How do you know when your church service is over?

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score

This will differ from church to church, I know. 

And trust me, this is the right forum category. 

When the Mic finally stops making noise. 

Anishinabe

prophet said:

Anishinabe

Not exactly the kind of answer I was looking for (I was expecting something like "the benediction").  But I'll run with it. 

Suppose someone got up and started to leave 10 minutes before the mic stopped making noise.  So you tell him, "the service isn't over yet".  He says, "I'm sorry, I didn't know.  I thought it was over." 

Would it be reasonable for you to tell him, "well, here's how you can know the service is over -- when the mic stops making noise"? 

The Rogue Tomato said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

Not exactly the kind of answer I was looking for (I was expecting something like "the benediction").  But I'll run with it. 

Suppose someone got up and started to leave 10 minutes before the mic stopped making noise.  So you tell him, "the service isn't over yet".  He says, "I'm sorry, I didn't know.  I thought it was over." 

Would it be reasonable for you to tell him, "well, here's how you can know the service is over -- when the mic stops making noise"?
No one would tell an Indian anything, if he stands up and walks out 10 minutes before the service ends.  Someone does it every week.

Anishinaabe

Once the third major point is presented on the display units.  People pack up, put their shoes on and start gettin' ready to leave.  Oh, and the mic is still making noise, but the service is over - people have checked out.  :)

Service is over after we sing the Doxology. :)

rsc2a said:

Okay, then...

Suppose someone got up and started to leave 10 minutes before the doxology.  So you tell him, "the service isn't over yet".  He says, "I'm sorry, I didn't know.  I thought it was over." 

Would it be reasonable for you to tell him, "well, here's how you can know the service is over -- when you've heard the doxology"?

The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:

Okay, then...

Suppose someone got up and started to leave 10 minutes before the doxology.  So you tell him, "the service isn't over yet".

I wouldn't say this. I'm not that concerned with when or why people leave the service. :)

[quote author=The Rogue Tomato] He says, "I'm sorry, I didn't know.  I thought it was over." Would it be reasonable for you to tell him, "well, here's how you can know the service is over -- when you've heard the doxology"?[/quote]

The singing of the Doxology does tend to mark the ends of our service. :)

rsc2a said:

Here's what I'm getting at:  This seems entirely reasonable to me, if someone was misled into thinking the service was over 10 minutes earlier than when it was really over:

"Let no one deceive you by any means; for that service is not over unless the doxology is given."

My point here is that the above statement assumes the person will be there to hear the doxology.  Likewise, when Paul says,

"3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day [of the Lord] will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed"...

Paul is assuming that, if the Day of the Lord came soon, his readers would be present to witness the falling away and the man of sin revealed first, otherwise this instruction would make no sense. 

We stand for the invitation, usually one to three verses. The music stops, the Pastor will say a few words thanking everyone for coming, invite back for Sunday Night, he says so and so pray and then you are dismissed.  Our services run pretty much like clock work (and I like that!!) Only time there is awkwardness is when a visitor comes and claps for a special (we dont clap)

I am a backrow Baptist! And if I dont have to talk to anyone afterward, I usually slip out during the invitation :)

The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:

Here's what I'm getting at:  This seems entirely reasonable to me, if someone was misled into thinking the service was over 10 minutes earlier than when it was really over:

"Let no one deceive you by any means; for that service is not over unless the doxology is given."

My point here is that the above statement assumes the person will be there to hear the doxology.  Likewise, when Paul says,

"3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day [of the Lord] will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed"...

Paul is assuming that, if the Day of the Lord came soon, his readers would be present to witness the falling away and the man of sin revealed first, otherwise this instruction would make no sense.

You'll get no argument from me. :)

The Rogue Tomato said:

Same way you know anything else is over. Someone tells us we're dismissed, or to have a great week, or some other variation on "The End."

When the sound tech starts putting away the microphones, that also pretty much settles the issue.

I know the service is over Sunday morning when parents walk into class, peel Johnny off the ceiling, tell him to grab his Sunday School paper/airplane and exit quickly so they can beat the line at the buffet.   

Sunday morning crowd usually exits pretty quickly, but Sunday Night and Wed Night people hand around a visit.

JrChurch, I stopped doing Children Church this past summer, my kids were traveling and busy so they were unable to help me. But I understand about peeling them off the ceiling!!

So now that it's been established that yeah, we aren't just sitting around like idiots after the service waiting for something else to happen, is there a point to this?

Ransom said:
So now that it's been established that yeah, we aren't just sitting around like idiots after the service waiting for something else to happen, is there a point to this?

Yes, and you apparently missed it.

Here, I'll help you avoid scrolling up.

The final point is that this verse disproves the pre-trib rapture, since the man of sin is revealed 3.5 years after pre-tribbers say they will disappear.  He's saying, "here are the signs you'd see first".  But if they'd be poofed 3.5 years before the signs occur, there'd be no point in telling them said signs. 

(Side note: I have my doubts about the whole "seven year tribulation period" thing, but my "proof" is going by what pre-tribbers believe, not what I believe.)

The Rogue Tomato said:
Ransom said:

The final point is that this verse disproves the pre-trib rapture, since the man of sin is revealed 3.5 years after pre-tribbers say they will disappear.  He's saying, "here are the signs you'd see first".  But if they'd be poofed 3.5 years before the signs occur, there'd be no point in telling them said signs. 

(Side note: I have my doubts about the whole "seven year tribulation period" thing, but my "proof" is going by what pre-tribbers believe, not what I believe.)
This is all a no-brainer.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Ransom said:

This is all a no-brainer.

Anishinaabe

Well, it should be.  Tell me you don't know pre-tribbers who find a way to explain away this verse.  Even as big a name as Dwight Pentecost did that.

You have no idea how many times I have sat there waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

Not always a bad thing. At least I have my seat for the evening service. Then I leave when they turn the lights off.

The Rogue Tomato said:

OK . . . well, thanks for the obvious.