How long does it take

Bob said:
jimmudcatgrant said:
Just me said:
How long does it take to remove the IFBx legalistic behavior and thinking once finally departing ways with IFBXdom? 

decades in the system before walking away and it was imbedded very deeply......

It took decades to tell that you were being taught wrong?  Don't blame the system, blame yourself and move on and try everything by the word of God from now on.

Don't blame Just me. The greater responsibility lies with the teachers. They will be held to the higher accountability.  When you are taught something from someone in authority whom you are supposed to trust, you normally accept it, until such time as you feel that you cannot trust them.  For some people, that takes decades.  Some people are more inclined to follow.  I do not blame Just Me. I blame the pastors and teachers who led him astray.

Yes you are correct Bob.  That is another way they control and manipulate people.  They teach trust and obedience to authority (the preacher mainly) at all times.  Never question authority (again the preacher) and if you do you are not a proper Christian/servant.  I heard many sermons about always submitting to authority and about God placing the authority in our lives to obey and follow. 

Just took me several years to see through all the smoke and mirrors.

Just me said:
  That is another way they control and manipulate people.  They teach trust and obedience to authority (the preacher mainly) at all times.  Never question authority (again the preacher) and if you do you are not a proper Christian/servant.  I heard many sermons about always submitting to authority and about God placing the authority in our lives to obey and follow. 

I used to live at a homeless shelter that taught that. They saw any challenge at all as a threat, and they taught that any failure to comply with their orders was "rebellion", and by extension, rebellion against God. One of their leaders even went so far as to say that disobeying them even unintentionally was still a sin.

wheatpenny said:
Just me said:
  That is another way they control and manipulate people.  They teach trust and obedience to authority (the preacher mainly) at all times.  Never question authority (again the preacher) and if you do you are not a proper Christian/servant.  I heard many sermons about always submitting to authority and about God placing the authority in our lives to obey and follow. 

I used to live at a homeless shelter that taught that. They saw any challenge at all as a threat, and they taught that any failure to comply with their orders was "rebellion", and by extension, rebellion against God. One of their leaders even went so far as to say that disobeying them even unintentionally was still a sin.

Who ran it?

Just me said:
Bob said:
jimmudcatgrant said:
Just me said:
How long does it take to remove the IFBx legalistic behavior and thinking once finally departing ways with IFBXdom? 

30 years in the system before walking away and it was imbedded very deeply......

It took 30 years to tell that you were being taught wrong?  Don't blame the system, blame yourself and move on and try everything by the word of God from now on.

Don't blame Just me. The greater responsibility lies with the teachers. They will be held to the higher accountability.  When you are taught something from someone in authority whom you are supposed to trust, you normally accept it, until such time as you feel that you cannot trust them.  For some people, that takes 30 years.  Some people are more inclined to follow.  I do not blame Just Me. I blame the pastors and teachers who led him astray.

Yes you are correct Bob.  That is another way they control and manipulate people.  They teach trust and obedience to authority (the preacher mainly) at all times.  Never question authority (again the preacher) and if you do you are not a proper Christian/servant.  I heard many sermons about always submitting to authority and about God placing the authority in our lives to obey and follow. 

I prithee, make not the mistake I made. I just about wrote all fundamentalists off.  But I realized after a while that there are some real, genuine servants of the Living God who have seen though the smoke and mirrors and continue to love people and have thrown off the shackles, but stayed in Fundamentalism.

Bob said:
Just me said:
Bob said:
jimmudcatgrant said:
Just me said:

It took decades to tell that you were being taught wrong?  Don't blame the system, blame yourself and move on and try everything by the word of God from now on.

Don't blame Just me. The greater responsibility lies with the teachers. They will be held to the higher accountability.  When you are taught something from someone in authority whom you are supposed to trust, you normally accept it, until such time as you feel that you cannot trust them.  For some people, that takes decades.  Some people are more inclined to follow.  I do not blame Just Me. I blame the pastors and teachers who led him astray.

I prithee, make not the mistake I made. I just about wrote all fundamentalists off.  But I realized after a while that there are some real, genuine servants of the Living God who have seen though the smoke and mirrors and continue to love people and have thrown off the shackles, but stayed in Fundamentalism.

Thanks and I have not.  My family still attends an IFB church.  Only we spent much time and prayer before joining.  Many visits observing and many meetings and questions with the pastor before joining.  Only wished we had joined this one all those years ago instead of the IFBx one we joined!!!!!!  But through it all God has keep the entire family unit intact and serving our Lord.  He has truly been good to us despite the vicious events of our departure from the cult IFBx mentality.

Bob said:
wheatpenny said:
Just me said:

Who ran it?

Some evangelicals. It was the Union Rescue Mission in Los Angeles.

The Original Super Lovable Fantastic Bob said:
Just me said:
Bob said:
jimmudcatgrant said:
Just me said:

30 years in the system before walking away and it was imbedded very deeply......

It took 30 years to tell that you were being taught wrong?  Don't blame the system, blame yourself and move on and try everything by the word of God from now on.

Don't blame Just me. The greater responsibility lies with the teachers. They will be held to the higher accountability.  When you are taught something from someone in authority whom you are supposed to trust, you normally accept it, until such time as you feel that you cannot trust them.  For some people, that takes 30 years.  Some people are more inclined to follow.  I do not blame Just Me. I blame the pastors and teachers who led him astray.

It is unfortunate that some who leave the IFBx turn bitter against God and leave church altogether. They blame God for what they experienced at the hands of wicked men. I never blamed God, nor was I bitter toward him. I do admit that when I was coming out of the IFBx movement I did leave church for an extended period of time, but I spent that time in prayer and Bible study. I became closer to God during that time and contrary to what one might think, He used that time I spent away from church to heal my Spirit. I read the Bible without the preconceived ideas that I had been exposed to for 29 years. While my understanding of salvation has changed, today I am still a Baptist and I am still a fundamentalist.

Miller said:
The Original Super Lovable Fantastic Bob said:
Just me said:
Bob said:
jimmudcatgrant said:
Just me said:

It is unfortunate that some who leave the IFBx turn bitter against God and leave church altogether. They blame God for what they experienced at the hands of wicked men. I never blamed God, nor was I bitter toward him. I do admit that when I was coming out of the IFBx movement I did leave church for an extended period of time, but I spent that time in prayer and Bible study. I became closer to God during that time and contrary to what one might think, He used that time I spent away from church to heal my Spirit. I read the Bible without the preconceived ideas that I had been exposed to for 29 years. While my understanding of salvation has changed, today I am still a Baptist and I am still a fundamentalist.

That is good to hear Miller.  :)

I never left church and I neve walked away from God. I just lost faith in the Fundamentalist movement. I saw so much corruption of the soul. I saw so much hatred, manipulation, damage control, people living in abject fear of the pastor or deacons.  It really turned me off to leadership for so long.

My current pastor has restored that. He is transparent and lives by what he preaches.

I'm kinda up in the air as to what to do myself. I still attend an IFB church, and hear great preaching all the time. For me, it is not so much the preaching that has got me concerned, it is the system as a whole. The way a church is ran. I think the business side has really become too important for a lot of churches.
Problem is...there are not any good alternatives around here...that I know of.

Bro Blue said:
I'm kinda up in the air as to what to do myself. I still attend an IFB church, and hear great preaching all the time. For me, it is not so much the preaching that has got me concerned, it is the system as a whole. The way a church is ran. I think the business side has really become too important for a lot of churches.
Problem is...there are not any good alternatives around here...that I know of.

Where are you?

Bro Blue said:

Southern Baptists are not evil. I am sure there are some close to you.

And there is another kind  in Ocean Springs MS, but it is not Baptist.  How far is that?

I think it depends on how indoctrinated you were in the system.  But when God opens your eyes to it it may take awhile to leave that pattern of thought but God will guide you through the process. 

I think "The Grace Awakening" by Swindoll is an excellent read for those coming out of IFBX'erism.

There are many that will blame the folks who got them involved or even God.  But I figured if He had me go through all of that and brought me out there must have been good reason for it.  No bitterness or hatred towards God or those still caught up in it.  There is a lot pity for those who have bought into it lock, stock and barrel. 

I wasn't raised up in it. However the best preaching I've ever heard has been there. I have been a fanatical reader since age 5 and have pretty good comprehension skills. In the past year I have really been questioning certain things and have been doing my homework. When you are a spiritual babe you will swallow all kinds of things though. I'm catching on though. Just got to plot my course.

Bro Blue said:
I wasn't raised up in it. However the best preaching I've ever heard has been there. I have been a fanatical reader since age 5 and have pretty good comprehension skills. In the past year I have really been questioning certain things and have been doing my homework. When you are a spiritual babe you will swallow all kinds of things though. I'm catching on though. Just got to plot my course.

For me and my family it all started with the realization of the improper position the IFBx church we were in had on authority.  The clear miss interpretation of the "touch not mine anointed" issue and the clear abuse of authority because of it.  That was the beginning and the eyes kept on opening to it all after that.  It took several years to put it all together and walk but we are so glad we did.  The difficulty now is the deeply rooted mindset and not looking at the everything in life with the IFBx glasses we always have used in the past. 

My turning point began with the tithing issue, and took off from there. I kept hearing that God would bless us if we tithe (and I had been tithing 4 yrs already), and we could expect God to get it one way or another. And I didn't have a problem with it until a thought came to me. If we are under grace and not law...then if the curse of the law does not apply to me, then neither does the blessing. I did an in depth study on it, and have been a God robber ever since. ;)  It also started me down the path of really examining everything I hear.

It took many years for me to get most of the ingrained IFB garbage out of my system. I find that at times, some of it still pops up from time to time.