IFB Authored Books

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
On another thread BALAAM commented about the lack of good Bible study books written in recent years by IFB.  I believe this may be a topic that validates its own thread.  If BALAAM wouldn't mind I would like him to re-post his thoughts.

Does the Ruckman Reference Bible count?

Without a doubt, the best set of commentaries written by an IFB are those written by Ruckman (let the hate begin).

Second behind that would be any book written by James Knox.

Then (in no particular order), Laurence Vance, Sam Gipp,  Ken Blue, Al Lacy, Doug Stauffer, Bill Grady.  Then there are a plethora of "one-hit wonders" which would take time to compile.

I would write my own series of books, but alas, I am way too busy winning souls and door knocking.

RAIDER said:
On another thread BALAAM commented about the lack of good Bible study books written in recent years by IFB.  I believe this may be a topic that validates its own thread.  If BALAAM wouldn't mind I would like him to re-post his thoughts.

Did you just fall out of the tree yesterday? Re-Post my thoughts? What thoughts?  That was half an hour ago. Those thoughts blew out with the same amount of effort they blew in with. (No I am not a blond)

Clarence Sexton and Dennis Corle have both written the equivalent of commentaries that I have found profitable on several books of the Bible. The GARB guys put out some decent stuff. Other than that, for commentaries, I have to go to dead guys, most of whom, other than Oliver B. Greene and John R. Rice, aren't Baptist.

...but I sure do love the dead guys. I can trust 'em. I can see where the arc of their ministry took them, and thus how/what I ought to beware of in their writing.

The larger point, though, of Balaam's, was spot on. Either my tastes have changed or our movement is intellectually dwarfed, or both. The last time I was at Pastors' School was about five years ago. I drove from here (Chicago) specifically to look through the book tables and then come back home. The only two books that impressed me, out of an entire building full of book tables, was Brad Strand's Bible and a 1000 page book on Calvinism put out by a guy from PCC. The rest was just fluff.

RAIDER said:

I won't do this verbatim but here goes:
My concern and thought has always been that if fundamentalists, for lack of a better word, are supposed to be so in tune with the scriptures and they believe that the Bible is the basis and key for all we think and believe and practice, then why don't the guys who are fundamentalists who write books write books with a Bible book or Bible teaching as the basis for their material? I am aware of only a few.

Jack Hyles was a prolific author and a lot of people read his books and yet apart from Revelation, I believe Daniel, and the Psalms I don't think any of his books were solely based on the Bible. They were mostly "How-To" books. Bob Gray pretty much the same. Schaap was pretty much the same. Oliver B Green is the only one who is somewhat of the same generation who has Bible based books.

They will criticize a John MacArthur from the highest hill but most of his books are teaching something with the Bible as the basis. Jimmy Swaggart is a pentecostal but he has written a bunch of commentaries on books of the Bible and his latest is on David. Now think about this: If the Bible is the only food that will satisfy the longing soul and a christian is hungry for the Bible and biblical knowledge; Where is he going to gravitate to?

It just seems to me, and this is only my opinion of course, that most of the stuff I see from the fundamental side has its roots in a man who looks around and sees something he doesn't like and decides to write what his thoughts are about the subject and try to find a biblical parallel to go along with it so they can feel they are biblical. Now, most of you will never do this and God only knows how I started but I will often look up church websites and go through their statements of faith. Now they are pretty much all the same but they always make a statement and have about 15 scripture references as proof texts. It would shock the daylights out of you when you look up these proof texts and see quite a few that have absolutely nothing to do with the statement in their statement of faith! Possible mistakes or misprints but it kind of shocks me.

That's it! I have decided that I am going to write a commentary. I think I will start with Obadiah!

John Phillips is about as close to a quality IFB commentator as you will get. (He went to Bobby Roberson's church before he died)
Oliver B. Greene's books are ok.
Was Vance Havner IFB? I like his books.
Would Jim Berg from Bob Jones be considered IFB?

Other than these I cannot think of an IFB writer that is deserving of being paid for his books.

Tom Brennan said:
Clarence Sexton and Dennis Corle have both written the equivalent of commentaries that I have found profitable on several books of the Bible.

The larger point, though, of Balaam's, was spot on. Either my tastes have changed or our movement is intellectually dwarfed, or both.

Corle's books are a joke, barely readable. I agree completely with your next statement.

Exell said:
John Phillips is about as close to a quality IFB commentator as you will get. (He went to Bobby Roberson's church before he died)

Other than these I cannot think of an IFB writer that is deserving of being paid for his books.

I LOVE John Phillips commentaries...especially his commentary on Romans. Anything he writes is gold to me.

Our church uses the Sunday School materials from Regular Baptist Press, and the adult curriculum usually is a very practical layman's level commentary on books or parts of books. These SS curriculum books blow any purely IFB books out of the water.

RAIDER said:

I have many books authored by IFBs. I never read them though. Most of them are about church growth, "revival," or leadership. Almost none of them do any in depth study on a book of the Bible or a doctrine.

When it comes to buying books, I generally avoid IFB authors (most the IFB books I have were given to me). To tell you the truth, I just don't trust the scholarship behind most of them.

Tom Brennan said:
Clarence Sexton and Dennis Corle have both written the equivalent of commentaries that I have found profitable on several books of the Bible. The GARB guys put out some decent stuff.

As a Crown grad, I'm a little biased here, but I do like Clarence Sexton's books a bit. Having said that, I came to pastor our church 2 years ago with a huge stack of Crown Sunday School books that I intended to use only to ditch that plan as soon as I took one look at a Regular Baptist Press book. Dr. Sexton's books are good, but RBP was a whole lot better.

One booklet Dr. Sexton wrote that I really love is called "The Emperor and the Baby." It is a Christmas booklet meant to be an evangelistic tool. It is a great little read.

Boomer said:
I have many books authored by IFBs. I never read them though. Most of them are about church growth, "revival," or leadership. Almost none of them do any in depth study on a book of the Bible or a doctrine.

As Ed Reese ance said, "Books aren't to read, they are to file!"  :)

IFB X-Files said:
Without a doubt, the best set of commentaries written by an IFB are those written by Ruckman (let the hate begin).

Second behind that would be any book written by James Knox.

Then (in no particular order), Laurence Vance, Sam Gipp,  Ken Blue, Al Lacy, Doug Stauffer, Bill Grady.  Then there are a plethora of "one-hit wonders" which would take time to compile.

I would write my own series of books, but alas, I am way too busy winning souls and door knocking.

I had a good friend in college who had a few of Ruckman's commentaries.  He loved them.  He kept them hid for obvious reasons.  :)

I have a couple of books written by James Knox.  He seems to focus strongly on the Scriptures.

I was looking at your author list.  You wouldn't happen to lean a little bit toward the dispensational view, would you?  :)

RAIDER said:
Boomer said:

As Ed Reese ance said, "Books aren't to read, they are to file!"  :)

I could have worded that better. I have read some of them...or perhaps some of some of them.

The only IFB author I really like is John R. Rice (Was he even IFB? He died when I was 2.) Though I don't agree with everything Rice wrote, I have found much of his writings helpful. I loved his book on prayer.

Boomer said:
I could have worded that better. I have read some of them...or perhaps some of some of them.

The only IFB author I really like is John R. Rice (Was he even IFB? He died when I was 2.) Though I don't agree with everything Rice wrote, I have found much of his writings helpful. I loved his book on prayer.

I am the same way.  I have read a lot of my books, but many of them are used for reference.
I was at HAC when Dr. Rice preached his final sermon there.  He was weak had to sit down a couple of times.  He preached on prayer.  Some of the Sword staff were there with him.  They sold his books at a very reduced price.  I purchased most of them that week.  I do refer to his commentaries from time-to-time.  I do not find most of them very in depth.

BALAAM said:
It just seems to me, and this is only my opinion of course, that most of the stuff I see from the fundamental side has its roots in a man who looks around and sees something he doesn't like and decides to write what his thoughts are about the subject and try to find a biblical parallel to go along with it so they can feel they are biblical. Now, most of you will never do this and God only knows how I started but I will often look up church websites and go through their statements of faith. Now they are pretty much all the same but they always make a statement and have about 15 scripture references as proof texts. It would shock the daylights out of you when you look up these proof texts and see quite a few that have absolutely nothing to do with the statement in their statement of faith! Possible mistakes or misprints but it kind of shocks me.

That's it! I have decided that I am going to write a commentary. I think I will start with Obadiah!

lol about Obadiah.  I think I'll try Jude ... or Psalm 117.

Another reason it seems an IFB might "write" a "book" is to brag on his experiences.  One example is Hyles Science of the Christian Life.  Over the holidays I was at someone's house and saw Schaap's A Fresh Anointing.  Having some theological red flags going off just from the title, I perused it.  I scanned through 3 or 4 chapters and was astounded at how similar and repetitive they were to one another.  Pretty much every one of them talked about not listening to rock music and being nice to people.

I went through a period of incredible disillusionment and sin a few years ago.  The Bible mostly - along with solid, Scripturally sound, well-written books were what God used mightily in my life to strengthen my faith and empower my battles with sin.  It's depressing to think of the lack of sound Biblical teaching that would be available to me if I were to only read the types of books written by IFB.

The stuff these guys put out is not only embarrassing, it does great disservice to their "followers" who avoid reading the incredible stuff that's out there (Tripp, Keller, Chan, Lucado, etc., etc.) in favor of the foolish boasting or shallow advice-giving of these guys who seem to have outright disdain for true Biblical scholarship and application.

[quote author=Bull City Justice]The stuff these guys put out is not only embarrassing, it does great disservice to their "followers" who avoid reading the incredible stuff that's out there (Tripp, Keller, Chan, Lucado, etc., etc.)...[/quote]

Wright, Lewis, Piper, Erre, Yancey, Spong (kidding!), Sider, Noll, Peterson, Willard, Stott....

;)

The stuff these guys put out is not only embarrassing, it does great disservice to their "followers" who avoid reading the incredible stuff that's out there (Tripp, Keller, Chan, Lucado, etc., etc.) in favor of the foolish boasting or shallow advice-giving of these guys who seem to have outright disdain for true Biblical scholarship and application.

To me, you hit the nail on the head with "embarrassing". I was suckered in so many times, but eventually grew wise...when an announcement was made from the pulpit that "_____________ has a new book for sale after the service today...it is something you will absolutely want to have, it is the greatest book ever written on the subject of ________________. $20.95 each, or three for a dollar" I at first, like everyone else, felt compelled to lunge at the book selling table and dutifully purchase.

It took me SO long to realize it wasn't me...these were just shallow, unscholarly, little diddies that got called 'books' because they were written on paper, bound and printed.

Why is everything purported to be "the greatest" or "the most amazing"? Whether it be a sermon or a 'book' or a Sunday School lesson? I really, really don't understand (or appreciate or believe) the hyperbole. If EVERYTHING is great, then NOTHING is great.

At any rate, I am devouring the works of Keller, Willard, and Tchividjian presently. What a wealth of knowledge and insight to be gained. For far too long, I believed it would be wrong to read anything written outside "our camp". ((sadly shakes head))

rsc2a said:
[quote author=Bull City Justice]The stuff these guys put out is not only embarrassing, it does great disservice to their "followers" who avoid reading the incredible stuff that's out there (Tripp, Keller, Chan, Lucado, etc., etc.)...

Wright, Lewis, Piper, Erre, Yancey, Spong (kidding!), Sider, Noll, Peterson, Willard, Stott....

;)
[/quote]

touche  ;)  Chandler, Driscoll, Grudem, Mahaney, DeYoung, Wilson, McLaren (kidding!), Chester, Carson

Boomer said:
Exell said:

I LOVE John Phillips commentaries...especially his commentary on Romans. Anything he writes is gold to me.

Our church uses the Sunday School materials from Regular Baptist Press, and the adult curriculum usually is a very practical layman's level commentary on books or parts of books. These SS curriculum books blow any purely IFB books out of the water.

I also find Phillips extremely profitable...RBP, not so much :).
I find Phillips and MacArthur to almost always give me something spiritually challenging and profitable!