at times.... calculating. Not as a "pansy" or "pushover".

Such people naturally get noticed. A particular people. A Royal people. A people that naturally attract the admiration and a lost and dying world. You don't need an "attack" plan to win the lost. You need a "construction" plan.
Thank you. This is good.

But do you not feel that we have some personal responsibility to share our faith?
Do we have an obligation to teach the unbelievers about Christ?

Darkwing Duck said:
No one is fulfilling the Great Commission. It was fulfilled in those to whom it was originally given.

Did they really fulfill it?  Jesus told them to go into all the world.  Did any of the apostles go to America?

The last part of the commission was "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you."  That includes the command that he was just giving to them.  The commission applies to us just as much as it did to them.

The commission doesn't contain any instructions about how we are to preach the gospel.  We are all given different spiritual gifts and natural abilities and the method each of us uses will depend on what we are able to do.  Some people have the ability to do door to door evangelism; that is what they should do.  Many people, including me, can't do this kind of evangelism, but if they want to obey God he will show them how he wants them to evangelize.

theophilus said:
Darkwing Duck said:
No one is fulfilling the Great Commission. It was fulfilled in those to whom it was originally given.

Did they really fulfill it?  Jesus told them to go into all the world.  Did any of the apostles go to America?

The last part of the commission was "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you."  That includes the command that he was just giving to them.  The commission applies to us just as much as it did to them.

The commission doesn't contain any instructions about how we are to preach the gospel.  We are all given different spiritual gifts and natural abilities and the method each of us uses will depend on what we are able to do.  Some people have the ability to do door to door evangelism; that is what they should do.  Many people, including me, can't do this kind of evangelism, but if they want to obey God he will show them how he wants them to evangelize.

Use your Greek skills and really examine the verse. The more accurate sense of "Go ye" is better seen as "as you are going into the world".  The NET translates Matthew 28:19 as

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit

There was never a command to travel the entire world and evangelize everyone.... much less a command extending to all nations of all generations. If that type command was given.... then it horribly FAILED. You are taking it to mean it can't be fulfilled because it can't be fulfilled without successive generations... YET, you fail to recognize that not every nation of every time... has heard the Gospel message. Much less received it and passed it on to successive generations. Some areas received the Gospel and it then withered away and died. The commission doesn't obligate those in Christ to win successive generations of those that reject Christ.

This is perfect harmony with

Luk 24:47  And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Throw in Titus 2:11 and you have a complete picture of the work of God in this world.

The fact the great commission has been fulfilled doesn't stop God from doing anything and everything He wants to do. Do as you feel lead of God.... but don't point Matthew 28 and Luke 24 and claim you're fulfilling the call of God.

I have never agreed with door to door evangelism and it has nothing to do with election. Most of mankind have heard the Gospel time and time again. Over and over. Over and over. Again and again. Time in... and Time out. If they haven't willingly embraced the truth of the God, then "coercing" them into to coming to your "church" or conform to your "club" isn't going to get very far. Now, granted. God still has His way in such and I would never question God. Yet, I would never claim that this is exactly how God wants it done.

Darkwing Duck said:
But do you not feel that we have some personal responsibility to share our faith?
Do we have an obligation to teach the unbelievers about Christ?

1. I share my faith as I have opportunity and direction. I do not take every opportunity nor do I feel the need to share my faith with everyone I have ever meet or will meet.
2. Just how do you teach unbelievers about Christ? The ONLY thing a unbeliever can know is exactly what Christ has done for all of humanity. They can only embrace where the Heavenly.... meet the earthly. Its called Calvary. You tell the saints the "rest of the story". Herein is a big problem with modern evangelism. They force themselves into lives via avenues God never wanted. They coerce people into puppets that can't function until someone pulls their strings. They no more have tasted of Eternal life than a mangy dog sipping water out of dirty hoof print. From enemies sowing tares to unwitting "Christians" being pressured into becoming a sharp shooting "soul winner" that loves to count the notches on their belt. It pretty much ends up the same way. A bunch of people pretending they have a divine mandate to make everyone else just like themselves.... all in the name of the "Great Commission".