I have a question

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
This is going to be way out of the realm of anything you probably thought about today but here goes.

During the Civil War there were battles with many men killed. Often times they had to quickly bury these men in unmarked graves. I read where there were times when they would come back and dig up and rebury men properly but they surely couldn't have gotten them all. My question is; Are there a lot of people still buried wherever in places where a lot of action took place? Is it very possible for someone to buy a piece of land and decide to build something and dig up bones? If so, how is this kind of thing handled?

BALAAM said:
This is going to be way out of the realm of anything you probably thought about today but here goes.

During the Civil War there were battles with many men killed. Often times they had to quickly bury these men in unmarked graves. I read where there were times when they would come back and dig up and rebury men properly but they surely couldn't have gotten them all. My question is; Are there a lot of people still buried wherever in places where a lot of action took place? Is it very possible for someone to buy a piece of land and decide to build something and dig up bones? If so, how is this kind of thing handled?
My first impression would be to call the police.

How it's handled would depend on local laws and ordinances.

But it's just not Civil War casualties, think of all those who've died coming West in wagon trains, or explorers, settlers, etc.

There is no doubt thousands of unknown/unmarked graves.

BALAAM said:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/fredericksburg/bones-discovered-at-fredericksburg-park-may-have-been-those-of/article_afdc5776-58aa-54b4-a1be-71d38be593f4.html